Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo farmer gored to death by a bull

Options
  • 07-10-2010 8:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

38-year-old Tomás Tierney from Killeenrevagh in south Mayo has become the 20th person to be killed on an Irish farm so far this year - only 13 people were killed in all of last year.

Mayo farmer gored to death by bull

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

What a terrible way to go out....RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

RIP thats terrible that he was killed and his father also died on the same farm its very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Ouch. He was so young too. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

RIP.

Horrible way to go. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mr Tierney was attacked by a Friesian bull when he entered a field to milk cows.

Common in these horrific events. Get between the bull and his cows and he'll likely charge

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Never trust a Friesian bull. Most dangerous of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

R.I.P, not a nice way to go at all:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

deman wrote: »
    Never trust a Friesian bull. Most dangerous of them all.

A Friesian bull calf about 2 years old or so are dangerous bucks alright.
    Especially if it is out to prove itself to the other cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Really, really sad. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Figures show that farming is still a pretty dangerous job
    Thing about bulls is that a lot of the time they aren't even trying to hurt the farmer, they're just playing but they're so damn strong. Not all the time of course...

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

awful RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

very sad indeed
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Jesus the guys father died on the same farm. That family must be utterly devastated. What a horrible christmas they have ahead of them.

Feckin hell, never really thought of farming as being dangerous. How wrong i was.

Im truely sorry for them.

Feckin hell, never really thought of farming as being dangerous. How wrong i was.

2nd most dangerous job in Ireland afaik, after construction site work.
    People are killed every year, and often it's children. Slurry pits be a common killer

Very sad and now twice in the same family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

2nd most dangerous job in Ireland afaik, after construction site work.
    People are killed every year, and often it's children. Slurry pits be a common killer

Very sad and now twice in the same family.

Awful thing to happen, RIP.

Can't trust animals, even the docile ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

RIP, poor divil, horrible way to go.

Farms are dangerous places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A vet was killed by a bull on a family friends farm when I was younger, I still get very on edge around cattle when they get into a run or circle around me. I know they're just curious, but I never fully trust any animal that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I go into fields a lot as part of what I do, but I'm always wary of bulls, even if the farmer says "He won't go near ya, lad". Cows with young calves can be dicey too.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

RIP to the chap who died, farming is hard enough for the small men these days without that kind of misfortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Familiarity breeds contempt.

It is always people who spent their whole life working with cattle. It just takes a split second of complacency or lack of concentration.
    RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Terrible. When i was young a neighbour lead his bull around, with a rope tied to its nose ring, with us beside him. I was uneasy but he assured us it was safe. Well i was young, i didn't know any better, but it's an insight into how those working with animals can be too casual/complacent about these things.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I go into fields a lot as part of what I do, but I'm always wary of bulls, even if the farmer says "He won't go near ya, lad". Cows with young calves can be dicey too.

Yeah. If i'm not mistaken there was a couple of cases in England this Summer where people were killed by Cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I used to chase them as a child, the cows, never the bull.

I saw a film where a child was killed by one, set in Mississippi or somewhere, I was traumatised.

I don't trust animals full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

One spot I shoot deer, you've to walk through several fields of cattle to get up the hill. Every time I walk in they start running over, assuming I have food. Hate the feckers, don't trust them for a second. Always much happier once I'm clear of them, would avoid them completely if I could.

RIP to this guy. It's a bad way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Horrible. Serious after hours thread for a change which is no harm and I'm glad its being treated as such. Farming is so dangerous, time pressures, money shortages, corners being cut, lack of training etc etc.
    My father was flattened by a heifer, pinned to the ground, badly bruised and frightened sometime last year. He was 85 at the time and a life long cattle farmer.
    My big bro was unfortunately one of those 20 fatalities in the last year, 4X4 accident on the farm on Stephens day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That's terrible and as a few posters said NEVER trust a bull. Even if the farmer said he's quiet.

My father does quite a bit of shooting. There was a farm we always went two where two elderly farmer brothers lived, since passed on. There were two medals of bravery up on the wall. One for was one of the brothers who, during world war two, took out a German machine gun by himself and saved loads of troops.

The other was for the other brother for shooting a bull. The story went that a bull had gored a neighbour and that the doctor couldn't get into the field to treat him as the bull was charging at everyone. The elderly farmer, a young man at the time, stepped into the field with his gun and waited for the bull to charge. He waited until the bull was only a few feet away and shot him in the head and the bull dropped dead at his feet. The neighbour survived. Nerves of steel.

Happened a neighbour of our in the Mid west about 6-7 years or so.
    The farmer, his wife and son loading the bull to go to the factory.
    Bull went loose, pinned the farmer to the wall and gored to death.

Horrendous :(
    As said though, doesn't have to bull, a cow could easily go for you too

I suppose if you can take one good thing out of this, you will see how the community will rally around the family and take turns at the milking and other work as the family recovers.
    Young man at 38 so neighbours help is needed and appreciated

Real community spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

A friend's father was gored to death by his bull a few years ago. Very sad.

A couple of years ago I went down to my parents for the weekend. Took the kids for a walk which leads down through a local farm. Turned back when I saw the amount of bulls in his fields. He had 70 there apparently, keeping them there for a couple of days till they were loaded up for the mart or something. I would have thought that was madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I gather what's happening now on some farms, is that instead of castrating the buggers at birth they're left balls and hormones intact for, say two years.

Bigger animal, more meat, apparently.

Of course that also means that they behave as aggressively and irrationally as human teenagers would, with rather unsafe consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours -> Mayo
    There is a thread in Farming already and people may want to give their condolences.

RIP.

Advertisement