Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help choosing a bike

• 07-10-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, I'm just getting into cycling and am looking at getting a new bike and need some help from people in the know :o.
    I'm currently looking at the Trek 1.2 2010 model and 2011 model, (can't see any real difference except colour?) or the Giant Defy 3. Anyone recommend any of these bikes and/or which one they think is best. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

MissAlex wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just getting into cycling and am looking at getting a new bike and need some help from people in the know :o.
    I'm currently looking at the Trek 1.2 2010 model and 2011 model, (can't see any real difference except colour?) or the Giant Defy 3. Anyone recommend any of these bikes and/or which one they think is best. Thanks in advance.

MissAlex, great choice on getting into cycling. I only got into it myself during the summer and ended up with the same dilemma as yourself when it came to picking my 1st entry level road bike. The 3 choices I was faced with were the Trek 1.2, Giant Defy 3 or the Specialized Allez Sport (all 2010 models) and to be honest, there's nothing between the 3 of these. They're pretty much identical and not much separates them. I'm not sure about the 2011 models though, I haven't come across these as yet. I ended up going for the Trek 1.2 as it was the one I was most comfortable on. I found a shop that stocked all 3 models I wanted, I visited them and took each of the bikes for a test ride one after the other and decided on the Trek. I haven't regretted the decision at all and would make the same decision if I were faced with it again. Saying that, I had 4 other friends in the same predicament and 2 of them chose the Spec and 2 chose the Giant...

So the best thing I think for you to do is to go in and find out what suits you best and what you're most comfortable on. You'll have no trouble with any of the bikes you're looking at, its really down to your personal taste and fit.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MissAlex

Thanks for the reply and advice CarlosK, trying to get back into the whole fitness world again, my husband does triathlons and is trying to get me to do some or even to do a duathlon with him. At the moment I'm def leaning more towards the Trek bikes, going to take a test ride on each one and see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I bought a Trek 1.2 a couple of weeks ago and am delighted with it. The only thing I would change is the chainset, I bought a double but as I am doing the Ring of Kerry cycle next year I probably should have bought a triple. Also the seat is a bit hard but I think I am getting used to it, or rather my bum is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

macnab wrote: »
    I bought a Trek 1.2 a couple of weeks ago and am delighted with it. The only thing I would change is the chainset, I bought a double but as I am doing the Ring of Kerry cycle next year I probably should have bought a triple. Also the seat is a bit hard but I think I am getting used to it, or rather my bum is...

I wouldn't worry about it. You shouldn't need a triple for the Ring of kerry. Not if your cycling regularly between now and next July. There are only two real hills on the ring and neither is that bad. You'll enjoy it, a great day out.

Advertisement