Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrians in Galway

• 07-10-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

Are pedestrians in Galway on a death wish? I have grown to detest driving through the city and having to be extra wary in order to dodge people who walk out in front of cars on Eglington Street, at BT's corner, across Eyre Sq etc. The worst ever has to be those who come out of Galway Shopping Centre and walk straight across to the car park without even looking to see if vehicles are coming :mad:
    Pedestrians of all ages are guilty
    Apologies for the rant and if this has been done before but I am fuming after coming the door. I don't want someone's death on my conscience whether they are on a death wish or not :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

a housemate of mine was saying the same thing the other day, I think its partly an unexpected downside of pedestrianised streets in town, people have a tendency to treat areas in the general vicinity of shop/mainguard street as if they are pedestrianised when they're obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I'd agree that a lot of pedestrians do act recklessly about galway, but I walk most places and I've been shocked by the amount of drivers who run red lights particularly at pedestrian crossings. Instead of preparing to stop when they see amber they accelerate to try and beat the light, I was very nearly hit by a car recently having started to cross the road when the green man came on at the junction near the Huntsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I tend to drive carefully especially in the city but there appears to be a blatant lack of regard for vehicles. It just worries me that someday I'll hit someone and have that on my conscience.
    Galway is the city of Traffic Lights! There are crossings everywhere. Granted though I have seen a lot of inconsiderate drivers run lights and disregard for pedestrians but surely there is a lot more vulnerability as a pedestrian rather than someone in a vehicle that can kill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I think the worst spot is the bottom of Eyre Square at the bus station. You gots your two streets of traffic trying to merge into one, your buses requiring every available lane to make the turn, your taxis queuing on the corner itself, and your suicidal pedestrians trying to navigate all three without breaking stride. I've passed through it frequently as a driver and a non-suicidal pedestrian and it's chaos every time. Pedestrians don't wait for the green man, traffic doesn't heed the lights (and often can't even see it, coming from the docks) and the crossing itself is often blocked by taxis and stopped cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Predalien wrote: »
    I'd agree that a lot of pedestrians do act recklessly about galway, but I walk most places and I've been shocked by the amount of drivers who run red lights particularly at pedestrian crossings. Instead of preparing to stop when they see amber they accelerate to try and beat the light, I was very nearly hit by a car recently having started to cross the road when the green man came on at the junction near the Huntsman.

This is true too, the amount of times people have driven through a zebra crossing when the lights had been red for more than a few seconds is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

well cars should not be driving fast in and around the town - it is pedestrianised after all and drivers should be going at a snails pace - but the prefer to excellarate to beat a red light so they can save a second or two.

But I do have a questions - are bicycles allowed on Shop Street - don't know who many times I have seen people walk up and down Shop Street only to have the fright of their lives when a person on a bike decides to leg it down the town and nearly run them over, and expect people to jump out of their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

But I do have a questions - are bicycles allowed on Shop Street - don't know who many times I have seen people walk up and down Shop Street only to have the fright of their lives when a person on a bike decides to leg it down the town and nearly run them over, and expect people to jump out of their way.

No but that doesn't seem to stop people.

The amount of idiots on bikes on pavements is unbelievable. If you're not competent enough to be in control of a bike on a road, then don't get on the f**king pavement with pedestrians.

The prom and wolf tone bridge are particular hot spots for idiot cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Everyone is guilty. Pedestrians should hve highest priority on our streets like in other European countries and US cities. It's no wonder they step out in the road when there's a shortage of places they can officially cross. They should have right of way to cross the road at EVERY junction like in other cities.

I can't blame cyclists for cycling on the pavement given the way the majority of Galway people drive. They're just trying to stay alive. In case people haven't noticed there are **** all cycle lanes! Yes, I know there are some on the bridge etc but there should be a cycle lane on every single road the same way there in a footpath.

I spent ten years cycling in Dublin with a bike as my sole form of transport and I was never as scared on my bike as I have been cycling around Galway. Drivers here are oblivious.

I'm a driver more than a cyclist or pedestrian these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway is a very motorist-centric town and I believe pedestrians need to be even more assertive and visible in their movement and confront those who believe that simply by virtue of controlling a steel-cocooned lethal weapon ensures superiority...

dafunk wrote: »
    I can't blame cyclists for cycling on the pavement given the way the majority of Galway people drive. They're just trying to stay alive. In case people haven't noticed there are **** all cycle lanes! Yes, I know there are some on the bridge etc but there should be a cycle lane on every single road the same way there in a footpath.

Two wrongs don't make a right. If you're not competent enough on a bike to handle cycling on the roads you shouldn't be on the road.

I've been cycled straight into on the prom while out running by a great, big, idiotic lump. She should not have been on the prom. I still have a scar on my arm from it. If I'd been elderly or infirm there could have been a very serious injury.

Get off the f**king pavement cyclists, it's for pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Everyone is guilty. Pedestrians should hve highest priority on our streets like in other European countries and US cities. It's no wonder they step out in the road when there's a shortage of places they can officially cross. They should have right of way to cross the road at EVERY junction like in other cities.

Can't believe this at all. Your telling me that in the US you can just walk across any road and you have the right of way. Isn't the US one of the biggest enforcers of J-walking??

Don't think the answer is giving pedestrians the right of way at every junction. There are plenty of traffic lights and zebra crossings in the city but some people can't be arsed walking all the way up the road to them. I hold my hand up and say I have to include myself in this category from time to time.

There is also the fact that one of the main reasons why the junction of Forster St. and the bottom corner of Eyre Square and the junction at the top of the Square beside Fibber Magees is due to taxis double parking, blocking the junctions and creating chaos.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Can't believe this at all. Your telling me that in the US you can just walk across any road and you have the right of way. Isn't the US one of the biggest enforcers of J-walking??

Don't think the answer is giving pedestrians the right of way at every junction. There are plenty of traffic lights and zebra crossings in the city but some people can't be arsed walking all the way up the road to them. I hold my hand up and say I have to include myself in this category from time to time.

What I mean is that at every set of traffic lights or junction pedestrians have the right of way. Not in all US cities I'm sure but the few that I have been in.

Two wrongs don't make a right. If you're not competent enough on a bike to handle cycling on the roads you shouldn't be on the road.

Of course they shouldn't cycle on the pavement. I'm not condoning that. My point is that perhaps if motorists were a little more aware of cyclists (who in most cases can handle a bike perfectly well) or if there was proper cycle lanes then perhaps they wouldn't feel the need to cycle on the pavement.

I spent ten years cycling in Dublin with a bike as my sole form of transport and I was never as scared on my bike as I have been cycling around Galway. Drivers here are oblivious.

I'm a driver more than a cyclist or pedestrian these days.

I'm specifically talking about riding bikes on Shop Street - a completely pedestrianised area - some cyclists think they have a right to speed down shop street on their bike and people should move for them. Only last week I saw a woman refusing to get off her bike even tho the pavement was packed - she ended up hitting and old lady with the handle of her bike as she passed - she didn't even stop.

What I mean is that at every set of traffic lights or junction pedestrians have the right of way. Not in all US cities I'm sure but the few that I have been in.

they only have a right of way when the pedestrian light turns green - otherwise no car would ever be able to turn a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I find the road that runs by the entrance to GMIT is a bit of a hotspot for reckless pedestrian crossing . Lots of people sauntering accross the road without checking for cars first. Can't remember if there's a level crossing there or not, but if ther's not there should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Not in all US cities I'm sure but the few that I have been in.

What cities have you been to that had this rule? I've been to a few and haven't come across it. Was't J-Walking illegal here for a short period but never enforced?

I'm specifically talking about riding bikes on Shop Street - a completely pedestrianised area - some cyclists think they have a right to speed down shop street on their bike and people should move for them. Only last week I saw a woman refusing to get off her bike even tho the pavement was packed - she ended up hitting and old lady with the handle of her bike as she passed - she didn't even stop.

Well that's not cool, I don't think people should be cycling in pedestrian areas.

they only have a right of way when the pedestrian light turns green - otherwise no car would ever be able to turn a corner.

Not necessarily, they don't necessarily have pedestrian lights, pedestrians get right of way with the lights so when the lights go green cars can go striaght but if they are turning left or right they can only go if there are no pedestrians.

San Francisco is one example I can think of but I've seen it in other cities too.

It's probably far too progressive and pedestrian friendly for us to introduce in Ireland. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Not necessarily, they don't necessarily have pedestrian lights, pedestrians get right of way with the lights so when the lights go green cars can go striaght but if they are turning left or right they can only go if there are no pedestrians.

San Francisco is one example I can think of but I've seen it in other cities too.

It's probably far too progressive and pedestrian friendly for us to introduce in Ireland. :D

100% agree. This is a great idea. They use this method over in Germany as well. It also makes juntions far more efficient for all road users because there is less phasing. Why it may not work here is due to traffic law in Ireland - we dont have the same "duty of care" to other road users enshrined within our laws compared to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

That sounds kinda like Poland, the pedestrian lights in places like Warsaw and Krakow go green when the road they cross goes red. This means that the other road's lights are green, including for cars turning onto the road the pedestrians are now crossing.

Always thought it was a fantastic way to speed pedestrians up, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

100% agree. This is a great idea. They use this method over in Germany as well. It also makes juntions far more efficient for all road users because there is less phasing. Why it may not work here is due to traffic law in Ireland - we dont have the same "duty of care" to other road users enshrined within our laws compared to Germany.

What do you mean we don't have a "duty of care" here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

For anyone questioning why a cyclist would *dare* to cycle down Shop St well here's your answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but here are the two shortest legitimate, law-abiding, one-way-street-obeying ways of riding a bicycle from Brown Thomas to the end of Mainguard St.

http://local.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=113180707687172522509.0004921dd4d3b7c32d703&ll=53.272258,-9.050567&spn=0.005575,0.016104&t=h&z=17

The Cathedral route is 1.1km (that would get you to Dunnes on the Headford Road) and the The Bohermore one is 1.8km- less than the distance from Brown Thomas to Liosbaun Industial estate.

So excuse the hell out of me if I'm going to inch down Shop St whenever the alternative is a ride up Bohermore or past the cathedral.

So much for Galway being a bicycle-friendly city.

So excuse the hell out of me if I'm going to inch down Shop St .....

Fair dues to you if you do "inch down Shop St" but I think the problem is that a lot of your fellow bikers fly down Shop St blatantly disregarding pedestrians.

churchview wrote: »
    What do you mean we don't have a "duty of care" here?

Read the sentence again. It does not say "we don't have a "duty of care" here"
    I wrote "we dont have the same "duty of care" to other road users"

Read the sentence again. Never say "dont"!

Sorry, still not getting you?

You said
    we dont have the same "duty of care" to other road users

Not trying to play word games here; I'm asking a question.

Read the sentence again. It does not say "we don't have a "duty of care" here"
    I wrote "we dont have the same "duty of care" to other road users"

I think I get you now. You seem to be suggesting that under Irish law there is less of a duty of care to road users than under German law. Is that it? I wouldn't agree.

Sorry, still not getting you?

You said

Not trying to play word games here; I'm asking a question.

OK. Sorry I misinterpreted your query. I will give you an example how we dont adopt the same "duty of care" here compared to Germany or other European countrys.
    I did not pen the following - it was recently sent to me but it outlines the argument I am making on this point.

In August, the RSA and ESB announced the distribution of 80,000 high viz vests to junior infants nationwide as they started their first days of school
    http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/News/2010/RSA-and-ESB-to-Distribute-80000-High-Visibility-Vests-to-Junior-Infants-Nationwide/

In addition to encouraging small children to make themselves visible to motorists, the press release contains advice for parents, guardians and teachers on how to teach children to be "streetwise" about road safety how to cross the road where to walk, how to get off the bus.

We are talking about 4-5 year olds here and the overwhelming message is that it is their responsibility to wear the "right clothes" and to "know the rules". It is for the parents, guardians and teachers to make sure this happens.

Nowhere is there any suggestion that the rest of the motoring population should watch out for children or take care or modify their behaviour in any way around small children. It is not even suggested that motorists should exercise caution around schoolbuses or even schools. The inference I draw is that, in the official mind, small children effectively use the roads at their own risk. I would further infer that if this is how the RSA see things then it is likely that this is how our national police service also see things.

Bear in mind also that children going to school are not just children but are also fulfilling an obligation imposed on them by the state - they have no choice - unlike the motorists who they share the roads with.

What do you think? I am not against what the RSA is saying in the above link - rather what they ommitted to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Fair dues to you if you do "inch down Shop St" but I think the problem is that a lot of your fellow bikers fly down Shop St blatantly disregarding pedestrians.

I've a great story on this- I was waiting in traffic on Eglinton St and just starting to move foward when I had a well turned-out lady biker switch in front of me. Now- when I'm in traffic I act like I'm a big 4-door car;
    that is to say I don't squeeze in between rows of traffic, I don't under or overtake, I don't take advantage of the fact I can squeeze anwyhere because squeezing will get you *squished*.

So I turn left onto Shop St, at which point I go from Merc to lady-with-a-pushchair. Pedestrian pace, no weaving, no brushing past shop entrances (instant bike-pedestrian interface opportunity). Come to a complete stop whenever things get blocked.

I come along side the lady who cut me off and really calmly say 'hey that wasn't too safe- you cut me off there, it's a good way to get hurt' and I get an instant, vicious FUC*OFF from this lady who wouldn't look out of place behind the wheel of her wealthy banker husband's merc- the type who arranges morning tea, wears a bonnet to church ever sunday morning and who irons her goddamned pyjamas. Cute helmet, flawless magenta cycling jacket, neat satchel on the pannier.

This lady then proceeds to do EEEEEEVERYTHING I don't on Shop st- she weaves, skims through the empty space next to shop entrances, dodges 4 year olds and buskers, *the works*. I keep pace by doing my mum/buggy behaviour, and end up catching up with her at The Dew Drop. I'm back in Merc Mode and she's still undertaking traffic. We both end up going down Dominick St , which is jammed but she insists on scraping along. As soon as things start moving she gets stuck behind a car that is pulling out and as I follow the traffic flow she then shouts something unintelligible at me as I breeze past her and indicate right at Monroes.

tl;dr: dicking around in pedestrianised areas on the road doesn't necessarily get you there any faster, but might see you in court or in hospital.

Advertisement