Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Nikon 18-55 to 18-105...

• 08-10-2010 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hello there,

I have a D40 and my kit lens is not working very well lately so I need to change it.
    Is it a good move going to a 18-105? Has anybody tried this and seen any improvement in quality or should I invest more money? If so what would you recommend?
    Thanks!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

A few links from Ken Rockwells site might be of use.

review of 18-55 lens

review of 18-105mm

He seems to suggest if you have the money look at the 18-200mm

I personally have the 18-105 and find it perfect for anything I ever wanted it to do but I would be a relative newcomer to photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

What problems are you finding with the lens? Is it an image quality/speed thing, or just the range that it gives you?

If it's purely that 55mm doesn't get you close enough to what you want to photograph, I'd think about picking up a 55-200 on adverts or somewhere -there's no need to replace the 18-55 end as you already have it.

If it's a question of the lens not being fast enough, then that's a different question, and the answer's will get pretty pricey! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Well, there is some mechanical issue I believe and also a mark I can't get rid off... I already have an used 70-300 and I am very satisfied with the sharpness and definition so I was looking for that wow factor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

I have an 18-105 and its seldom off my d90.

My 18-55 was dropped and did not attach to my d90 properly so i bought a reverse lens adaptor ( about €7 on e-bay ) and now use it for macro shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

lucianot wrote: »
    Well, there is some mechanical issue I believe and also a mark I can't get rid off... I already have an used 70-300 and I am very satisfied with the sharpness and definition so I was looking for that wow factor :)

In that case I'd look at getting a second hand replacement for the 18-55, you'll get one on adverts for around a hundred bucks -no point in spending more on a 18-105 when you've got the long end covered by the 70-300 in my view! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its an improvement in range... not too much optically tho... for your price range I'd look at a 50mm 1.8 tbh... better investment... to get closer you can move... to get better quality images... you need better glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If you already have a 70-300mm lens the logical step would be to get a Nikon 18-70mm. These are a fantastic lens...very sharp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Thanks guys. After a sudden attack I just bought new a 16-85mm!
    I was chatting with a friend and I thought it would be the best decision..
    It should be a better lens than the 18-105 anyways, a little wider and sharper I believe.

Advertisement