Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iker Casillas or Gigi Buffon?

• 07-10-2010 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

This one was always divided down the middle. In 2007 a bit more people would have said Buffon, but I wonder if Spains Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010 would have swayed the argument.

I think Casillas takes it, but I think both of them are not at their peak for the club sides ATM.

Who is the better goalie: Iker Casillas or Gigi Buffon? 30 votes

Casillas
    0% 0 votes
    Buffon
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Casillas for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Casillas every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

At the moment I'd go for Casillas. But overall it's pretty hard choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Poll added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Definitely Buffon, he is the greatest of all time. Casillas can make the occasional error which Buffon doesnt do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i can't vote against Buffon.

Casillas is prone to more mistakes than people would like to admit, even though he is probably the best shot-stopper in the world.

Buffon has it all, and is as solid as there has been.

if both are fit, it's Gigi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

SlickRic wrote: »
    i can't vote against Buffon.

Casillas is prone to more mistakes than people would like to admit, even though he is probably the best shot-stopper in the world.

Buffon has it all, and is as solid as there has been.

if both are fit, it's Gigi.

Agree with this, Buffon for me.

Well for all the mistakes Casillas makes, he keeps out in good saves he makes I think. He can make mistakes, but always shows up on the big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CorkMan wrote: »
    Well for all the mistakes Casillas makes, he keeps out in good saves he makes I think. He can make mistakes, but always shows up on the big time.

true.

i agree 100%.

but that's irrelevant; IMO Gigi makes less mistakes, commands his area better and is only slightly worse at shot-stopping.

therefore my answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Buffon is the better keeper. A bit injury prone as of late, but he is definitely the better keeper. I think Casillas makes mistakes that you wouldn't see Buffon making.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

SlickRic wrote: »
    true.

i agree 100%.

but that's irrelevant; IMO Gigi makes less mistakes, commands his area better and is only slightly worse at shot-stopping.

therefore my answer :)

^^^^^^^^^^

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its incredibly tight but I'll go Casillas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gigi for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Buffon for me.

His all round game is much better, casilles is a good shot stoppre but I put him in the category of Shay Given.

Good shot stopper but very average if not poor in other departments like ball retention, distribution and commanding his area, catching crosses.

As a longtime goalkeeper these are the things that make a good goalkeeper, the easy part is diving and knocking a ball away, unfortunately those whove never played in goal think thats the sign of a fantastic keeper :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Buffon, when fully fit is a clear winner for me. Only Schmeichal would give him a run for his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Buffon by a distance.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Buffon for me.

His all round game is much better, casilles is a good shot stoppre but I put him in the category of Shay Given.

Good shot stopper but very average if not poor in other departments like ball retention, distribution and commanding his area, catching crosses.

As a longtime goalkeeper these are the things that make a good goalkeeper, the easy part is diving and knocking a ball away, unfortunately those whove never played in goal think thats the sign of a fantastic keeper :P

1) I think Casillas is world class at distrubition. I have seen him throw on the break-away, aim for a player on the half way line and the ball would literally land on the players feet. He can throw in vast distances and it would slide perfectly for the player.

2) I think the onus in Spain is to punch the ball when it comes in (corners, dangerous flights in), it is the main way in Spain. ie Reina, Valdes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Buffon, and by a bigger margin than most people are saying.

Can't wait until he's fit again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gigi by a loooooooooooooon way.

Iker is amazing but Buffon is the best of the last 30 odd years anyway, probably only Lev Yashin could beat him to the title of best of all time.

Julio Cesar vs Iker Casillas would be closer IMO (as in, who's second best after Buffon).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

tight up until recently, but who is better overall? Buffon tbh.

I would only put smeichael near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Love both, but for me its Buffon.

Top quality keeper and has always been that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Buffon, you see Casillas making far more basic errors tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Casillas for me.

He had two below par seasons (08/09 was especially bad for him) before the World Cup but he was outstanding in it. He kept his nerve when he needed to most in the final when twice he denied one of last season's most lethal finishers with his sharp judgment. He's a top class shot-stopper and he inspires confidence in his defence, two essential qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A couple of years ago I would have said Buffon, but now I'd say Casillas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    tight up until recently, but who is better overall? Buffon tbh.

I would only put smeichael near him.

Who? :D

Buffon for me. If it said Oliver Kahn or Buffon that would be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gotta be casillas...

I remember when liverpool beat madrid 4-1... he made some amazing saves that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Buffon all the way for me. He is the complete package whereas Casillas is not the greatest at coming for crosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Buffon is great. The passion he had was immense. After penalty saves I always thought he'd explode with joy.

Casillas is great though.

• Advertisement

Buffon is great. The passion he had was immense. After penalty saves I always thought he'd explode with joy.

He isn't dead (or even retired) you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Both have waned in recent seasons. San Iker is a fantastic keeper but it's defo Gigi for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Who? :D

Buffon for me. If it said Oliver Kahn or Buffon that would be tough.

I'm never trying to post his name on my phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Buffon has no weakness, he controls and commands his area, he takes catches from corners and free kicks, distribution is also very good, also great shotstopper. You never see Buffon make a lot of great saves and that is because his positioning and expectation of shots is that good.

Casillas is only good at as a shotstopper, he needs to improve commanding of his area that Buffon does with ease.

Advertisement