Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about female dog on heat?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

i have a female terrier cross dog who we got neutered about two months ago, last saturday she went missing and we expected the worst as we live in ballinasloe and alot of dogs were stolen as the horse fair is on, but then on tuesday we arrived home to the dog :D she was a bit unsettled and didnt like staying inside even though normally we cant get her out.
    wednesday she was inside all morning and was let out for less than five mins for a toilet break, when we went to get her she was gone and hasnt been back since so sorry for the long story but my main question is :
    if female dogs are neutered do they still stray off during heat?
    all help gladly accepted :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

clairek6 wrote: »
    i have a female terrier cross dog who we got neutered about two months ago, last saturday she went missing and we expected the worst as we live in ballinasloe and alot of dogs were stolen as the horse fair is on, but then on tuesday we arrived home to the dog :D she was a bit unsettled and didnt like staying inside even though normally we cant get her out.
    wednesday she was inside all morning and was let out for less than five mins for a toilet break, when we went to get her she was gone and hasnt been back since so sorry for the long story but my main question is :
    if female dogs are neutered do they still stray off during heat?
    all help gladly accepted :P

Female dogs that have been neutered (spayed) won't come into heat. Why do you think she's in heat? Are there any signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

i thought that, but i just cant understand why she is going off wandering.. she has a great home here and lots of attention so i dont know... she was very restless the day she came home to us and now shes gone again

Has anything changed at home, any new additions, human or animal? Anything you can think of thats different that might be unsettling her?

no nothing at all, i'll just have to see if she'l come back, im hopin she will :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Do you think another family/person in the area are feeding her or taking her in, believing she's a stray and she's going to them? We had a dog who used to go 'missing', until we discovered our new neighbours had taken her in believing she was, in their words, 'a very well looked after stray'.

If/when she returns, you could try supervising her when you let her out, or else take her for a walk on the lead, thus not giving her the opportunity to 'run off'.

Of, if you had the time and patience and were very curious, you could let her out and follow her and see where she goes?

• Advertisement

well she is very friendly so she would proberly go with anyone.
    she already did get a daily walk if not two,
    if she comes back i definately will, it was my mother not me who let her out the last day but she assured me it was a matter of minutes and she was gone,
    thanks very much for all your help:)

good news got a phone call from a poster i had up and shes back home now. hopefully shes got wandering out of her system! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's great you got her back! :)

Best of luck with her now!

Great news, had she gone very far?

not reallly about 15 mins away she went to a housing estate( which i walked threw looking for her earlier today!!):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

great to hear sge is back. horrible when pets go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure what you mean by wandered off if your garden is secure she may have been taken but if you just let her off in an unfenced garden then she is bound to potter off and go missing. My dogs would be off like a shot if we hadn't fenced them in.

Have you got a collar on her with an id tag with your details and her microchipped?

She won't get wandering out of her system though you've been lucky to get her back she could be hit by a car next time or stolen. Good fencing and double up on gates and locks if you have to.

Advertisement