Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane or Patrick Viera

• 07-10-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Two legends, two warriors. Who was the best of both? Patrick Viera for me, just about though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

This should be a nice unbiased discussion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus christ this is just getting ridiculous.

Btw, I really miss those Arsenal v Utd days; the build up and rivalry was pretty awesome back then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Patrick for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What the hell is up with all of these threads?

And a poll needs a poll OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'll bite. How could you possibly pick Viera ahead of Keane unless you are the most biased Gooner picking him for sentimental reasons?

No don't get me wrong, Viera was a very good player and he did really well for Arsenal and France. But Keane was on another level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Patrick Vieira. The better footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Keane. Not even a contest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Vieira. Not even a contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm a Liverpool fan. Keane was a significantly better money time player. Keane's greatest 10 performances >>>>> Vieira's greatest 10 performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Keane all day long. Even now that he's retired he'd still boss it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

can we stop with these threads now please? they were good for like a once a week thing or something but I see a few n00bs have decided to spam a load of them.

Keane btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Viera was a better footballer but I don't know if he was a better player... If that makes sense.

cson wrote: »
    What does that prove?..

KeithAFC wrote: »
    What does that prove?..
    That not all Arsenal fans are biased? :pac:

What does that prove?..

Moreso nostalgia about ye olde rivalry than anything else.

Vieira. Not even a contest.

Yeah... right.
    What does that prove?..

That your wrong. Your biased anyway.

Le King wrote: »
    Yeah... right.

Not really.

I judge it purely on football ability. Roy Keane has won more than Xavi, but Xavi is better than Roy Keane.

Even Vieira came out and said Keane was one of the best ever.

• Advertisement

Ah pot/kettle to be fair ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Not really.

I judge it purely on football ability. Roy Keane has won more than Xavi, but Xavi is better than Roy Keane.

Xavi as a creative playmaker yes.

Keane is the better leader and defensive midfielder. Vieira was bricking it in the video above.

Not really.

Not a really great ideology regardless.

Either way Keane was the greatest Sports icon born on this island ever. He was also better than Patrick Viera.

cson wrote: »
    Ah pot/kettle to be fair ;)

How would I be biased?
    ;):pac:

Not a really great ideology regardless.

Either way Keane was the greatest Sports icon born on this island ever. He was also better than Patrick Viera.
    I think the ideology was fair. Vieira was as much of a great influence on Arsenal as Roy Keane was on Utd. Its just Keane perhaps played in better squads longer.

And George best is the greatest player to of ever lived on the Island of Ireland.

I think the ideology was fair. Vieira was as much of a great influence on Arsenal as Roy Keane was on Utd. Its just Keane perhaps played in better squads longer.

And George best is the greatest player to of ever lived on the Island of Ireland.
    Call me pedantic but Dixie Dean lived here when he played for Sligo Rovers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Vieira was physically stronger but Keane was miles ahead in leadership and influence on the pitch.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Vieira was physically stronger but Keane was miles ahead in leadership and influence on the pitch.
    We have to remember Vieira had those qualities too. Vieira was also a part of the great French era which seen them win the World cup and European championships. Vieira in a footballing aspect was the better footballer. Keane made up for that (not saying he was a bad footballer at all) with his leadership skills and work rate.

We have to remember Vieira had those qualities too. Vieira was also a part of the great French era which seen them win the World cup and European championships. Vieira in a footballing aspect was the better footballer. Keane made up for that (not saying he was a bad footballer at all) with his leadership skills and work rate.
    Keane rarely, if ever gave the ball away. Every time he picked it up he knew what he was going to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Voltwad wrote: »
    Keane rarely, if ever gave the ball away. Every time he picked it up he knew what he was going to do with it.

Yeah, pass it 4 yards side ways to someone who could actually do something with it, usually the little ginger fella.

To get united through to the 99 final in the way he did, on his own basically, knowing he wouldn't play was fantastic (heartbreaking for him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

terrible thread, roy keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Roy Keane is the best midfielder ever to play in the Premier League ergo he is better than Viera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What eagle eye said

Keane has no equal in recent history, take nothing away from Viera, in his day he was quite the athlete, but he was no Roy Keane

Roy Keane can slam revolving doors, Superman wears Roy Keane pajamas etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Paddy Vieira gets my vote here, always loved how he played and had a great mix of defensive and attacking ability.

• Advertisement

It honestly shocks me to see how anybody (other then hardcore arsenal fan boys ;) ) can vote for paddy here

Viera v Gerrard - Viera
    Viera v Lampard - Viera
    Viera v Essien - hmmmm....id have to give that thought actually
    Veira v Keane - Keane! its that easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

kryogen wrote: »
    It honestly shocks me to see how anybody (other then hardcore arsenal fan boys ;) ) can vote for paddy here

Viera v Gerrard - Viera
    Viera v Lampard - Viera
    Viera v Essien - hmmmm....id have to give that thought actually
    Veira v Keane - Keane! its that easy

Essien > Keane, Vieira, Gerrard & Lampard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you ever watch footage of Utd during 97 - 04, one of the things that stands out is Keane constantly coming all the way back to collect the ball from his centre backs and start moves off. You could talk all day about his phenomenal athleticism, his toughness, how well he read the game and lead those around him, etc - but he actually passed the ball really well throughout the course of his career, and chipped in with vital goals too.

He was a beast, he wanted it more. At the end of the day, when the chips were down and his teams up against it was when he played his best football. The same cannot be said so forcefully about Vieira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Roy Keane. No contest. No matter who the opposition, he only knew one way to play, and that was with 100% effort! I think of him in the green shirt against teams like Cyprus (the days before they were our arch nemesis:rolleyes: ). He'd be still 100% committed, and demanding the same from his team. Inspirational player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

It has to be Roy Keane anyway, he always did his best to give 100% and demanded that of everyone around him, this led to his downfall eventually. Viera was probably better technically but that was never Keanes best attribute, he was a determined, inspirational leader and guided Utd through one of their greatest ever periods, granted he had the team around him but I dont think they would have been the same team if he wasn't there.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, pass it 4 yards side ways to someone who could actually do something with it, usually the little ginger fella.

If thats all you think Keane did, then im sorry to have to be the one to tell you pal, but you know sweet **** all about football

try a different sport maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

keane...a beast of a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Helium

Keano! Keano!

Keane anyday of the week. Even though I hate Man utd always a Keane fan, a player who went out wearing his heart on his sleeve and expected nothing less than a 100% from those around him at club or international level.

On a side topic thought he really proved his honesty and pride by saying it like it was back in Saipan.For that reason alone will always hold him in high regard.

Watch the aggro start now!!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Has to be Keano, I'm a Anyone But United man but Roy is one of my heroesm think he just had a great work-hard attitude on the pitch that not many other players in any other sport have.

Both were world class in their prime.

But Keane was on another level,, a monster of a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Keane

JimiTime wrote: »
    Roy Keane. No contest. No matter who the opposition, he only knew one way to play, and that was with 100% effort! I think of him in the green shirt against teams like Cyprus (the days before they were our arch nemesis:rolleyes: ). He'd be still 100% committed, and demanding the same from his team. Inspirational player.
    No contest.. deary me..

Vieira, one of the greatest midfielders in the last 20 years. World cup winner, European championship winner etc. Truly world class player. No contest, ffs.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Keane was a brilliant passer of the ball, people are just to ignorant to remember that. He was a giant among men, never be another like him. As Fergie once said, in 200 years people will still talk of him as a United Legend.

He was that good he could have played in the 1970 Brazil Team and would not have looked out of place.

bullvine wrote: »
    Keane was a brilliant passer of the ball, people are just to ignorant to remember that.

Whoa the pony; the man was no Xavi now. Brilliant at breaking up an attack and getting a team going forward but incisive passing isn't something that would stick in the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No contest.. deary me..

Vieira, one of the greatest midfielders in the last 20 years. World cup winner, European championship winner etc. Truly world class player. No contest, ffs.:pac:

What do team accolades matter about how good a player is?
    You used that yourself on the second page when comparing Xavi and Keane, FFS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement