Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to adopt a puppy!!!

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi everyone! i have been looking eveywhere for the past week for a puppy to adopt as i havent got the 400+ euro to buy one i am looking for a tiny pup (yorkie,chiwawa exc) if anyone knows of where i can get one please let me know thanks a million!!! xxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 RachyBaby

OH! and i can go anywhere in ireland to collect and they will be going to a great home with loads of love!!!! xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

Firstly, it's spelt Chihuahua, and secondly, if you cannot afford to buy a dog, then how are you going to afford veterinary bills (vaccinations, spaying, unexpected injuries, illness) food, leads, etc?

I think you need to do a bit more research into what exactly is involved in owning a dog before you get one. Perhaps do some saving while doing your research.

There are plenty of dogs in shelters that are looking for homes, but you will be asked for a donation towards the shelter.

If you are looking to adopt a dog for free it is very unlikely that you will get a puppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

op, my advise to you would be, buy everything you need first and set aside money for vet bills, pet insurance etc.
    i doubt anyone here will take kindly to your big pink posts, looking for a paris hilton accessory.
    also, a week is not a long time for trying to find a puppy! it took me months and months before i found my little baby.

1st of all you know nothing about me so what give you the right to judge i have plenty of money i just think 400+ euro is a bit much! second its not going to be a "paris hilton" dog who do you think i as are you stupid? i'm sorry that because i'm not saying all the right things that in your mind i should not have a dog but i have 3 already and have had them for over10 years so don't start writing things like that if you cant back them up you don't know me or anything about me typical of someone juding before they know the whole story OH AND P.S my mothers a vet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You could try a shelter and rescue a breed of your choice. There will be a fee to pay but the dog will be chipped, neutered and have vaccines/wormed.

Puppies are very, very expensive to maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

RachyBaby wrote: »
    as i havent got the 400+ euro to buy one

Sorry, but you are contradicting yourself:rolleyes:

You said yourself you dont have the 400euro to buy one, then you go and say you have plenty of money? What is it?

Anyway, there are hundreds of dogs in shelters and pounds looking for homes and if your mam is a vet im sure she is well able to point you in the right direction for a puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Sorry but if your Mum is a vet then why are you looking for advise on where to get a dog on here!!! Surely all the information you seek is available to you through her at home ....

I'm gathering from your lack of punctuation, pink font and irate response that you are a young person, probably still living at home which is where any new puppy you bought would also be living. If I am correct in my assumption then perhaps you should speak to your parents first.

yes i have got it as in i'm not willing too pay 400 euro for a puppy! i have bills exc and 400 doesn't just come out of the sky yes i have plenty of money and yes i have the 400 euro for one but as i said its ridiculous to ask for 400 euro for a puppy and it doesn't have to be a pup i'm just looking for a small dog as my other dogs are small they will fit in well i dont want to bring in a huge doberman or something because my other one are only tiny and think they would be scared just any type of small dog I am looking for and im just asking for help i love animals and take very good care of them so rescuing them would be perfect but any of the shelters i have looked on have labs,collies exc and are 2 big just looking for something the size of a jack russell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

yes i have got it as in i'm not willing too pay 400 euro for a puppy! i have bills exc and 400 doesn't just come out of the sky yes i have plenty of money and yes i have the 400 euro for one but as i said its ridiculous to ask for 400 euro for a puppy and it doesn't have to be a pup i'm just looking for a small dog as my other dogs are small they will fit in well i dont want to bring in a huge doberman or something because my other one are only tiny and think they would be scared just any type of small dog I am looking for and im just asking for help i love animals and take very good care of them so rescuing them would be perfect but any of the shelters i have looked on have labs,collies exc and are 2 big just looking for something the size of a jack russell

http://www.dogstrust.ie/

I love dogs trust,

They wont let you adopt a puppy if it is to be an outside dog.

i'm 24 and no i don't live at home i'm sorry that my punctuation isn't perfect but would you ever get a life i came her for help not an english lesson

• Advertisement

Sorry but Its not ridiculous asking for money for a puppy, esp a pedigree one.

Do you know how much it costs to raise a litter of pups from start to finish? A lot!! So that is why puppies cost money as its costs money to raise them properly.

If your mam is a vet ask her where to find puppies as she will know the shelters/pounds in your area and point you in the right direction.

just looked on dogstrust there it's perfect thanks a million grindelwald!

I am entitled to my opinion and I happen to find the total lack of punctuation in your post quite difficult to read and also indicative of being written by a much younger person. If you post on a public forum then I'm afraid that you are going to have to be mature enough to accept the responses you are given. And by the way, I have a life, a very good one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I am entitled to my opinion and I happen to find the total lack of punctuation in your post quite difficult to read

You took the words right out of my mouth. Or off the keyboard if you want to get technical :p

OP I'm somewhat confused by your posts as I'm sure others are here. You currently have 3 dogs, you have lots of money but it dosen't fall from the sky (€400 for a healthy, pure-bred pup from a responsible breeder and from a good blood line is not expensive by the way) and your mum is a vet but you have come on here looking for rescue advice - surely she would know the local shelters? I applaud anyone looking to adopt a rescue animal but you seem to be doing it, in my opinion, because you figure it'll be a cheaper way to get a dog. That type of attitude will surely contribute to a home check fail.

ok point taken i apologize for being rude bad day sorry

just wondering there are a lot of people on websites selling puppies for cheap eg. 100-200 euro but they say they live in Ireland then when u email them they say they live in the united states and that they would have to use a courier service to send them over is it a scam or are there some genuine people?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

just wondering there are a lot of people on websites selling puppies for cheap eg. 100-200 euro but they say they live in Ireland then when u email them they say they live in the united states and that they would have to use a courier service to send them over is it a scam or are there some genuine people?

Scam avoid!!! only ring ones and when they answer say you are enquiring about there puppys..if they say witch puppys avoid also (more then likely puppy farms! )
    hope this helps

yeah thats what i was thinking and even the thought of having them pretty much shipped over is horrible thanks a million sophie! :D

yeah thats what i was thinking and even the thought of having them pretty much shipped over is horrible thanks a million sophie! :D

There are no puppies to be shipped and there never will be. Its a scam and they get the money off you and no pup ever arrives...

As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is so be very careful.

• Advertisement

If you have your heart set on getting a small dog like a chihuahua etc perhaps have a look for the contact numbers etc of specific breed rescue societies. We had Japanes Spitz when I was younger and although we never bred them we showed all of them (and did agility too). I would love to get a Japanes Spitz again in the future but if I do so I'll get one from a rescue society and not a breeder. I have nothing against people getting new puppies from reputable breeders but for myself I would prefer to save a dogs life if I could especially as I have no intention of showing and/or breeding in the future.

Have a look on www.irishanimals.ie as they have a list of breed specific rescue societies in Ireland. Alternatively you could ask one of the rescue societies to let you know if they get a dog of the breed you want in, though you could be waiting awhile to be honest and they may not be that amenable to your request as they have so many poor doggies waiting fo forever homes at the moment :( But you never know, it could be worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I paid €800 for my Chihuahua and that would be pretty standard for a pedigree, health checked, registered dog. She is what would be called 'pet quality' ie. she didn't make size to show so she was a bit cheaper, they can go anywhere up to €1,500 for 'show quality'. Anyone offering you a pup for cheap especially of the toy breed variety you should run a mile. Rescues are usually jam packed with small dogs, you should find it v.easy to find one in most rescues.

thanks guys! yeah i personally would rather rescue a dog and anywhere i looked only had big dogs but that link for irishanimals.ie is helpful fingers crossed i find something :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Does no one actually read announcements that are titled

All users please read carefully.

Well Im going to copy and paste it into this thread because honestly its a fine example of what I see is a major problem in the animals and pets forum.

The op asks for help on finding a small puppy and gets bullied about it.
    Now the category mods have gotten involved after this thread was reported and less thas 2 weeks after this announcement was put up.

If I see this going on again we will issue bans from the forum and they will be issued for a first offence.

In the last few weeks we`ve noticed an increase of what I can only call bullying of other posters.
    The amount of reported posts on this issue is getting out of hand.

The issue is that a person asks a question and then gets a lecture about the way they are doing things that are usually unrelated to the original question.

Usually the OP is slated for the way they are doing things.

For example the whole Cocker in Pup thread.
    The original question was regarding separating the male dog from the bitch and what to look out for an approximate delivery date.

This thread then descended into the OP getting slated for the bitch being too young to breed---Totally unrelated to the OP`s original question.

Then theres also the "Pugalier" thread where the OP asked for help in finding a "Pugalier"
    Again this descended into a "Not another designer breed thread"
    If you dont want to help the OP then dont respond to the thread but please dont start slating the op on their choice of dog/cat/budgie whatever.

If people remember correctly the above ie Bullying and opinion ramming was one of the reasons that we introduced pre-moderating the forum.

From today onwards users will be infracted for this.If we have to infract more than once then a one week ban will be issued.A further offence will be dealt with be a permanent ban from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

hi everyone! i have been looking eveywhere for the past week for a puppy to adopt as i havent got the 400+ euro to buy one i am looking for a tiny pup (yorkie,chiwawa exc) if anyone knows of where i can get one please let me know thanks a million!!! xxx

:eek: Was talking to a lad last night,long story short,he has a 12 week old cocker spaniel he wants rid of.......... the other 7 pups are dead:mad:

Please save this pup,he is black with a white spot.i havent seen him and cant take him as im moving abroad in the future........

i think i will take him today from this lad and try to rehome him.:(

this goes for anyone who might want him,he is in Ennis,clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oh Jesus the poor puppy, please take him if you can, see if you can rehome him and if not a local rescue might be able to help when you go abroad. CAW is the only Clare based rescue I know of but there is bound to be more if you google it.

Can you let us know how you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

:eek: Was talking to a lad last night,long story short,he has a 12 week old cocker spaniel he wants rid of.......... the other 7 pups are dead:mad:

Please save this pup,he is black with a white spot.i havent seen him and cant take him as im moving abroad in the future........

i think i will take him today from this lad and try to rehome him.:(

this goes for anyone who might want him,he is in Ennis,clare.

Homeward Bound are based in Clare as well, I don't have contact details, but they have a website, just google them, and they're on Facebook as well.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP I got my Yorkie from Ashton Pound in Feb, when I was there they had loads of small dogs and always do.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Spoke to the fella just now,he is dropping the Pup into me today.

Advertisement