Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Holiday

Options
  • 08-10-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows any cheap airlines that travel to New Zealand from Dublin/Belfast/London?

So far Malaysia airlines look reasonable compared to the rest.

I'm thinking of heading in January, so some tips on when the ticket prices would be lowest are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Have a look at Singapore airlines, can't beat them imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sundaybrunch

I've flown to New Zealand twice once with Quantas and once with Emirates. I don't think the fares were all that different but it definitely depends on what time of year you are going. Have a look on kayak.com for cheap flight deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

cheapest airline I found was Malaysian airlines by far!

Food wasnt bad, tvs on each seat,free minerals and alcohol and seats werent bad either(and im over 6.4), id just recommened trying not to fly into kuala lumpur as its a dive they do stop elsewhere like hong kong for round the same price.

I booked through sayit and the ended up been even cheaper than online to be fair to them and I had someone to ring when i had to change flights as malaysian airlines are crap to deal with over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Singapore are great.

Air Korea also worth checking out, they do cheap flights to Auckland via Seoul.

It varies a lot, for my Xmas trip home this year Lufthansa/Swissair have somehow been the cheapest with a round the world fare.

Qantas and Air New Zealand also worth a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Thanks for all the replies, some decent prices there, gonna have to shop around though, half thinking of changing it around now and stopping off somewhere along the way.

• Advertisement

pclancy wrote: »

Qantas and Air New Zealand also worth a mention

Air NZ were £100 more expensive for me, LHR -> Akl. A local travel agent in auckland were doing a special for london -> auckland return a few weeks ago for $1500. That's damn cheap, but with all the things going wrong with Qantas planes lately, I decided to skip it.

One of the best things about flying Singapore is Changi airport.. you can have a shower there at the hotel (which is airside), for i think it's $8, and that includes a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 keaneray

Living in Auckland at the moment. Going back to Ireland for Christmas and have just booked a flight back to Auckland on the 6th Jan from LHR. It cost $1600 NZD with Malaysian Airlines, 2 flights taking 28 hours in total. Could of got it cheaper if I had booked earlier and if I had booked a return in the first place.

Look at Royal Brunei, China Airlines, Cathy Pacific and probably the cheapest is Air Aisa (The Ryanair of Asia.) Be mind full that Air Asia do charge extra for baggage, meals and seat choice.

Book as soon as possible. I would recommend a couple of days stopover as it's a hell of allot of flying time. Definitely KL over singapore which is expensive.

I always use Kayak for flight search. good site.

http://www.kayak.com/flights

Wow London-Auckland return for $1500 is amazing!

My round the world fare cost $3000 and that was cheap for Xmas/New Years.

Going Wellington-Auckland-Bangkok(6day stop)-Frankfurt-Dublin(2weekstop)-Zurich-San Francisco(6 daystop)-Auckland-Welly.

I cant ever get comfy in airline seats due to being so tall so a good stopover should make the journey much nicer. I did the 28hour Qantas trek last year and it was harsh for my ass.

Nothing to fear from them safety wise eaither, they sorted out some issues they had with outsourced maintenance, excellent airline IMO.

pclancy wrote: »
    Wow London-Auckland return for $1500 is amazing!

My round the world fare cost $3000 and that was cheap for Xmas/New Years.

Going Wellington-Auckland-Bangkok(6day stop)-Frankfurt-Dublin(2weekstop)-Zurich-San Francisco(6 daystop)-Auckland-Welly.

I cant ever get comfy in airline seats due to being so tall so a good stopover should make the journey much nicer. I did the 28hour Qantas trek last year and it was harsh for my ass.

Nothing to fear from them safety wise eaither, they sorted out some issues they had with outsourced maintenance, excellent airline IMO.

Really? http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/01/2999066.htm

;)

Yes really :)

Engine failures happen all the time to every airline in the world. Its thankfully quite rare but engines will fail now and then and pilots will either continue on the other (or other three in this case) to the destination or land somewhere closer if required. Somewhat alarming for passengers but pretty routine for the aviation industry, you train and train over and again and airliners hve so much redundancy built into them that safety isnt comprimised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement