Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can my brother sponser me to australia

Options
  • 08-10-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

hi

i am thinking of emigratting to australia wife, kids the whole shooting gallery. i currently have 2 brothers in australia one in sydney and one just out side of perth.

the one in sydney is there for over 20yrs married and has kids and is well set up with his own business and everything. the other emigratted a little over 2yrs ago with the wife and kids and he is currently on a sub class 136 visa, a bn resident (whatever that means).

now what i would like to know is can my brother in perth sponser me, as this is the place i want to go to. i could most likely get my brother in sydney to sponser me and probably get him to give me a job offer as well. but i have heard that by going this route there is a good possibility that i could get a visa that would limit me to work in NSW only, is this true?

am i mad to not use my brother in sydney and then deal with any work restrictions once i get over there?
    if there was such a restriction what is the likelyhood of getting that restriction lifted once i got out there?
    would a sponsorship from a long term resident be better than that of a resident that has only been there for 25/26mths?
    what would it mean to my brother in perth? as in what kinda backround/financial checks would the govt. do on him to make sure that he is suitable to sponsor me? i have a fair idea what it would mean for the brother in sydney as i asked that in another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056050152
    also if i start applying now how long would it take for me to get a visa?
    would the fact that i have a job offer speed up the visa application?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

if your brother has his own business then he could technically sponsor you on a 457. Lasts for four years. Under that your wife could work anywhere and afaik your kids would be sponsored too. But you would have to work for your brother for the four years unless you can find another company to take up your sponsorship under that visa.

once you get here, there may be a wait of 6 months on the 457 or so until you can apply for permanent residency (check immi.gov.au). The permanent residency will take a while to come through I'd imagine but with that you are free to do as you please.

the brother in sydney with his own company seems a pretty solid option and imo you would be mad not to go down this route. work for him until your permanent residency comes through would be my suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

take a look here

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/835/

This visa is for you if both of these apply:

* you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
    * you and your partner have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.

Your partner and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.

Other than that apart from sponsoring you for work, then looks like a no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

padrepio wrote: »
    once you get here, there may be a wait of 6 months on the 457 or so until you can apply for permanent residency (check immi.gov.au).

There is no wait time to apply for PR from a 457 (assuming you qualify)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

hi guys and thanks for the reply

i have contacted the brother in sydney and it is as i feared his company cann't sponser me as his company has had trouble with immagration before and has since been deemed unsuitable for sponsorship(some guy on a false passport tried to get them to get sponsor ship for him, and a few more sponsored people absconded and he never informed immagration)

but he has said that he will sponsor me personally but won't be able to sponsor me with a job.
    so what type visa am i now applying for? iam also a carpenter by trade
    will his sponsoring me speed up my application?
    will my wife and kids be included in this visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Family sponsored won't speed up ur application, it only reduces the required points from 120 to 100. It will be exactly the same priority as independent skilled migration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement