Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane or Patrick Viera

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

KeithAFC wrote: »
    No contest.. deary me..

Vieira, one of the greatest midfielders in the last 20 years. World cup winner, European championship winner etc. Truly world class player. No contest, ffs.:pac:

He was certainly a great player, viera that is, but not compared to Keane. Also, IIRC, he wasn't a first teamer in neither the WC nor EC win for France. Not that its relevant anyway, but WC 2002 is the first tournament I remember Viera as first choice. Might be wrong about that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

cson wrote: »
    Whoa the pony; the man was no Xavi now. Brilliant at breaking up an attack and getting a team going forward but incisive passing isn't something that would stick in the memory.

He said brilliant, not incisive.

You can be an incisive passer and still not be a brilliant passer of the ball, overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Vieira was the classier player - preferred to see him play than Keane. But then being half French and an Arsenal fan you wouldn't expect me to say anything different really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

JimiTime wrote: »
    He was certainly a great player, viera that is, but not compared to Keane. Also, IIRC, he wasn't a first teamer in neither the WC nor EC win for France. Not that its relevant anyway, but WC 2002 is the first tournament I remember Viera as first choice. Might be wrong about that though.

He was a first teamer for EC2000 and used as a sub in 98. He did set up Petit for the 3rd goal in the final though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I may be biased as United fan but would have to say Keane.

Which player would you rather when the chips were down and your team needed someone to lead you? That would be Roy all the way.

Also another reason for me anyway as to why he was the better player, is that he would always get that extra 10-20% better performance from his team mates, thats especially true when he wore the Green jersey.

Players were afraid to make a mistake and take the rant from Roy. That's what made him different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

baz2009 wrote: »
    What do team accolades matter about how good a player is?
    You used that yourself on the second page when comparing Xavi and Keane, FFS.
    Thats why i think people are picking Keane because of the trophies he has won but Vieiras record is world class. Actually, probably better than keanes as he has a world cup medal and European championship medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Thats why i think people are picking Keane because of the trophies he has won but Vieiras record is world class. Actually, probably better than keanes as he has a world cup medal and European championship medal.

People are picking keane because he is better than viera on all levels, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Roy Keane has won more than Xavi,

Nottingham Forest Manchester United Celtic

Barcelona

????

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    People are picking keane because he is better than viera on all levels, simple as.
    No he isn't. Vieira is the better footballer.

• Advertisement

No he isn't. Vieira is the better footballer.

This shows you know nothing about football, in what way is viera even slightly better than keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Both absolute awesome players.

Bit retarded people saying no contest really as they are 2 of the dominant midfielders of the premiership era. Also annoying how people are thinking of the latter days Roy Keane when just talking about attitude/work rate and more defensive minded attributes. For most of the 90's/early 00's he was much more than just a defensive midfielder as he chipped in with goals and often made runs into the box. I think his technical skills are overlooked simply cause he was such an awesome leader.

My bias is always going to lead me to say Keane but its close.

This shows you know nothing about football, in what way is viera even slightly better than keane?
    lol, because i think Vieira is the better footballer, i know nothing about football. Yeah mate, pull the other one. I think he is better because he had more natural footballing ability, that adds in passing, vision and his movement on the pitch from the defensive to offensive side of the game for me was better than Keane.

I never said Keane was sh*t. The way you put that post to me was as if i said Keane was rubbish. I didn't. Iv watched enough football to be able to come to that opinion. We just don't agree. Thats all. Enough great players to come to that view too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

They're both unbelievable footballers. I do agree that Viera was probably a bit better on the ball, but if i was making a dream team, and had to choose one of them to be in it (which the question should be) it'd have to be keane.

lol, because i think Vieira is the better footballer, i know nothing about football. Yeah mate, pull the other one. I think he is better because he had more natural footballing ability, that adds in passing, vision and his movement on the pitch from the defensive to offensive side of the game for me was better than Keane.

I never said Keane was sh*t. The way you put that post to me was as if i said Keane was rubbish. I didn't. Iv watched enough football to be able to come to that opinion. We just don't agree. Thats all. Enough great players to come to that view too.

Keane scored more goals for Utd than Viera has in his whole domestic career so far.

He has also scored 3 more goals on the International level than Viera in 40 less appearances.

That doesn't really point to Viera being a better attacking footballer tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Vieira ****s all over Keane and always did. But it's not surprise who is the favourite on an Irish forum (mind you, he hardly covered himself in glory in the green jersey).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

DB10 wrote: »
    Vieira ****s all over Keane and always did. But it's not surprise who is the favourite on an Irish forum (mind you, he hardly covered himself in glory in the green jersey).

Did you not see the tunnel incident where Vieira was almost crying?

Vieira ****s all over Keane and always did.

I've seen some bad posts on this forum but this up there with the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Roy Keane. Don't even need to explain as it has perfectly put in many of the previous posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

FLASH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    KING OF THE IMPOSSIBLE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Only two groups of people could possibly pick Viera over Keane:

Blinkered Arsenal fans
    Blinkered Irish fans

Keane is imo the best player since the start of the premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Wow, I think we just found Conno16!!!! Most non-sensical post I have read in a long long time.
    IMO they are the 2 best midfielders to ever grace the PL.
    Keane will never be remembered for his attacking ability but as stated in an earlier post, he has scored more goals for Utd than Vieira has in all domestic leagues he played in. Also scored more international goals.
    Vieira's football was more attractive, but unfortunately in the Best PL XI, he will always be warming the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

No contest.. deary me..

Vieira, one of the greatest midfielders in the last 20 years. World cup winner, European championship winner etc. Truly world class player. No contest, ffs.:pac:

Busquets is the greatest midfielder in the past 20 years. World Cup winner, European Championship winner, Champions League winner.......

See what I did there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The fact that the majority of fans here are united supporters and also from Ireland I'd say this is going to be a tad biased.

I'll go for Vieira. Look even now that he's on his last legs he still has the quality to play for Juve, milan and now at city. Keane in his last days couldn't even dominate midfields against the likes of Dunfermline.

In their prime it was very close but i'd still go Vieira, he had less quality around him than Keane but still managed to lift 3 titles with Arsenal.

We should ask this question in a French forum, I'd say half would ask who Roy Keane is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The fact that the majority of fans here are united supporters and also from Ireland I'd say this is going to be a tad biased.

I'll go for Vieira. Look even now that he's on his last legs he still has the quality to play for Juve, milan and now at city. Keane in his last days couldn't even dominate midfields against the likes of Dunfermline.

In their prime it was very close but i'd still go Vieira, he had less quality around him than Keane but still managed to lift 3 titles with Arsenal.

We should ask this question in a French forum, I'd say half would ask who Roy Keane is?

Well considering he didn't play in the league that most of the French people have in interest in, why would they? That's a completely stupid point.

When has Vieira last "dominated" a midfield as you put it?
    He's been shíte the last 3 years or so and City only signed him to cause a bit of a stir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

silly billy me thinks

Are French football fans less informed than the rest of us or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Viera wasnt even 30 when he played for juve and they shipped him out after a season, he then went to inter where he sat on the bench and convinced everyone he was passed it. Then he moved to City to the bewilderment of city fans and the amusement of everyone else, Viera stopped being a top player a lot younger then Keane did.

My post may have come across as trolling so i'll try and say it again -

If we asked non-Iish non-united fans (which the very large majority are here) I've no doubt Vieira would come out on top, In my opinion Vieira was slightly a better than keane, although both player were world class in their prime.

Lets be honest, National biasism had us believing Iain Harte was the best left back in the world in 2002.

• Advertisement

My post may have come across as trolling so i'll try and say it again -

If we asked non-Iish non-united fans (which the very large majority are here)
    I've no doubt Vieira would come out on top, In my opinion Vieira was slightly a better than keane, although both player were world class in their prime.

Lets be honest, National biasism had us believing Iain Harte was the best left back in the world in 2002.

I'd say the majority are Liverpool fans, all you have to do is look at the post count/views of the Liverpool thread to the United one. A good few Liverpool supporters chose Roy Keane. Stop talking from your anal cavity.

I'd say the majority are Liverpool fans, all you have to do is look at the post count/views of the Liverpool thread to the United one. A good few Liverpool supporters chose Roy Keane. Stop talking from your anal cavity.

Anal cavity?

Well it's my opinion son that Vieira is better so no point arguing really, but i can guarantee more people in the world will say Vieira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anal cavity?

Well it's my opinion son that Vieira is better so no point arguing really, but i can guarantee more people in the world will say Vieira.

How can you guarantee? Fair enough you think Viera is the better player but you seem to vastly under estimate Keanes impact on the European game.

You can't guarantee that at all. You must have a very poor opinion of football fans around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

eZe^ wrote: »
    Busquets is the greatest midfielder in the past 20 years. World Cup winner, European Championship winner, Champions League winner.......

See what I did there?

He wasn't in the Euro 2008 squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Well it's my opinion son that Vieira is better so no point arguing really.

Ah, so when its something as infallible and definitive as an opinion there really is no point in discussing it. If it was something unreliable like a fact or a statistic, we could spend all day debating those I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

token56 wrote: »
    Keane v Vieria

This should be a nice unbiased discussion :rolleyes:

Unbiased Liverpool fan.

Keane better comfortably. Far better allrounder.

Anal cavity?

Statistics say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Keane was the better player.

Viera was better in terms of pure skill on the ball but that's it. Keane still made far more use of the skills he did have, which is proven by his better scoring record. Also Keane's skill levels weren't as poor as some people might think. He wasn't all just about having a good attitude. If you were to take away his other outstanding attributes, his passing and goalscoring alone still would have seen him having a very respectable career imho.

Both great players. Keane was the better one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

IMO the only attribute that Viera scores higher points in than Keane is athleticism. Every other area Keane is the better player/captain.

Keane for me!

Liverpool fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Viera was technically superior in almost every aspect of the game (maybe bar tackling).

Keane was by far a better leader and inspiration to all around him.

Depends on how you like your eggs done to be honest.

Statistics say otherwise.

Humour me, show me any statistic that shows keane is better

Ps. I don't want a football manager screen shot!

Depends on how you like your eggs done to be honest.

Yeah, cooked or raw.

Humour me, show me any statistic that shows keane is better

Ps. I don't want a football manager screen shot!

The fact keane scored more goals for utd than viera has scored in his whole career, and he has scored 3 more international goals in 40 less appearances.

He was clearly the better going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yeah, cooked or raw.

or all over your face! (not you baz)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'll just say that I like Vieira a hell of a lot more than Keane. While Keane may have been a better player, I think people are massively understating Vieira's abilities.

L'prof wrote: »
    I'll just say that I like Vieira a hell of a lot more than Keane. While Keane may have been a better player, I think people are massively understating Vieira's abilities.

All the no contest stuff is silly alright - especially when the two of them had some legendary contests down through the years.

As to liking Vieira more, you're an Arsenal fan aren't you? You're supposed to like Vieira more!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Viera was a quality player but Keane was a class above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just cause most people believe something to be true doesn't make it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Another big gooner here bit i cant disagree with most people here.Keane is the better all round player and his record shows it IMO!

• Advertisement
Advertisement