Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marjah Offensive Documentary

• 08-10-2010 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

If you missed this on TV last night its worth a look online channel4 on demand:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3128906

Documentary on the US marines op to take a taliban stronghold of Marjahn Feb 2010. Hour by Hour account of the op. Recommend it if you are interested in the war in Afghanistan. Astonishing film of combat.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I watched it and it was eye opening. The political and propaganda BS in the aftermath was equally as interesting. Overall, I thought the politics of the situation overshadowed the military significance and ultimately put the US in a very bad light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ah nice one, been doing a lot of reading on Afghanistan so definitly gonna give this a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone watch it? Didn't find it overly exciting, bits of it were really sad but compared to Ross Kemp in Afghanistan I didn't find it half as interesting, I dunno, there was something really unlikeable about how the marines go about their business, they just seem totally gun-ho without really caring about who they kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

siblers wrote: »
    Anyone watch it? Didn't find it overly exciting, bits of it were really sad but compared to Ross Kemp in Afghanistan I didn't find it half as interesting, I dunno, there was something really unlikeable about how the marines go about their business, they just seem totally gun-ho without really caring about who they kill.

What I noticed was in between their movements when they were resting they were mostly joking and what not, where as the Afgan forces with them were just expressionless. Probably down to culture, or maybe because it's their country that it's all happening in. Not slating the marines saying they should be crying every 5 seconds though!

It showed also that the Afgan forces, well those shown in this documentary are still being baby sat by ISAF. When they had to clear that compound it was like watching a pack of airsofters try and do room clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Siblers
    I dunno, there was something really unlikeable about how the marines go about their business, they just seem totally gun-ho without really caring about who they kill.
    you weren't watching the same film I was. It was quite obvious the opposite was true. They had to sit there and watch as Taliban got themselves into position quite openly while unarmed and cursed impotently when the Taliban cynically used children as cover to get away. Try watching it again.

Sod'o swords, I agree it probably a culture thing. We Irish would probably be joking the same way. It's a way of releasing nervous energy. It's also a soldier (Marine) thing, kind of like keeping up a brave face. Although I don't know if I would be joking if I knew I could be taken out by a sniper at any moment as several of the Marines were.

It was interesting though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

xflyer wrote: »
    Although I don't know if I would be joking if I knew I could be taken out by a sniper at any moment as several of the Marines were.
    Did you see the guy whose helmet was creased by a snipers bullet? I don't think it had fully registerd with him how close to death he came.

Advertisement