Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric violin to midi? (is it possible)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

If you're talking about something similar to a Midi pickup for a guitar I doubt it'd be possible... I was looking into it a while ago and apparently the Midi pickups determine the pitch through the maths (distance from the pickup that you push down the string) somehow? As opposed to the actual pitch of the note. Anyways, I doubt they have that kind of thing for violin.

Your alternative idea sounds promising? But I really wouldn't be able to tell you for definite either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not really do-able. I've a MIDI guitar pickup and guitar synth, and it works by having an individual pickup for each string, then transmitting string information back to the synth one by one. It 'tracks' the strings, and as a result, there's always a little latency. The pickup has 6 nodes for the 6 strings.

You'd need to get a 4 string MINI Pickup for a violin, but looking at my violin, the bridge would make that setup impossible. Unless you could make some sort of second bridge close to the main bridge, and cut the top off it to fit in the pickup - which may not even exist.

What you're asking about is converting an analogue sound waveform into MIDI, which is nigh on impossible to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Not sure, but this may be something along the lines of what youre looking for:

http://silzel.com/MIDI-VIOLIN/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What you're asking about is converting an analogue sound waveform into MIDI, which is nigh on impossible to do.

http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

El Pr0n wrote: »

I was very interested in buying that until I read somewhere it can't handle the ability to change chords into midi, just single notes. Is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

flyswatter wrote: »
    I was very interested in buying that until I read somewhere it can't handle the ability to change chords into midi, just single notes. Is that correct?

Yeah, it's monophonic.

Advertisement