Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duathalon....cycling bib shorts?

• 08-10-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,just a quick question to all the experienced duathalon competitors,what should you wear on your lower half? I was thinking of cycling bib shorts and if so do you use them during the entire event?ie. during the running as well as the cycling section,also during short duathalons like the alive outside event in the park,would most competitors use runners for the entire event or change to cycling shoes for the cycling section,thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dunno much about _athlons, but from what I gather the vast majority of people use cycling shoes on the bike and change to them during transition. They also seem to have the shoes clipped in and slot into them while on the bike. Not something I would have thought possible, but since people do it, obviously it is possible.

Again, dunno much about running in bib shorts, I can't see it being a big deal except if you have full padding, it could be uncomfortable and lead to chafing during the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A friend of mine uses tri half-shorts.

The tri shorts have thinner padding which doesn't interfere with running.

Well-fitted bib shorts will feel uncomfortable when standing up - the straps will tend to dig into your shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'd suggest a tri suit, for the same benefits as Lumen describes. Could probably put another top layer on top over this if needed.

And go with the cycling shoes if possible. Have them clipped on too if you can. In my first tri I hadn't them clipped on to the bike, and had to run with the bike through transition. Not as uncomfortable as I thought, but it was slippy & pretty dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Skip the bib shorts or any cycling shorts if possible. From experience, the pad does get in the way when running. Use a tri suit or tri shorts as they have much thinner pad. Alternatively, if the duathlon has a short cycle leg (alive outside ones are only 12k or so) then you can go with lyrca running shorts as you'll probably not feel the lack of padding over that distance.

Deciding on shoes is a bit of a minefield...
    1. Triathlon shoes - the guys that leave shoes attached to the bike are generally using these, they have a number of useful features such as: a single large velcro strap that opens outwards so it doesn't get caught in the chainrings; wider end on the strap so it can't be accidently pulled all the way through the buckle; loops at the heel for pulling when getting the foot in and for using elastic band to keep shoe in place. If going this route, ideally you should be able to do a running mount as otherwise you'll gain little out of it. Expensive, probably not worth it if you're only dipping your toe in.
    2. MTB type shoes - reasonable option as you can run in them due to recessed cleat, so you can put them on in transition and run out of transition area. Slower to get on than triathlon shoe.
    3. Road shoes: Possibly worst option IMO. Not ideal for attaching to bike as velco straps can get caught, plus several straps and possibly ratchet mechanism to deal with. If changing in transition area, no quicker to get on than MTB shoes (possible slower if it has a ratchet mechanism). Running in them is asking for a sprained ankle. If my only shoes were road shoes, I wouldn't bother changing them, especially in a short duathlon.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can get MTB shoes which are road-like and don't have the ratchet mechanism on them. I have these, which you can just slip in and out of using two of the straps - the one near the toe can be left closed. You could probably run about 100m comfortably in them, though the cleat isn't as recessed as other MTB shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Given all the advice I've seen about getting proper runners, doing a gait analysis before taking up running etc, I dunno how good of an idea it is to try running in MTB shoes. They're not designed for it, and probably don't have the support necessary. Once or twice would be alright I'd say, but if you made a habit of it you're asking for an injury imo.

I've only done one duathlon (well, adventure race, but it was mostly running and cycling :)) so dunno how much use this is, but I used my road shoes for the bike. Changing in transition took a min or so, but if I'd been cycling in toe clips or running in MTB shoes I'd probably have lost that time anyway. As already mentioned, get a pair of tri shorts. The pad is really thin and you don't notice it running at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

mfdc wrote: »
    Given all the advice I've seen about getting proper runners, doing a gait analysis before taking up running etc, I dunno how good of an idea it is to try running in MTB shoes. They're not designed for it, and probably don't have the support necessary. Once or twice would be alright I'd say, but if you made a habit of it you're asking for an injury imo.

I don't think anybody is suggesting you do the whole run in MTB shoes - your feet would be in bits :eek:

It's the run out of transition after you grab your bike, and the run into transition after dismounting from the bike. Generally a couple of hundred metres at most, and often on a grass surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

seamus wrote: »
    Dunno much about _athlons, but from what I gather the vast majority of people use cycling shoes on the bike and change to them during transition. They also seem to have the shoes clipped in and slot into them while on the bike. Not something I would have thought possible, but since people do it, obviously it is possible.

Again, dunno much about running in bib shorts, I can't see it being a big deal except if you have full padding, it could be uncomfortable and lead to chafing during the run.

Trishorts not bib shorts. Little/bo chamois. If you are set up right and generating some power then you won't feel a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

MadHatter wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is suggesting you do the whole run in MTB shoes - your feet would be in bits :eek:

It's the run out of transition after you grab your bike, and the run into transition after dismounting from the bike. Generally a couple of hundred metres at most, and often on a grass surface.

Oops sorry... misread the post :o Had completely forgotten about the bit out of transition! I was about to cycle it but got yelled at and ended up waddling along on my road cleats, was not a highlight of the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 door handles

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions,think ill invest in some tri-shorts,as regards the shoes........the jurys still out.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

tri shorts and tri shoes are your only man

Advertisement