Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Trips.. Hikers wanted

Options
  • 08-10-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    We a group of friends in late 20's early 30's have just taken
    up hiking and have done our first proper hike in the Burren today and loved it, we are planning to go on another one on tuesday 12th Oct (maybe Aherlow). Anyone who would like to come along or give suggestions for good hikes particularly in the Munster region, all suggestions or anyone interested in going hiking give me a shout :)

Peter

Comments

You talking 2 or 8 hours? And you like hiking on trails, or across open country, or like getting a bit of altitude, maybe scrambling along ridges?

If I was to think of a nice trail, I guess hard to beat sections of the Kerry Way, and in particular from Kenmare to Galwey's Bridge and on to Torc ("The Old Kenmare Road"). Trail all the way, sleepers over the bog, great scenery across to the Reeks, and a nice 3-4 hours away from it all. Only drawback is that it's not a circuit, so have to arrange transport at each end, if coming from Killarney side guess could drop a car at Torc and continue on, and walk back. Or a walk through the Gap of Dunloe and into the Black Valley, under the Reeks.

If you like to get away from Trails, well then the world is your oyster in that region. From strolling through the National Park to (progressively) more difficult treks up Mangerton, Purple Mountain and Tomies, Dunkerrons, and on up to the Reeks themselves, which offer a great variety of routes to suit all demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Cheer's thanks for the info, at the moment doing looped trails but would
    like to do some hiking with altitude soon, maybe kerry or connemara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

SNNUS wrote: »
    Hello,
    up hiking and have done our first proper hike in the Burren today and loved it, we are planning to go on another one on tuesday 12th Oct (maybe Aherlow). Anyone who would like to come along or give suggestions for good hikes particularly in the Munster region, all suggestions or anyone interested in going hiking give me a shout :)

Peter

where did you go in the burren ?

Up by Fanore, Caher Valley loop about 14 k's, lovely there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Hey,

If you are thinking of hiking around the aherlow area, then the galtees are great mountains where you can get a nice circuit in. depending on your fitness levels, you could go up Cush, across to Galtee Beg and on to Galtee Mor continuing on to complete the horseshoe and back to your car. Refer to the OS Map to see what I am talking about. It is steep in places and in poor weather conditions I wouldnt advise it unless you have somebody with some mountain experience in the group.

On clear conditions however it is great and easy to navigate. Loads of opportunities to go back into the valley if you find it too difficult/strenuous.

Lots of other stuff in the Munster are too, most notably kerry. As others have mentioned, Mangerton, purple mountain, tomies etc are all great mountains to do, with the latter two being very close to kate kearney's cottage, great to unwind with a pint and bacon and cabbage after a hike!

If you are feeling confident after a while, I would recommend going for some of the other areas in the Reeks and maybe even givig carrauntoohil a go. However, i would advise doing a Mountain Skills course. They are invaluable and fill you with confidence. There are lots of providers around.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the info, On tuesday gonna head down Aherlow way, looks like their is a decent 9k looped walk mainly through forest tracks so should be good. Will def do the mountain skills course before tackling carrauntoohil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Can recommend the Comeraghs for some fantastic walks.
    It doesn't get the same exposure as some of the other more popular areas but is a brilliant place to hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PapaBooje

Pedro, I agree with Delta Kilo suggestion, we should definitely incorporate bacon and cabbage idea on Tuesday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

Have a look here for some trip suggestions. Currently lists almost 200 hikes all over Ireland and growing. Actually quite a few of me in the list :cool:.

Fairly easy targets in the Connemara would be Tully Mountain and Errisbeg. No paths, but n clear weather you should be fine. A very easy (and popular) hike is Diamond Hill in the national park, as it is all waymarked on excellent trails (no navigational challenge alas).

For a great cliff walk I recommend Inis Mor (Aran Islands). Take a minibus ride to the fort and walk along the cliffs all around the south point back to the ferry. Probably you should plan in an overnight stay as it otherwise is a very tight schedule between first boat arrival and last departure.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info mate , will check out the link. The Aran trip sounds interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Trail walking is a great start and great work has been done on the trails all around the country. There's a 26km trail in the Burren, an extension of the Caher Valley one you did which is a cracking walk. After a while you will tire of looking up at the mountains though instead of going up there - it's a whole new world. When that happens (see if I'm right) log on to www.mountaineering.ie and find a club near you that you like the sound of. Most of them have their own websites which wil give you a good idea of the type of walks and other outdoor activities they do. They will start you off on your first trips on the hills and point you in the direction of Mountain Skills training etc which is vital to be safe on Irish mountains where conditions can change rapidly.
    Have fun out there but Be Safe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rainy02

any suggestions for a young and fun hill walking goup that I can join? Just got back from Kilimanjaro climb there couple of weeks back and now have the bug and need to get out walking stat! any suggestions much appreciated!

Hi ya, glad ya caught the bug, hard to find younger hill walking clubs... What's your location??

Welcome to the great outdoors Rainy02 - in what part of the country are you based ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rainy02

Thanks for the welcome! I'm living in Leixlip, work in the city but willing to travel around to find right group. Just wanna get going asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Rainy02 wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm living in Leixlip, work in the city but willing to travel around to find right group. Just wanna get going asap!

Hi Rainy,

Check out www.clubcualann.ie for more information. We are a long established mountaineering club based primarily in the Dublin & Wicklow mountains area. We meet for pre-arranged walks every Sunday lasting for approximately 6 hours at a moderate to fast pace. There is also a rock climbing group within the club if you are interested in that.

I joined myself just over a year ago and absolutely love it. There is a good age range in the group and often we head off for planned trips a little further afield. A recent weekend trip was to the Mourne Mountains with a hike & rock climb on the Saturday followed by a hike on the Sunday.

There is no obligation to join the club so if you just fancy getting out for a few walks, get to know some of the members and see how you get on then you are more than welcome to come along. See a list of walks on the website.

Hope to chat soon

James

I'm in Munster so not much help to you.

Check out the list of clubs here www.mountaineering.ie/nearestclub/index.asp

Hint - clubs that do activities such as rockclimbing, watersports etc as well as hill walking tend to have a younger membership or at least a wider range of ages ( in my opinion )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RobMcGov

Just noticed this 50% off voucher for Portwest if anyone's interested http://www.easydeals.ie/Portwest/Blog.do?entry=/20101027 not trying to be spammy or anything but it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

That Caher Valley-Fanore 14km hike in the Burren is a gem of a walk.On a clear day last summer we did it and was very enjoyable for the whole family.We went back a few weeks later and did the other half of it up the other side of the Caher Valley and along the flat old road.Doing part of the Western Way in the next couple of weeks if the weather is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vapoci

Hi all,

I'm looking for a young hill walking group as well, Im in the late 20's and living in Cork.
    Anyone has any suggestions? Would be appreciated!

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

ckeck out the UCC hillwalking club, they might take people who are not students, i'm looking for the same myself, i'm early 30's based in waterford but have to travel to the hills anyway. there is a cork rock and ice club on facebook but dont know how much hillwalking they do,
    let me know if you find a group or well set up our own haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Novarapid.....there is a group in Rathgormack and another one based in Clonmel (www.peaksmcc.com, i think) not sure what either are like in terms of age profile but at least they are in your general direction !!!

SNNUS wrote: »
    Hello,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'd interested in ur group, if its still on... :) Any plan in the near future???

novarapid wrote: »
    ckeck out the UCC hillwalking club, they might take people who are not students, i'm looking for the same myself, i'm early 30's based in waterford but have to travel to the hills anyway. there is a cork rock and ice club on facebook but dont know how much hillwalking they do,
    let me know if you find a group or well set up our own haha

Thanks for ur answer, sure i will let u know if i got something or organize our new group? Good idea!!! UCC is taking only students, ive asked already!

vapoci wrote: »
    Hi Peter,

I'd interested in ur group, if its still on... :) Any plan in the near future???

Hi Ya, we have done a Burren walk and Glen of Aherlow and Killaoe, If we get a few more interested I'm sure we can organise another one soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Miss_Ellie

Hi there,

I'd be interested in this also....if you plan on doing another hike.

I am sure we can organise one soon.. Where are you located??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Miss_Ellie

Hi Snnus,

Thanks for the quick reply!!
    I'm based in Cork.

Ha you're lucky I was online :) send on your email in a pm.. Also if anyone else is interested please do the same :)

• Advertisement

Nice to see a growing group :D I'd be up for it as well :)

Advertisement