Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA Graphics/Clarity Confused?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Something caught my attention when I was holidaying in tenerife during the summer.
    The apartment me and my mates stayed in had a pay-per-game console system with various games but in our case me and my mate would only ever play head to head in FIFA. So to the point which is I noticed the graphics was alot more superior to that of our own consoles (xbox) now this FIFA was either 2008 or 2009 but what I'd really like to know is why their such a gulf in graphics would this be to do with television, or was this an arcade version of FIFA, am very interested in this if anyone could through some light on it?

Francie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are using this:

composite_cable.gif

to connect to your TV then you are going to get horrendous picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you are using this:

composite_cable.gif

to connect to your TV then you are going to get horrendous picture quality.

Really??? So your saying this is the very thing thats bringing up the true graphics? That doesn't make sense as this would be the norm connect?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

francie81 wrote: »
    Really??? So your saying this is the very thing thats bringing up the true graphics? That doesn't make sense as this would be the norm connect?

Assuming you are referring to the Xbox 360, the console has the ability to utilize HDMI (assuming you have a HD compatible TV) which gives a much better picture quality.

Assuming you are referring to the Xbox 360, the console has the ability to utilize HDMI (assuming you have a HD compatible TV) which gives a much better picture quality.

Yep referring to the xbox 360 although am using it on a stardard 28' philips widescreen tele that obviosuly wouldn't have hd, so its a television and connectivity issue? Because when I played it on the one on holidays the graphics just blew me away, I was trying to look up youtube for some clips to what it should be but can't find any good examples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yep referring to the xbox 360 although am using it on a stardard 28' philips widescreen tele that obviosuly wouldn't have hd, so its a television and connectivity issue?

Aye, that is pretty much it. To be semi-technical, a High Definition TV has a higher resolution than a Standard Definition TV. The higher the resolution, the better the picture detail is.

Here is a comparison picture - linkies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it was a HD TV and hooked up with component of HDMI then it will look way better than ****ty composite. Composite is the worst connection you can get and gives a terrible image. If you don't have a HD tv then there is a way to improve the image quality and will be miles better than with composite. Get an RGB scart cable for the 360 and hook it up to the AV1 socket on the back of your TV. This will significantly improve picture quality. RGB will look like this:

Xbox%20360%20RGB%20HD%20AV.jpg

Plugging the yellow red and white cables into an RGB connector won't work it has to be a true RGB cable. You'll find one for the 360 at any games store.

Thanks for that lads appreciate it I shall look into that right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i can even sell one my old RGB scart cable. the lads are speaking the truth, if HD isnt an option for you, an RGB scart significantly improves picture quality. I remember not being able to read the in-game text in GTA4 before getting the RGB and then reading it with the better cable.

ill even go find my ad for the cable on adverts!

edit: http://adverts.ie/257662

Ok I want to ask what is the difference between the HD AV Cable & scart adapter (you get with console) and the RGB scart cable and how come this doesn't come with the console?

Well the HD AV cable you get is fine if you are using it for HD but if you are using it for AV composite it's terrible. The television picture is made of three colours, Red, green and blue. An RGB cable delivers these three components seperately to the TV while with composite the yellow cable is delivering them all at the same time which is the major problem. It leads to dot crawling artifacts, colour bleeding and bluriness. Basically your image looks awful. Old CRT sreens blurred the picture slightly so it didn't look as bad, but still pretty terrible compared to RGB but newer HD screens it really shows up all the flaws and the games look terrible. The AV composite cables come with the console because they are cheaper and it helps keep prices down. RGB scart is a much more expensive and higher quality cable. If you need more convincing take a look at these two posts explaining it with pictures:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67409757&postcount=37

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67414614&postcount=39

Basically get yourself an RGB cable, hook it up properly and thank me later.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well the HD AV cable you get is fine if you are using it for HD but if you are using it for AV composite it's terrible. The television picture is made of three colours, Red, green and blue. An RGB cable delivers these three components seperately to the TV while with composite the yellow cable is delivering them all at the same time which is the major problem. It leads to dot crawling artifacts, colour bleeding and bluriness. Basically your image looks awful. Old CRT sreens blurred the picture slightly so it didn't look as bad, but still pretty terrible compared to RGB but newer HD screens it really shows up all the flaws and the games look terrible. The AV composite cables come with the console because they are cheaper and it helps keep prices down. RGB scart is a much more expensive and higher quality cable. If you need more convincing take a look at these two posts explaining it with pictures:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67409757&postcount=37

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67414614&postcount=39

Basically get yourself an RGB cable, hook it up properly and thank me later.

yep, keep the cable that comes with the console, its a great component cable which i now use for HD. However its an awful Standard Definition cable through Scart, RGB makes a big difference and not just for 360 either

Ok but isn't the RGB connection the one am using (red,white & yellow) which I connect into ports on the side of the tele?

Ok but isn't the RGB connection the one am using (red,white & yellow) which I connect into ports on the side of the tele?

No that's a composite cable not true RGB, the yellow cable is for video, red and white for sound.

An RGB cable looks like this:

photo.asp?Pic=20094152095790036.jpg

It splits the video signal into red green and blue which means there's no interference at all and you get a massive jump in picture quality.

Also plugging the yellow red and white cables into something like this:

rgb-scart-male-rca-female-adapter-converter-xs0032090106c.jpg

Will still only give you a terrible composite video and isn't true RGB.

what he said...

seriously, an RGB scart is the daddy of connections for CRT Tellys.

Dead on lads thats as broken down for me as can be great stuff must nab one the weekend :).

Thanks

Advertisement