Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview on The Last Word Today FM

• 07-10-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Who was Matt Cooper interviewing today and they guy started ranting at Matt calling the interview "bull****?

Only caught the end of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

James Ellroy. He is a crime author who was on to talk about his memoir until he got pissed off when Matt asked him about Tiger Woods for the first question.

His most famous work was probably LA Confidential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Probably a Green minister, was it about the idea of National Government?

edit! Obviously not! Elroy was on Pat Kennys show this morning, that interview went rather well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

James Ellroy. He is a crime author who was on to talk about his memoir until he got pissed off when Matt asked him about Tiger Woods for the first question.

His most famous work was probably LA Confidential.

Really, he had James Ellroy on and of all things he asked him about Tiger Woods. Whata muppet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

I only came in at the very beginning of is interview. I thought Matts Tiger Woods thing was a mistake and irrelevant.....but James Elroy did come across as a douche of the highest order in my opinion. Will have to listen to hear how Pat handled him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

uRbaN wrote: »
    I only came in at the very beginning of is interview. I thought Matts Tiger Woods thing was a mistake and irrelevant.....but James Elroy did come across as a douche of the highest order in my opinion. Will have to listen to hear how Pat handled him.

He's a bit of a "Character". Bloody good author though.

L.A. Confidential, the movie, is the best thing that happened to me in my career that I had absolutely nothing to do with. It was a fluke—and a wonderful one—and it is never going to happen again—a movie of that quality. Here’s my final comment on L.A. Confidential, the movie: I go to a video store in Prairie Village, Kansas. The youngsters who work there know me as the guy who wrote L.A. Confidential. They tell all the little old ladies who come in there to get their G-rated family flick. They come up to me, they say, “OOOO… you wrote L.A. Confidential.... Oh, what a wonderful, wonderful movie. I saw it four times. You don’t see storytelling like that on the screen anymore.” I smile, I say, “Yes, it’s a wonderful movie, and a salutary adaptation of my wonderful novel. But listen, granny: You love the movie. Did you go out and buy the book?” And granny invariably says, “Well, no, I didn’t.” And I say to granny, “Then what the **** good are you to me?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What time was it on? You can listen again here: http://audiostore.todayfm.com/player/thursday.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

He sounded like a bit of a p***k TBH, like he was pissed.Whats his problem?:rolleyes: Matt must have touched a raw nerve:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pat's interview with him was pretty much a love in... Maybe he had a long day..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm sure that's not the first interview Ellroy has stormed out of. However, I still think Cooper handled it very poorly. I mean, come on, Matt, Tiger Woods - really? The subsequent questions were a bit accusatory as well. "Are you selfish?", etc. I think Matt is too used to interviewing politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bard wrote: »
    What time was it on? You can listen again here: http://audiostore.todayfm.com/player/thursday.html

Part 2

53 mins. in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think he shouldn't have written the book if he is unfit to answer questions about its contents.

Matt's 1st question about Tiger Woods was irrelevant, and he shouldn't have asked it, but the turning point in the short interview was when Elroy reacted negatively to Matt saying that Elroy had slept with prostitutes.

The "Are you selfish" question wasn't too bad, because he answered it, the next question seemed to madden him about persuading his current girlfriend to leave her husband and family for him.

I think Elroy came across really bad, fair play to Matt for playing the interview anyways, it was funny hearing Elroy call him an ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

your man sounded like a right idiot on a different planet with a seriously f**ked up mind. Matt copper odesnt really hold back on questions either. I heard that writer on pat the plank yesterday morning and sounded like a nice friendly chat rather then an interview and pat the plank was scared of offending the guy or asking "akward" questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

neris wrote: »
    your man sounded like a right idiot on a different planet with a seriously f**ked up mind. Matt copper odesnt really hold back on questions either. I heard that writer on pat the plank yesterday morning and sounded like a nice friendly chat rather then an interview and pat the plank was scared of offending the guy or asking "akward" questions

Lets be honest: Matt's uncomfortable with the unconventional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Juice Terry

Matt must have come off worst as that podcast is no longer on the Today FM/Last Word archive. Ellroy is, to put it mildly, a very intense character and definitely not everyone's cup of tea but surely the researchers or Cooper (given that he is the greatest 'know all' ever to present a radio show :D) should know better than to rile Ellroy with ridiculously irrelevant questions. And then, Matt tops it all off by literally accusing Ellroy of stealing another man's wife - which is completely incorrect; as any modicum of decent research would have made apparent.

Ellroy is arguably one of the greatest living writers of modern times. Anyone on here who got a negative perception of the man from that interview should put those views aside and judge him as writer by reading 'American Tabloid' and then his LA quarter from the late 80's, early 90's (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential, White Jazz). You WILL be converted if you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Any time I've heard Ellroy, he comes off as incredibly pretenious and precious in fairness!

Someone who always has this deep strained voice to every question he answers, but does not necessarily mean everything he is actually saying is 'right'.

Any time I've heard Ellroy, he comes off as incredibly pretenious and precious in fairness!

Someone who always has this deep strained voice to every question he answers, but does not necessarily mean everything he is actually saying is 'right'.

I couldn't agree more, SC Blues; he's the last person I'd be inviting to a party but he IS one hell of a writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I couldn't agree more, SC Blues; he's the last person I'd be inviting to a party but he IS one hell of a writer.

He's really in that mode here, LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JpmZJ1baU&feature=related

The BBC did a doc on him about 10 years ago just after he released 'My Dark Places', a book which was autobiographical and mostly centred on his mother's murder. It was painful to watch. But, I just plead with people to read him. Rankin, Connelly and even Lehane are in the haypenny place in comparison.

Advertisement