Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minding 6 children

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I'm babysitting 6 kids tomorrow. 3 girls: 7,2 and 5 and 3 boys:4,8 and 10. How on earth do I manage that in terms of bed time? Help me!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did you not talk to the parent about what time is bed time?
    Are they all siblings? or are they kids grouped on a sleep over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Did you not talk to the parent about what time is bed time?
    Are they all siblings? or are they kids grouped on a sleep over?

No, the girls are all siblings, the two year old is normally asleep when I get there. The boys are cousins of the girls. I think bed time is normally about 8, but how do I manage putting 5 people to bed at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I am from a family of six kids and our ages are all similar to those you mentioned. Firstly I dont envy you but my mam managed us without too much hassle. Lay down the ground rules early kids respect that and as for getting them to bed we all went at the same time (8 o clock) boys in one room girls in the other and whilst we did blaggard for maybe an hour or so we eventually fall asleep. Good luck.;)

So if I let them talk amongst themselves without messing they'll eventually fall asleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If it's a sleep over there will be messing there will be giggles and keeping each other awake it goes with sleep overs. As for how you put them to bed, well you troop them upstairs and just do it the same as if there was just the 3 older ones.

I would maybe have story time down stairs with them all on the sofa and then troop them all off to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I'm babysitting 6 kids tomorrow. 3 girls: 7,2 and 5 and 3 boys:4,8 and 10. How on earth do I manage that in terms of bed time? Help me!:eek:

Well the 2,4,5 go to bed same time,7,8,10 go to bed same time.Make it a game and read to the younger ones.Plenty of games and good luck :P

Just a little thing I do with my own kids, 2 boys , is say you want them to be asleep by 9 get them ready on hour before have little races like whos going to win the pyjama race, whos going to win the toothbrushing race kids really go for that kinda thing well the smaller kids will anyway and as for the older kids id nominate them as your helpers and perhaps bribe them (I know terrible) with a small fee. Well it might work but it all depends on their personalities and if they are exhausted enough during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Just a little thing I do with my own kids, 2 boys , is say you want them to be asleep by 9 get them ready on hour before have little races like whos going to win the pyjama race, whos going to win the toothbrushing race kids really go for that kinda thing well the smaller kids will anyway and as for the older kids id nominate them as your helpers and perhaps bribe them (I know terrible) with a small fee. Well it might work but it all depends on their personalities and if they are exhausted enough during the day.

i snorted :D

best idea with the races though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm assuming that cattle prods are out as an option.

Best to get them into bed on the pretence of telling them a story 'only when they are in bed'. Put the 10 year old in charge of getting one, may two of the younger ones to bed. He'll likely appreciate 'being the adult'. Similar might work with the 8 year old. Basically, split the task...divide and conquer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

caseyann wrote: »
    Well the 2,4,5 go to bed same time,7,8,10 go to bed same time.Make it a game and read to the younger ones.Plenty of games and good luck :P

I say best to go with this one I come from a large family and when I was babysitting the younger ones all 6 of them, i was the nieghbourhood baby sitter for more then 5 years as well.

I would make sure younger ones are comfortable in bed (considering some are away from home!)
    Also make sure you have a bit of fun etc an hr before bed that way they have time to calm down.

I found when they started to play up I would say with a firm voice no more games now its time for bed, same with the older ones.

I always found if I talked to the kids and played games with them before bed they would respect me more when I would lay down the rules for bed time.

• Advertisement

Just got back. Minding 6 would have been fine. Had they had beds for the boys. And told the very high strung two year old they were leaving vs leaving me to deal with a panicked toddler.

Some people are just unbelievable. I had to keep the 8 and 10 year old up till half 12 because there were no beds for them :mad:

Just got back. Minding 6 would have been fine. Had they had beds for the boys. And told the very high strung two year old they were leaving vs leaving me to deal with a panicked toddler.

Some people are just unbelievable. I had to keep the 8 and 10 year old up till half 12 because there were no beds for them :mad:

Sorry to hear twas a bit of a nightmare but Im sure you would do it all again.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

jesus h christ :mad:

i cannot relate to these people? and they obviously knew full well that the toddler was going to panic, why would you firstly do that to your own child and secondly, the poor childminder?

tbh, i would have rang them as soon as the toddler panicked and told them to come home.

Advertisement