Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paté Recipes

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

hi, just wondering do many of you make your own paté? I remember Dad making it years ago and baking it in a loaf tin and it was yum, would love to start making this and perfect it for Xmas dinner as part of the starter - I'm doing all the cooking and well want to make it special as I mentioned before Mam going through chemo and well just want to make it special...

So would appreciate it if anyone has any recipes to share.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I have one at home for chicken liver paté which I'll dig out over the w/end.

Its a Christmas must in our family....so I know where you're coming from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Gary rhodes has an excellent recipe for chicken liver pate with bramley apple jelly.

The general pate upshot is to pan-cook the livers first, until they're done how you want them, then puree in a blender with flavours - alcohol if you want some (best flambed in the pan so the alcohol cooks off tbh), cream, other flavours (salt, pepper, spices, herbs, whatever other flavours), then pour the blended mix into something to set in the fridge - be that a tinfoil tray, or ramekins or whatever - there's no other cooking involved.

The book is Gary Rhodes at the Table - will see if I can find the recipe either on here (I'm sure it's been posted before) or online so I can link you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Here Sweeper, I have a copy of that recipe....

Chicken Liver Pâté with Bramley Apple Jelly

Serves 4 - 6

For the Pâté

350g (12oz) trimmed chicken livers, soaked for 24 hours in milk
    100g (4oz) unsalted butter (maximum weight), softened
    100ml (4 fl oz) double cream
    a splash of cognac, armagnac or port, to taste
    salt, pepper, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    melted butter for topping

For the Bramley Apple Jelly

2 Bramley apples, peeled and cored
    juice of ½ lemon
    600ml (1 pint) apple juice
    4 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water

Method

To poach the livers, remove them from the milk and poach in simmering salted water for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to firm, looking for a rare to medium touch. It’s best to lift one from the water and check by pressing. Remove from the liquor and leave to rest for a few minutes.

If you prefer to pan-fry the liver, remove them from the milk and dry on kitchen paper. Use the ingredients listed, with the addition of 2 teaspoons of finely chopped shallots, a knob of butter and an extra 2 tablespoons of cognac or other spirit. Melt the knob of butter in a frying pan and, once bubbling, add the livers. Increase the heat and continue to pan-fry for 1-2 minutes before turning over and continuing to cook for another minute.

Add the chopped shallots, along with the extra cognac or armagnac. Flambé and remove from the pan. Leave to cool slightly.

Transfer the livers to a food processor, along with the butter (at room temperature), double cream and cognac, or other spirit. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and blitz to a smooth purée. You will now have a pâté rich pink in colour. For the smoothest of finishes, simply push the pâté through a fine sieve. Check for seasoning before spooning and smoothing into one large dish or 4-6 individual ramekins. Now wrap the dish(es) in cling film and refrigerate to set: this will take 30-40 minutes.

Melt 25–50g (1-2oz) of butter and top each dish with just enough to give the thinnest of coatings. This can be done up to 48 hours in advance.

To make the apple jelly, cut each Bramley apple into small 5mm (¼ inch) dice. Toss in the lemon juice, coating all the pieces. Place the apple juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the apple dice and simmer for a minute, until just tender. Strain from the juice, re-boiling the liquor and reducing by half: this will increase the apple flavour. Remove from the heat, add the leaves of gelatine and strain through a fine sieve or muslin, if necessary, to remove any apple sediment. Leave to cool, replacing the diced apple before leaving to set in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

thanks a mill for that, will give it a try and see hpe successful I am.

Anyone have a tried and tested baked pate recipe - this is one my Dad used to do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Here's a really simple one from the BBC Food website:

IngredientsFor the pâté

•150g/5½oz chicken livers, trimmed

•50ml/2fl oz double cream

•2 whole free-range eggs

•1 tsp port

•salt and freshly ground black pepper

To serve
    •1 tsp fresh chives, chopped

•4 slices ciabatta, toasted
    Preparation method1.Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

2.For the pâté, place all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth.

3.Transfer the mixture into two greased ramekins or dariole moulds and place into a roasting tin filled with enough water to reach half way up the sides of the moulds when they are placed in the tin. (This is called a bain-marie.) Place into the oven to cook for 15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.

4.To serve, turn out the pâté from the moulds onto plates, sprinkle with the chives and serve with the toasted ciabatta.

I would say the eggs would give this a somewhat light, mousse feel but also might risk making the texture a little rubbery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sorry...kept forgetting about this.

Here's my family recipe...not so different to the others...

2ox butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1lb chicken liver
    4 tbl chicken stock
    2 eggs
    4 tbl brandy
    1/4 pint cream
    salt & pepper

cook onion, garlic and livers in the butter
    blend w. stock and eggs.
    season well w. salt & pepper
    stir in cream and brandy
    Pour into a greased container, cover with foil, and book in a bain maree for 2 hours at 160C.

Notes
    - You can replace brandy with almost any drink you think might work for you. Cointreau, whiskey, marc...I've used quite a few alternatives successfully.

- If you prefer a slightly stronger flavour of the drink, you can replace 2 tb of the chicken stock with an addition 2 of booze.

- Works really well with rabbit liver. Here, Port is an excellent option.

- If its not set after 2 hours, uncover, and cook for another 30 minutes....or longer if needs be. Generally, if your eggs are too small, it mightn't set fully.

- when cooking off the livers and onion, its up to you if you want to let it all caramelise slightly or not. The flavour works well either way...its just a preference thing. Just don't burn the onions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

160g of smoked mackerel
    100g of butter
    Lemon juice, salt & pepper

Put mackerel & butter in food processor & blend. Season with lemon juice, salt & pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bonkey wrote: »
    Here's my family recipe...not so different to the others...

That's looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cornets with Chicken Liver Pate - Saw this recipe on Australian Masterchef some weeks back. It's a recipe from Frank Camorra's book MoVida Rustica. A great idea for a twist on chicken liver pate on toast. This is one of those recipes that I just have to make ever since seeing it on the show.

FC_cornets_640x360.jpg

Advertisement