Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this site dodgy....

• 08-10-2010 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there,

This caught my eye in the Goole adds while in gmail an I thought to myself it cant be that cheap!!!

Its a EOS 5D Mark II with 24-105mm Lens Kit for €2099 an can be seen here

Now Im not advertising Im thinking of buying but I am wondering if this site is dodgy as it retails @ €2826 else where!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I cant vouch for its legitimacy but at the bottom of the page they have "shipping & renurns" ;)
    plus it seems a little odd that the Leica M9 is their 3rd best seller and people who bought it also bought 1Ds MkIIIs and Leica X1s.
    Looks dodgy to me and as the saying goes "if its too good to be true, it probably isnt"

Edit: after reading the Dpreview's thread it is a scam according to them so beware :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Cheers all, Ill be keeping my hard earned dosh in me pocket for the time being.

It amazes me how this advert is advertised through Google adverts....surely Google is liable for false advertising! One could easily think this was legit!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ayup

No

Boards.ie is fine ! ! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭forza_milo

Yes it is a scam. Do a google search on "shootmarket"; there are plenty of threads about it on other forms. Company does not exist and notwithstanding UK postal address the site is maintained from a server in Lithuania.

If you attempt to pay for your purchase through the checkout on website it will inform you of a punitive (17.5%, I think) handling charge for credit card transactions. It will then invite you to transfer the money at the original price by bank transfer to their account in order to avoid such handling charges. Once money has been transferred from your bank account to theirs it is very difficult to retrieve. Further the purchaser does not have the distance selling protection afforded by credit card transactions.

Btw, in case you hadn't guessed by now they won't post you a 5d mkII either.

Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

As a general rule - when it feels dodge is usually is. When it's a lot cheaper then it should, it's a no-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

yes the website is based in Lithuania as previously stated, they own a small range of addresses ( synominous with spammers techniques) and if you'd like to call them and ask for their info here's the real peoples behind the website numbers..Good luck gettin through.

inetnum: 77.79.12.0 - 77.79.12.255
    netname: LT-ALEJA
    org: ORG-UIA2-RIPE
    descr: Webhosting, collocation services
    admin-c: RL3425-RIPE
    tech-c: MS16708-RIPE
    mnt-by: SPLIUS-MNT
    source: RIPE # Filtered

organisation: ORG-UIA2-RIPE
    org-name: UAB Duomenu Centras
    org-type: OTHER
    address: Tilzes 74
    address: LT-78140 Siauliai
    address: Lithuania
    e-mail: abuse@aleja.lt
    mnt-ref: SPLIUS-MNT

person: Remigijus Laurutis
    address: Tilzes 74-320
    address: LT-76247 Siauliai
    phone: +37041503500
    nic-hdl: RL3425-RIPE

person: Martynas Simkevicius
    address: Tilzes 74-320
    address: LT-76247 Siauliai
    phone: +37041503503
    nic-hdl: MS16708-RIPE

% Information related to '77.79.0.0/18AS25406'

route: 77.79.0.0/18
    descr: SPLIUS-NET
    origin: AS25406

Oh yeah avoid.. for a couple hundred extra euro in your pocket?? its not worth the hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a load of these scams operating from that St John's St, London address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Cableguy wrote: »
    Hi there,

This caught my eye in the Goole adds while in gmail an I thought to myself it cant be that cheap!!!
    !

whois shootmarket.com
    Domain Name: shootmarket.com
    Expiry Date: 21-Aug-2011
    Creation Date: 21-Aug-2010

traceroute www.shootmarket.com
    ...........hst-28.duomenucentras.lt

The server seems to be in Lithuania or Latvia.

The "About Us" page is good for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

hbr wrote: »
    whois shootmarket.com
    Domain Name: shootmarket.com
    Expiry Date: 21-Aug-2011
    Creation Date: 21-Aug-2010

traceroute www.shootmarket.com
    ...........hst-28.duomenucentras.lt

The server seems to be in Lithuania or Latvia.

The "About Us" page is good for a laugh.

Hi guys,

Yep, it's dodgy looking. I nearly got caught about a yr and half ago, bought a 50mm 1.2 lens (first time buying gear online) and heard nothing at all back. After a day or two I was freaking out as it was a grand! I rang and rang the numbers. It was through paypal and after contacting them (paypal) to get my money back, I eventually received an email from the 'company' at about 2am in the morning was the time on it!! It was supposed to be from the North. Luckily I have a friend who knows Belfast v well and went to college near where their location was and she told me it was a block of derelict flats. My dad became detective and looked them up through that business registration listing thing and what came up was frightening.They had set up so many times all over the place, here and in the UK and who knows where else! I googled them and look what I found and it's just for starters http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=36263801 :eek:

Anyway long story short, 'they' guaranteed I'd receive my lens by email but I was having none of it. Why didn't they ring me if they were ligit?? If in doubt stay with who you trust. It's a bit more money but at least you have peace of mind. Oh I eventually got my money back and bought off a 'proper' company, and I'm still very happy with my lens ...phew!

• Advertisement
Advertisement