Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 Year Old - maintenance grant eligibility. Please HELP!

Options
  • 07-10-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I have a very big problem. I am a student who is from a country outside the EU (Russia) who has lived here for almost 10 years. I have attended school since 1st class and completed the leaving cert. I have now gone into college and my parents paid my 1.5K registration fee. We are very short on money and I really need the maintenance grant however my eligibility is questionable :( . I have a stamp 4 card which allows me to leave to remain in ireland and i meet all the requirements to be eligible. However, I got my stamp 4 card automatically because my parents got it too. The VEC sent me a letter asking on what grounds my parents received the card in order to tell me if I'm eligible. My parents received the card because they are parents of an IBC '05 - Irish born child. To be eligible for the grant you have to hold a stamp 4 card by any means except if you are a parent of an IBC.

On citizensinformation.ie it states that:

foreign national parents granted leave to remain under the Irish Born Child Scheme (IBC/05) are not eligible for maintenance grants or free fees for third-level education.
    (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/refugee-status-and-leave-to-remain/leave-to-remain)

However I am not a parent. I am a sibling under 18.

On this website (http://migration.ucc.ie/cdvec.htm#6) it states that:

up until the age 18 all children within the state have the same right to education. If a non-EEA sibling turns 18 and has not acquired citizenship, they could be deported from the State. Furthermore, even if they acquired their parents residency status, the current restrictions - not being treated as an EU national in regard to third level education - will apply to them also. Not only do we have a situation where some children in a family have more rights than others, but also there will be a whole generation of young adults that will be effectively excluded from third level education unless the Government either legislates or issues a policy statement. However, this will not even matter if they are deported to their country of origin when they become adults. Indeed, the State will have to take action to alleviate the precarious situation that these children will find themselves in.

I am under 18 now so does this mean I am entitled for the grant? Also how can I apply to the state to change this law in the next year when I will be 18 and Definitely not entitled to the grant?
    Thanks

What do you guys think AM I ELIGIBLE NOW WHILE I'M 17 and who do you think I should contact for help? I have to get the grant by any means necessary as ALL my education was in Ireland and I want to continue and apply for citizenship.
    Thanks for looking at my post and please post a reply. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

You're probably a very rare case. Probably a unique on. Best thing to do is ring up and ask straight out. i would be doubtful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

you need to talk to the foreign affairs people about your status in the country.

while you might not agree with the scheme..the way it is worded is not an accident. there can be little arguement but that changes made to various state schemes in recent times are designed to exclude people........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Furthermore, even if they acquired their parents residency status, the current restrictions - not being treated as an EU national in regard to third level education - will apply to them also.

This would indicate that you are not eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ptwitb

Thanks for your reply's. I believe that I should be eligible. This law (to exclude parents of IBC) was made in 1990 and has not been changed since. There isn't a lot of people with my status in the country and others are confused about my situation but still believe that I should be entitled because it is unfair. I will try my best to contact government officials to help me. Can anyone suggest who I can contact? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

the ombudsman could possibly review it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 inbits

These people should help.
    http://www.mrci.ie/

Advertisement