Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps & Timetables - ALL Cavan Busses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

cheers mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

nice find!

would be nice if there was a list of Bus Eireann alternatives to dublin though too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

nice find!

would be nice if there was a list of Bus Eireann alternatives to dublin though too.

The County Council list shows ALL operators available - there are no private operators on that route.

This should be a model for all county council sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nice find!

WHY?

There used to be a half dozen of them, ALL leaving with a service in the morning and ALL leaving Dublin in and around 5pm and the last Bus Eireann at 6.30 on a Friday leaving dublin city centre.
    So god help you if you were working in the suburbs and needed to get home on a Friday.
    Or if you wanted to get to Cavan from Dublin early in the morning? The first bus was a Donegal bus at 9am.

But what use was that having private services cherry picking peak times?
    It meant a slightly cheaper option to Bus Eireann (if you wanted to travel at the limited times offered) but then nobody had the economies of scale to run late evening services or regular daytime services.
    And now theres 3 pre 9am busses leaving Dublin for Cavan.

re price.
    Yes its not the cheapest, 20 euros return for a regular adult return.
    A euro each way would be lovely.

But there are deals.
    - A midweek return is €15.75
    - A "family ticket" for 2 adults and 3 kids is 40 Euro return
    - Or a 10 journey weekly ticket? That's €45.90, working out as a return trip to Dublin for a commuter of a measly €9.20

YOU've obviously thought about this a lot. That or you work for them! :p I'm just being selfish and thinking about the money in my pocket that i don't have to go home once a month and see my dad.

I have to say fair play to Bus Eireann for the amount of busses heading that direction, but I didn't realise there was actually no other busses travelling the route! oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

What we really need is for Bus Éireann to get their act together and put on a few Cavan-Dublin direct busses which take advantage of the M3 motorway.

There's a good idea. They had two going to Dub on Sunday last at 8pm, would've made more sense to have one go express on the M3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I got the 7pm bus back to dublin last sunday that went up the M3 direct and out the m50 and down the swords roads just past dcu...

very handy bus for me I have to say and I hope they keep doing this route because it knocked 30 minutes of my journey anyways

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I got the 7pm bus back to dublin last sunday that went up the M3 direct and out the m50 and down the swords roads just past dcu...

very handy bus for me I have to say and I hope they keep doing this route because it knocked 30 minutes of my journey anyways
    Was that bus eireann running that bus?

Technically they shouldnt have a 7pm Sunday bus BUT if its a relief bus for the 8pm bus, filled up early, then thats allowed!!!

As a tangent, there also used to be a relief bus on the Belfast run from the bus station (havent used it in 10 years so cant say what the story is now). It'd stop at Clones and if full enough, then non stop to Belfast. Like the Dublin bus, it would save you 40 mins+ using all by passes and Motorway en route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Was that bus eireann running that bus?

Technically they shouldnt have a 7pm Sunday bus BUT if its a relief bus for the 8pm bus, filled up early, then thats allowed!!!

As a tangent, there also used to be a relief bus on the Belfast run from the bus station (havent used it in 10 years so cant say what the story is now). It'd stop at Clones and if full enough, then non stop to Belfast. Like the Dublin bus, it would save you 40 mins+ using all by passes and Motorway en route.

ahh it wasn't a bus eireann bus no - but i don't care :cool: was at dcu at half 8 :D i love the M3

• Advertisement

The council has revamped the bus info page to be a bit more readable.
    Hats off to them!

http://www.cavancoco.ie/cavanweb/publish/domain/cavancoco/Default.aspx?StructureID_str=355

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

A massive list of bus routes but have to say I live in the village of Ballyjamesduff and they bus services are nothing short of a disgrace!!!
    It is really poor for a village with a population of almost 2,000 to have little or no services. Unless you make your way to Virginia, but what if a person didnt drive?

Ginger83 wrote: »
    A massive list of bus routes but have to say I live in the village of Ballyjamesduff and they bus services are nothing short of a disgrace!!!
    It is really poor for a village with a population of almost 2,000 to have little or no services. Unless you make your way to Virginia, but what if a person didnt drive?
    Agree 100%.

Its a catch 22 though.
    Local councils in Ireland have no say or cash to influence any public transport initiatives (rural transport granny minibusses aside)
    And nobody wants to pay any local taxes.
    And then everyone wonders why theres no local services! (and no parks and whatnot)

Also, Bus eireann isnt a charity. Technically each route should be self sufficient and cross subsidation isnt allowed. (and unprofitable routes then are subsidied directly from Dublin central exchequer funds)

So if they arent providing anything, would the Dept of transport not do something, you might ask?
    Well again no. Because their role since the 1932 bus regulation laws was to stop too many busses operating on a route simultaneously, NOT to make sure the people had a decent service!
    Thier job was not to take initiative, it was to regulate others taking the initiative!

So... simply put nobody taking the initiative is the problem!

Seriously. If there was 10,000 or 40,000 living in Ballyjamesduff, theres no guarantee that they would have any transport.
    Its up to a bus operator of some sort to come up with a plan. And if none dont then tough!!

Well..... there is hope.
    Since a few months ago the Dept of Transport is no longer in charge of bus transport!
    Their replacement the NTA has as its core mission statement, to take initiative and to try and have the best service possible for the public.
    Which, can you believe, is the first time that the transport authority is focused on the commuter as opposed to simply being in existence to settle arguments between transport companies.

Already (seemingly thanks to the NTA and the new commuter centered laws) there is a 4 times a day commuter service linking Cavan-Ballinagh-Granard-Athboy and this week Cavan and Monaghan are linked for the first time with services that a working person could use.

Maybe you should fire a mail to them to see if they recognise the problem and can come up with a solution?
    Even if the students had a service on a Sunday night to Dublin and Friday night coming back, it would be a start.
    (if you had Killeshandra-Killnaleck-ballyduff and direct to Dublin, then you would possibly even fill 2 busses, if not 3 on a Sunday evening. Whartons used to run such a service years back with a double decker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Ginger83 wrote: »

I totally agree with you. I cant believe that there isnt a regular bus service running through Ballyjamesduff. Even if there was a feeder bus that ran to Virginia a few times a day to coincide with the 109 or 30 arriving in Virginia. Its a pain when I go back up to Dublin to visit my family and get the bus up and back. I have to be picked up in Virginia all the time. It would be so much handier if the bus went to Ballyjamesduff. I could walk the 2 miles from there home.

I am sure there are people living in BJD who travel to Dublin for work. What would be perfect would be a feeder bus to Viriginia and then a bus from there to Dublin that uses the M3 motorway.

Advertisement