Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane or Patrick Viera

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Did you not see the tunnel incident where Vieira was almost crying?

Keane was the one almost crying in fairness, red faced blinking and glossy eyed

Keane is the better player for me purely down to his leadership qualities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Why is there no poll on this one?

It's keane for me every day of the week. Viera was an awesome player too though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

nuxxx wrote: »
    Keane was the one almost crying in fairness, red faced blinking and glossy eyed

Keane is the better player for me purely down to his leadership qualities
    Then Keane would be better than Xavi if we used that logic. He isn't. You can't just go off of leadership qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rob113 wrote: »
    Why is there no poll on this one?

It's keane for me every day of the week. Viera was an awesome player too though

Ahh go on then, you could give him a Tuesday or a Wednesday maybe;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Then Keane would be better than Xavi if we used that logic. He isn't. You can't just go off of leadership qualities.

FFS, just give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

why are you comparing Keane to Xavi? Compare Keane to Busquets or Mascherano, he was a different player to what Xavi is. While Xavi is better at passing and going forward he is second best at tackling and all round workrate. Keane was a better all round midfielder than Xavi imo. Also why is it so outlandish for Keane being better than Xavi in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Keane at his best was better than Xavi at his best. Quite different players and all but overall Keane was better.

Paul Scholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Might aswell point out some more statistics, and see how they go down with you.

Roy Keane is a defensive midfielder, Xavi is an attacking midfielder.

Roy keane, a defensive midfielder, has scored 51 goals in his 480 games for Man United.

Xavi, an attacking midfielder, has scored 54 goals, in his 535 games for Barcelona.

That's a measly 3 more goals, in an extra 55 games, for an "Attacking" midfielder.

Just because you say Roy Keane isn't better, doesn't make it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    I'm not saying Keane is better because he's scored more goals, I was talking about Keane's ability going forward, which seems extremely underrated by KeithAFC.

I was pointing out to Keith that there is more to Keane than Leadership qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

explain further please? Xavi is extremely attack minded, he doesn't sit deep and spends most of the game around the opponents box when his team has the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Vieira was the better footballer so id have him in my team ahead of Keane any day of the week.

You wouldn't consider being a playmaker to be an attacking role in midfield?

He's either an attacking midfielder or he's not?

IMO - he is.

I only started with Keanes scoring record because people were saying Vieira was better going forward, which simply isn't true.

And then someone said all Keane has is leadership qualities, which is also not true.

If you read up, you'll notice it was him that brought up Xavi in the first place ;)

IMO Xavi is an attacking midfielder, as is Iniesta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

let it be known i do NOT support man utd in any way, shape or form!! dont like them at all.

would love to have been able to see the roy keane from around 1999 against xavi from last season playing against each other in their primeif that makes sense!

i think keane would have reveled in it! like he did against the greatest midfielder of the past 20 years, zidane, in that champions league semi final! there was a great photo going around of zidane just looking at keane after being outclassed for the whole match and the look on his face is one of what the f**k just happened!!

keane on his best day was a sight to behold, a gaint of the game and will rightly go down in the history books as one of the best! and its not just here but all over europe and the world to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as the vtunnel video portrays Keane had the mental physical edge on Viera - in a word - fear - sorry Patrick - Roy wins this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I fear Roy Keane is taking the International break to hunt down and kill those who said Viera :pac:

Keane 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Vieira for me. If you don't agree with this then you will have to get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Keane for me. Viera was very good too and probably a more technically accomplished player, but in terms of overall effectiveness Keane was better, and Keane got the better of their midfield battles more often than not. Vieira himself actually spoke highly of Keane after Roy retired, said he was the best midfield competitor he'd come up against in his career.

Whether he likes him as a person I don't know but he certainly seemed to have huge respect for him as player which reflects well on Vieira too, that what went on on the pitch was left on the pitch. Both top class players in fairness, but for me Keane just shades it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Although I dont like the guy, I would marginally pick Keane too. Vieira would be technically better but Keane is one guy you didnt want to see flying towards you in a tackle. He had that fear factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Huge Vieira fan, have his name and no. on the back of a few jersies, but have to pick keane. Technically Vieira was a superior player, but Keane had a determination that is seen in few players. Not many players could pick a whole team up by the scruff of their necks and get them playing, going down 2-0 against Juve away and keane basically got them into the champions league final. If Vieira had Keanes determination Arsenal would've walked away with alot more titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Vieira technically superior. That's a load of bollox IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,846 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I would have loved to see Roy Keane reaction at home/on the field when Paul McShane left that ball go over his head against France.

But I picked good old Roy as well, love the man.
    His book is a really good read. Can't forget when he ended that lads career...can't remember his name, but you've all seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I would have loved to see Roy Keane reaction at home/on the field when Paul McShane left that ball go over his head against France.

His book is a really good read. Can't forget when he ended that lads career...can't remember his name, but you've all seen it.

Alf-Inge Haaland is your man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So you love Kene because he deliberately ended another player's career ? I would have thought that any fans of his would try to brush that under the carpet.

By the way I mis-spelled Keane deliberately to make up for the amount of mis-spellings of Vieira on this thread. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

greendom wrote: »

By the way I mis-spelled Keane deliberately to make up for the amount of mis-spellings of Vieira on this thread. ;)

Oh you dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

So you love Kene because he deliberately ended another player's career ? I would have thought that any fans of his would try to brush that under the carpet.

No, not exactly. But just the story behind it. when Keane was injured and he stood above him screaming that he only dived and so on.
    So when Keane seen him he said f**k it, and bang. I feel sorry for the poor lad, don't get me wrong, but it was funny when I read it.

And I love Keane for everything did for club and country!

Awful tackle though it was, it didn't end Haaland's career. It's wrong to claim that it did. Thought that myth was dispelled years ago, strange to see people still believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Na couldnt be him cause Keane didnt end his career, in fact i dunno who the chap is talking about cause i dont remember Keane ending anyones career

I see #15 got there before me to correct that bull****

thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Roy keane 8 days a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Keane without a doubt, Viera was a great player but nothing compared to Keane's intensity and leadership. His Juventus performance is unmatched by any Premiership player. He dominated midfield during his years with United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

#15 wrote: »
    Awful tackle though it was, it didn't end Haaland's career. It's wrong to claim that it did. Thought that myth was dispelled years ago, strange to see people still believe it.

It wasn't a tackle though was it, he just went out and kicked the lad, no intent of getting the ball at all.

I would vote keane, loved him at forest, but the above incident really left a foul taste in my mouth and was so cowadly that I don't think I could.

It wasn't a tackle though was it, he just went out and kicked the lad, no intent of getting the ball at all.

I would vote keane, loved him at forest, but the above incident really left a foul taste in my mouth and was so cowadly that I don't think I could.

No, not really a tackle. It was a disgraceful incident alright. It just didn't end Haaland's career, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'll bite. How could you possibly pick Viera ahead of Keane unless you are the most biased Gooner picking him for sentimental reasons?

No don't get me wrong, Viera was a very good player and he did really well for Arsenal and France. But Keane was on another level.
    Because Vieira could play football?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

#15 wrote: »
    If you knew anything about the injury, you'd know that it effectively ended Haaland's career.
    Everything else is a myth.

Advertisement