Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer not activating screen

• 08-10-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering if ye have any ideas/solutions for me. My screen won't recognise that the computers on, though the computer sounds like it's starting up it doesn't beep on start-up like normal.

I have tried connecting the screen to another source and it works fine. Obviously this is a problem with the computer itself, but if I can't see a display I can't find out what's wrong.

My computer only has Digital Outputs.

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi all,

Wondering if ye have any ideas/solutions for me. My screen won't recognise that the computers on, though the computer sounds like it's starting up it doesn't beep on start-up like normal.

I have tried connecting the screen to another source and it works fine. Obviously this is a problem with the computer itself, but if I can't see a display I can't find out what's wrong.

My computer only has Digital Outputs.

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks!
    Try reseating the RAM modules, could be as simple as a dislodged RAM stick/or a faulty one, try booting off one or the other on its own if the reseating doesnt work

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

When you say Digital outputs do you mean DVi (White connection) or do you have standard VGA (blue connection) or HDMI.

Describe the Outputs on the PC are there more than one.

If the motherboard has Video output, is there also a dedicated video card with more outputs.

Post a pic if you can.

The Monitor may also have different inputs, I have a monitor that accepts VGA / DVI / S-Video but you have to select the input type yourself, the button usually has an arrow pointing into a square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Could it be something like an overheating graphics card? I had a similar problem with an HDMI connection on a Radeon 4870, until I cleaned the crap out of it gave it a bit more ventilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What version of windows, what graphics card, what make & model of monitor.

If hearneys advice doesn't work...

This seems a bit silly but... monitors these days are fairly complex things compared to the old days.
    Might be worth disconnecting the power for 15 seconds to reset it. Works with some Dell LCDs anyways when they get stuck in blank 'sleep' mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I should explain further.
    I have the computer and the same monitor for about 2 years. This happened after I was using the computer and put it into sleep mode, when I pushed the enter key to start up again the computer sounded as if it was booting up properly but the screen didn't recognise it.

The outputs are DVi. There are two of them and didn't seem to make any difference. To be honest I never have tried doing anything with the internal components and am a little reluctant to do it. Are there any precautions I should take?

• Advertisement
Advertisement