Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance...help!

• 07-10-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice here, any help much appreciated. Up until 1 month ago I was living with my friend in a rented house. Having been laid off 18 months ago, I was receiving supp. rent allowance of €42 per week, the rent being €75 pw. A few months ago we were told that we would have to move out when our lease expired as the landlord was looking to sell the house. This came to pass last month and me and my friend moved to a house which he recently inherited as his own. We agreed that I would live here for the time being until I can get a place on my own and we agreed that I can pay him €75 per week as before. This was all fine till I informed the local welfare officer who told me in no uncertain terms that I will receive no allowance as my friend is not a registered landlord and has not registered the property. I really need the €42 per week to pay the rent and as helpful as my friend is, I don't want to sponge off him at all, nor do I want to move as I really like the house and he's happy to have me there. We're just unsure as to our legal standing and whether he should registerthe property so I can get my allowance or is it even worth our while?? Any help would be great guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

fagin84 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice here, any help much appreciated. Up until 1 month ago I was living with my friend in a rented house. Having been laid off 18 months ago, I was receiving supp. rent allowance of €42 per week, the rent being €75 pw. A few months ago we were told that we would have to move out when our lease expired as the landlord was looking to sell the house. This came to pass last month and me and my friend moved to a house which he recently inherited as his own. We agreed that I would live here for the time being until I can get a place on my own and we agreed that I can pay him €75 per week as before. This was all fine till I informed the local welfare officer who told me in no uncertain terms that I will receive no allowance as my friend is not a registered landlord and has not registered the property. I really need the €42 per week to pay the rent and as helpful as my friend is, I don't want to sponge off him at all, nor do I want to move as I really like the house and he's happy to have me there. We're just unsure as to our legal standing and whether he should registerthe property so I can get my allowance or is it even worth our while?? Any help would be great guys!

your only renting a room as such from your "landlord" so check out the link below
    http://www.myhome.ie/lettings/advice/landlords/rent-a-room-scheme-2502
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home

Advertisement