Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Garda firearm gone missing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

According to the Examiner a .38 S&W and 60 rds of ammunition has gone missing from a Garda station.
    If this is used in a crime would it also be linked to licensed owners like the last case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

If it wasn't so serious it would be funny :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Merging threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

According to RTE news this morning it was a shotgun :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

rrpc wrote: »
    According to RTE news this morning it was a shotgun :confused:

Ah, with the level of expertise we commonly encounter when firearms are being reported in the press it could be anything from a seven-barrelled flintlcock to a multi-dimensional phaser.

Or even a 38cal S&W shotgun revolver gun assault-pistol bullet sniper-gun bullet head shooter.

Long time since the AGS had .38cal revolvers, surely?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

tac foley wrote: »
    Long time since the AGS had .38cal revolvers, surely?tac

Knowing the Guards it could have been missing for years and no one noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Just anticipating the Garda press release

..."this firearm is the favourite weapon of criminals" ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ah, with the level of expertise we commonly encounter when firearms are being reported in the press it could be anything from a seven-barrelled flintlcock to a multi-dimensional phaser.

Or even a 38cal S&W shotgun revolver gun assault-pistol bullet sniper-gun bullet head shooter.

Long time since the AGS had .38cal revolvers, surely?

tac

The Sig P226 is filtering its way down though the different units ERU, NSU, RSU etc. A small station in Tipp may not see a Sig for years yet!! Traing cources on new firearm need to be run as well slowing it up. As well as that some detectives prefer the .38.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

tac

and Black!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Obviously it wasn't one of the new Glock semi-automatic revolver shotguns then? God help us when the meeja find out about them yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

johngalway wrote: »
    Obviously it wasn't one of the new Glock semi-automatic revolver shotguns then? God help us when the meeja find out about them yokes.
    It isn't a Glock or Semi-auto but there
    are revolver shotguns...

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It isn't a Glock or Semi-auto but there
    are revolver shotguns...

Yeah, seen shotguns online before with a cylinder.

Must get back to you again later about those last few PM's! Got distracted :rolleyes:

BryanL wrote: »
    and Black!

Blast. I knew I'd missed out something important.

Better yet - 'tactical' black.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Blast. I knew I'd missed out something important.

Better yet - 'tactical' black.

tac

with lazer sights and explosive ballistic tip ammo :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Don't forget your lights and levels and NV scopes!

Garda firearms experts have released a photo of the missing "WEAPON":

solderingiron.jpg
    ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Between that and another EX Gardas claim for 25K in the high court while slipping on the Garda firearms range up the mountains somwhere on a wet railway sleeper and breaking a UZI SMG by falling on it!:eek::eek::eek::eek:[OI Veh! some shmuck was asleep on the production line that day!!]
    Yet corageously continuing his shooting course with his revolver and scoring 95% at 25 yards.:eek::eek::rolleyes:.His case was dismissed, and the other lot going off to a print copy shop and having the extremly confidential file nicked !!
    What are they like these days?????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

new update :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1008/tipperary.html

some sloppy security

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Looks like it was found ( maybe it fell behind a desk?).
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1008/tipperary.html

Great crime solving skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

or awastepaper basket :eek:

• Advertisement

'The .38 Calibre Smith & Wesson and ammunition was discovered this morning in another secure insecure area in the station.'

Fixed it for yez.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's the other incident referred to above (as supplied to the mods by a 'concerned citizen' of this forum:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1006/1224280471183.html

None of this stuff is strictly anything much to do with Sport Shooting/Shooting Sports, apart from perhaps positing the theoretical question of what would happen to any of us 'non-professionals' if we were to handle our firearms or their storage in a similar manner.
    It may also shed some light on the 'OMG!' attitude taken by some Gardai to our possession of firearms, if their only previous/regular exposure to firearms is their colleagues occasional 'little adventures' as noted in this thread. :rolleyes:

Plus one Rovi.
    Maybe we should put together a sticky or somthing like Press clippings here over the time span since Nov 2008 of "Professionally trained police force Vs mere civillians gun accidents,death[accidental or otherwise] or loss thru negligence."Poll.
    Could make for intresting reading!:rolleyes::(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

A certain garda main station not too far from me ;) had 2 members walking along the corridier one evening talking about cups of tea or what ever they do while pottering about happened to be stopped by their sgt and told you and you are going on a firearms course. The station has an annual budget to spend and the course had to be done by somoene. Shipped off up the north west for a couple of days to learn how to use the new firearms that were eventually going to pass down along to the stations.
    First days training involved being handed 2 guns, there is your target here is a couple of boxes of ammo off ya go lads. All in all the most they got was about half an hours official training on the first day. The second day seemed to consist of the same routine, arrived given ammo and let off to their own devices. The same 2 fellas arrived back in the station having "compleated" a course in firearms have stated quiet clearly that the probability of them ever using the guns they got to "train" on was slim to zero and the fact that they happened to be the first 2 gob****es that the sgt bumped into was the only reason they were picked.

Ah! The old two voulenteers needed ..you and you.:D
    If thats true,thats VERY scarey!!:eek::eek:.Considering a range got some awful bother about doing somthing like this with two SB lads a few years ago..

Well, I don't want to stir it all up again, as it was well covered in a previous thread, but when a "garda sniper" can't account for all rounds fired at a distance of 50 to 80 meters, then the depth of training shows through. :mad::mad:

I wonder do these incidents of, shall we call it, "misplacing" firearms have anything to do with how people value things they get for nothing?

I spent a lot of money on my firearms, and I'm fairly sure I'll never "misplace" any of them.

If the armed Gardai had to leave in a deposit for a firearm at the start of a shift, collect it on return of the firearm, I wonder how many would "misplace" them then?

Don't know about that JG just found my AI with S&B scope down the side of the couch beside the TV remote :o

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

homerhop wrote: »
    A certain garda main station not too far from me ;) had 2 members walking along the corridier one evening talking about cups of tea or what ever they do while pottering about happened to be stopped by their sgt and told you and you are going on a firearms course. The station has an annual budget to spend and the course had to be done by somoene. Shipped off up the north west for a couple of days to learn how to use the new firearms that were eventually going to pass down along to the stations.
    First days training involved being handed 2 guns, there is your target here is a couple of boxes of ammo off ya go lads. All in all the most they got was about half an hours official training on the first day. The second day seemed to consist of the same routine, arrived given ammo and let off to their own devices. The same 2 fellas arrived back in the station having "compleated" a course in firearms have stated quiet clearly that the probability of them ever using the guns they got to "train" on was slim to zero and the fact that they happened to be the first 2 gob****es that the sgt bumped into was the only reason they were picked.

And you believe that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don't know about that JG just found my AI with S&B scope down the side of the couch beside the TV remote :o

Which did you change channels with though? That's what I wanna know :D

Advertisement