Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSO AROUND CLONSILLA TONIGHT

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a lady in my house tonight from the CSO asking the usual questions about the amount of people living in my house etc. But some of her questions where very personal. like my medical history and how many hours I worked, PPS numbers etc.

Its only now that I am thinking what if it was a scam? She now has all my personal info, everything.

She showed me her ID and she seemed genuine enough and said I could call the CSO tomorrow if I'm worried, but in the back of my mind its niggling away.

Has any of you guys had a similar visit?

I could have just turned her away from the door, but being that it was a survay on behalf of the CSO I was being a responsible citizen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Strange she asked for your PPS number....

All the rest seems pretty standard - depending on what she was surveying.

I had one call about 18months ago. She asked about time off work as well - in particular about stress iirc - couple of weeks later I saw the results of a "CSO survey" in the paper and you could see it was all the stuff I had answered on.

There must be somebody who works for the CSO who lives around???? I've never had one call in any other area....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Yeah she talked about stress quite a bit.
    How often did I go to the Doctor, the Dentist, the Optician.

Do I have a history of Diabetes, jeez everything.

I answered questions for my whole family, birthdays, when did I last take any of them to the A&E.

I'll give the CSO a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

suey71 wrote: »

Yep I'm sure they'll confirm it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I was involved in a CSO survey too. It involved a lady calling back to me every 3 months for a year. I was asked questions about how many hours I worked and also how many hours I commuted etc. What mode of transport I took to work etc.

I wasn't asked for my PPS number though.

I would imagine it was legit though. It would be a pretty elaborate (and easily traceable) scam to attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was involved in a CSO survey too. It involved a lady calling back to me every 3 months for a year. I was asked questions about how many hours I worked and also how many hours I commuted etc. What mode of transport I took to work etc.

I wasn't asked for my PPS number though.

I would imagine it was legit though. It would be a pretty elaborate (and easily traceable) scam to attempt.

Same as above only I was asked for PPSN first time, but when I hesitated she said it was fine that I didn't have to give it if I didn't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

mmm, it sounds strange to ask for something as unique and identifiable as your PPS number though. I know you were probably caught on the hop when they asked for it but it would have been interesting if you could have asked her why they needed that specific piece of information because that is core personal information like bank account number etc that should not have any bearing or assist whatever statistical analysis the CSO is trying to achieve in whatever survey they were conducting with you. Definitely give the CSO a ring and see if the caller was legit and if so, ask what is the purpose of asking people for their PPS numbers. Surely an official organisation like CSO can get that information from Revenue if it is needed?

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I had the similar visit about 2 months back. Seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

The CSO are authorised to ask for PPS numbers.

See appendix Appendix A

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/cop.aspx#appa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

suey71 wrote: »
    Did you call them? What did they say?

Advertisement