Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant Study, Wont Study!!!!

• 07-10-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Seriously:mad:..
    I just cant do it! I will do absolutly anything than take out a book/s ,whatever, and try and learn stuff!
    Its just not happenin and im afraid it wont atall.. its october now and i told myself at the start of september id start in october.. its here now and NOTHING has changed!! :(

Help!! Please!! Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

First post :)

Everything works out in the end, just put Arts down everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 LaDeeDaa

ok :) thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

First post :)

Everything works out in the end, just put Arts down everywhere.

:pac:

Arts, the answer to the lazy students problems :cool:

Ah I'm only messin, don't worry if you're not doing anything now just make sure you do all your homework, and ask your teachers any questions you have, If ya have exam papers ya could start just browsing marking schemes when you're bored, would help in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 LaDeeDaa

RHunce wrote: »

yea thats what i thought actually :/
    i think the main problem behind the fact i wont study is that i have no idea what i want to do when im finished, i have no goal that i want or need to reach! :(

• Advertisement

Medicine is becoming quite popular amongst the average student these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

LaDeeDaa wrote: »
    yea thats what i thought actually :/
    i think the main problem behind the fact i wont study is that i have no idea what i want to do when im finished, i have no goal that i want or need to reach! :(
    Your only goal should be doing as best as you can in the leaving.

You may not know what you want to do now, but you may have an idea in 2 or 3 years, at which time you'll still be relying on the work you do NOW!

The more points you can get, the greater the opportunities when you do realise what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Start with something that doesn't involve books. For example you can watch Hamlet on Youtube.

You can read foreign language newspapers on the net involving the sections that would normally appeal to you eg sport, fashion, politics. Open two windows at once, one in the foreign language and one in the translated english (although google translations aren't always perfect.....but you will get the drift).

You can watch the sciences on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

RHunce wrote: »

STFU n00b
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Story of every student's life... I can't offer any advice, but I know how depressing it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

STFU n00b
    :)

Ive 300 more posts than you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

LaDeeDaa wrote: »
    Seriously:mad:..
    I just cant do it! I will do absolutly anything than take out a book/s ,whatever, and try and learn stuff!
    Its just not happenin and im afraid it wont atall.. its october now and i told myself at the start of september id start in october.. its here now and NOTHING has changed!! :(

Help!! Please!! Any suggestions??

I'm exactly the same, 6th year sucks...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

I find that having a routine and sticking to it is key.
    It is extremely difficult though but good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

I did my Leaving Cert this year;
    I ignored peoples advice telling me to study at around this time of the year cos i hated school, study, everything.
    Result? Due to failing two subjects in the mock, had to hole myself up from april (or whenever the results were) until june, killing myself studying, up at 11 at the weekend (hehe early in my opinion)and study until 5/6, the pressure and stress was unbelievable, i really wished i had learned stuff when it was still manageable. Got 425 though:)
    My advice is to man up. I would recommend Literally learning ONE thing from every subject every night, such as doing a single maths question,learning one or two quotes from poems, and learning a single biology definition. Increase the amount gradually.That way when you revise stuff in May or whatever itll be SO much easier for you to remember cos itll just flood back. I had to learn off ALL my physics experiments in one day, and i left learning off poetry to the last minute which meant learning around eight poems off by heart in two days... Literally, just a tiny bit of study, the smallest bit helps and it'll be tolerable. Start with the subject you hate then reward yourself by doing the subject you enjoy after.

thats just my advice anyways... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

I did my Leaving Cert this year;
    I ignored peoples advice telling me to study at around this time of the year cos i hated school, study, everything.
    Result? Due to failing two subjects in the mock, had to hole myself up from april (or whenever the results were) until june, killing myself studying, up at 11 at the weekend (hehe early in my opinion)and study until 5/6, the pressure and stress was unbelievable, i really wished i had learned stuff when it was still manageable. Got 425 though:)
    My advice is to man up. I would recommend Literally learning ONE thing from every subject every night, such as doing a single maths question,learning one or two quotes from poems, and learning a single biology definition. Increase the amount gradually.That way when you revise stuff in May or whatever itll be SO much easier for you to remember cos itll just flood back. I had to learn off ALL my physics experiments in one day, and i left learning off poetry to the last minute which meant learning around eight poems off by heart in two days... Literally, just a tiny bit of study, the smallest bit helps and it'll be tolerable. Start with the subject you hate then reward yourself by doing the subject you enjoy after.

thats just my advice anyways... :P

I need between 445 and 460 for music with arts and im ****ting myself :( iv started studying but im not sure its enough, maybe im just paranoid?
    is 450 difficult to achieve? do i still have time? im not the studying type, i practically failed in 5th year and have to learn most stuff for the first time.... is 2-3 hours each day sufficient for now or should i up the workload straight away? sorry, just i DO NOT want to repeat, i know what i want but ive never been a high achiever, just putting in the hours is impossible :/:(

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

shane9689 wrote: »
    iv started studying but im not sure its enough, maybe im just paranoid?

If you want to find out how much you know just break down the past exam papers into different topic areas. After you finish a topic do a mini mock exam just on that topic. Say if you've just studied photosynthesis and respiration, pull some of the questions on P & R from the past papers and do them under exam conditions. Check yourself against the marking scheme after. If you get 30% you know you need to put more hours in. If you get 70% and you are happy with that, then you can move on and you know where you stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I never study anything, unless it's the week before the exam.
    I always pass. (Except 1 maths test and every single English test ever)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was the same OP, I was (and still am) a divil for procrastinating.

Ignore the comments about Arts, degree snobbery makes me sick.

There is no solution, as such, you just have to do the work. Imagine yourself opening the results, how nervous you will feel as you unseal the envelope and begin to slide the piece of paper out. You want it to be good news, not bad news.

'Week before' people - trust me, that won't work for the LC. It's fine for small in-class exams, or in-school exams like Xmas exams, but you won't be able to do it for the real thing. Well of course you will, but only to about E or D standard.

Find which time of day you study better in. Or you could ignore this and study in the morning. If you leave it to the evening you might never do it, because you have 'free time' first and then study to dread (if it's the weekend and there's no school). Studying in the morning means you have the 'study' done with and then you can relax and have your 'free time'.

Study timetables work for some people, but they've never worked for me - ever. Instead I used to list out the topics that I wanted to cover that day, and check them off as I did.

E.g.
    Maths - 2009/2008/2007 Differentiation questions
    Geography - Development of a Biome
    Accounting - Company Final Accounts
    Applied Maths - Projectiles 2007/2008

without writing down times, and then work my way through the list, starting with my favourite one (to encourage me to do it), then the hardest one after that (to get it over and done with) and then in order of decreasing difficulty so by the end when I was tired, I wouldn't be doing overly taxing work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

that might actually help, thanks guys :D

Advertisement