Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood season again

Options
  • 07-10-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

North channel in the city is really high. Bachelors Quay to Coal Quay partially flooded on the river side.

What's it like 'round your way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I just heard its flooded down by Deans Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Drove past union quay and copley street earlier. Pretty bad up there. Up by the clarion and the bus station too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Heading out of the city by Tivili under an hour ago it looked like there was a he'll of a lot of water on the way. Levels were very high with a strong wind. Didn't look good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What the hell? It hasn't even been raining much :confused:. I know high tide was at 5.30ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

A lot of it is just the wind pushing a swell up-river, I'd say. Surely worst is over if high tide was 5.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Still some serious bouts of rain for the last while.

I suppose as kenan and kel use to say "here we go again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

High tide in the morning (about 6:30) will be slightly higher with a strong (force 6-7) south-easterly wind.
    Get out your sand-bags. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hows the western road and that area by the maradyke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

And to make things worse the Tunnel was closed for maintenance. So at 9pm the was more traffic in the city than at 5pm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm in the city centre right now and it's wet but that's all. The river wasn't particularly high so I doubt there's too much cause for concern.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    I'm in the city centre right now and it's wet but that's all. The river wasn't particularly high so I doubt there's too much cause for concern.

Raining quite heavy alright, think we're getting all the rain whilst the rest of the country will be getting sunny 20 degrees! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Flood warning for low-lying areas of Cork
    Friday, 8 October 2010 11:02

Cork City Council has issued a flood warning for parts of the city for tonight and tomorrow.

The council said that a tidal surge together with southeast winds will increase the tide levels above normal.

The high tides are predicted for 6.41pm tonight, as well as 7.01am and 7.23pm tomorrow.

It said: 'It is possible that flooding may occur in the low-lying areas of the city centre including Sawmill Street, Cotter Street, Stable Lane, Union Quay, Morrisons Quay, Corn Market Street, Frenchs Quay, Wandesford Quay, Oliver Plunkett Street, Lavitts Quay, Kyrls Street & Kyrls Quay.'

The council has warned householders and business in the area to protect their property.

The city suffered badly from flooding last November, with the damage running into hundreds of millions of euro

Posted in the weather forum.

Looks like the city might be getting a bit damp.
    High tide here has flooded roads and fields and "here" high tide is about 30mins ahead of the city.
    Enjoy.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

River looked very high over by county hall.

Are we going to see a repeat of last years events??

River looked very high over by county hall.

Are we going to see a repeat of last years events??

Fortunately because there was no heavy rain to back up the river, not today.
    Tide is turning now so the peak has passed. ;)

Fortunately because there was no heavy rain to back up the river, not today.
    Tide is turning now so the peak has passed. ;)

And the ESB behave themselves

Advertisement