Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom are going to send me to an early grave

• 08-10-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I posted on another thread about how I ordered a 7meg broadband bundle a few weeks back and after the line was installed (last week) I rang up to arrange for the modem to be sent out only to be told my line was amber and that I had a 50/50 chance of getting a 1 meg connection.

I decided to cancel the order and was put through to cancellations where I waited and waited to speak to somebody. Got no joy so I left a message for them to ring me back. 2 days have passed and no call so I rang again this morning and explained to the person I spoke to that the 7 meg bundle I ordered could not be supplied so I wanted to cancel.

I got told that I entered a 6 month contract for installation of the phone line and I would have to pay for it. When I said that I ordered a bundle online and not just a phone line I was told that when you order a bundle it is 2 seperate orders and that the line has to be installed before they can check to see if your line is suitable for broadband.

I explained that if I ordered a phone line ONLY and then broadband afterwards I could understand having to pay for the line but I ordered both together. There was no budging with this person and I asked to speak to a supervisor only to be told that they cant do that.

I was told that when you order a bundle it is explained in the terms and conditions that you have to get the phone line first. Now i just went back in and ordered a bundle under a false name but with my own email address and nowhere in the process does it say that. In fact in the timeline it gives you as to how long your order takes it says that a few days after your line is installed the modem is sent out. My line is installed since 9 days ago and I have received no modem.

To top it off the guy I spoke to said if I had have rang to order the bundle it would have been explained to me correctly and that Eircom should really take down the bundle option from the net :confused:

I wrote down the guys name on a post it but I bloody cant find it now. Anybody any ideas what I should do? There is no way in hell I am paying for a phone line that I am not using. The only reason I ordered the bundle for purely for broadband as I already have a phone line in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gazzer wrote: »
    Ithe line was installed (last week)

If it's still under 7 days(when last week) and as you got it over the internet you can get out of the contract.

http://www.eccireland.ie/topic.php?topic=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Varik wrote: »
    If it's still under 7 days(when last week) and as you got it over the internet you can get out of the contract.

http://www.eccireland.ie/topic.php?topic=6

I will have a read of that link in a bit. Thanks. The line was installed Wednesday of last week but I rang Cancellations Tuesday just gone to cancel the line and explained in the voice mail I left that I wanted somebody to ring me back to arrange to cancel the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I posted on another thread about how I ordered a 7meg broadband bundle a few weeks back and after the line was installed (last week) I rang up to arrange for the modem to be sent out only to be told my line was amber and that I had a 50/50 chance of getting a 1 meg connection.

I decided to cancel the order and was put through to cancellations where I waited and waited to speak to somebody. Got no joy so I left a message for them to ring me back. 2 days have passed and no call so I rang again this morning and explained to the person I spoke to that the 7 meg bundle I ordered could not be supplied so I wanted to cancel.

I got told that I entered a 6 month contract for installation of the phone line and I would have to pay for it. When I said that I ordered a bundle online and not just a phone line I was told that when you order a bundle it is 2 seperate orders and that the line has to be installed before they can check to see if your line is suitable for broadband.

I explained that if I ordered a phone line ONLY and then broadband afterwards I could understand having to pay for the line but I ordered both together. There was no budging with this person and I asked to speak to a supervisor only to be told that they cant do that.

I was told that when you order a bundle it is explained in the terms and conditions that you have to get the phone line first. Now i just went back in and ordered a bundle under a false name but with my own email address and nowhere in the process does it say that. In fact in the timeline it gives you as to how long your order takes it says that a few days after your line is installed the modem is sent out. My line is installed since 9 days ago and I have received no modem.

To top it off the guy I spoke to said if I had have rang to order the bundle it would have been explained to me correctly and that Eircom should really take down the bundle option from the net :confused:

I wrote down the guys name on a post it but I bloody cant find it now. Anybody any ideas what I should do? There is no way in hell I am paying for a phone line that I am not using. The only reason I ordered the bundle for purely for broadband as I already have a phone line in the house.

It is my understanding that as Broadband is not a service guaranteed at any time by eircom. You can't order a telephone line just for Broadband. Like most big companies the terms & conditions are vague at best. I think you're going to be held to the 6 month contract for the telephone line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Under distance selling regulations you may cancel within 7 days.

A formal complaint can be raised to get around the 1901 monkeys.

Use THIS online form for FORMAL complaints instead of ringing 1901. You ordered a bundle and that is that.

http://www.eircom.ie/logacomplaint

alternatively ring 1800 200 481

Log a complaint Verbally, you MUST be given,

1. A COMPLAINT REFERENCE NUMBER
    2. THE Name of the person who took the complaint.

They have 10 days to resolve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's true that broadband and the phone line are separate things, but when you order a line & broadband in a bundle, you're buying them as one. If they can't provide the order in it's entirety, then the order is void.

Since eircom's T&Cs don't actually state anything about them being separate, then I think eircom are lying in this case and just trying to stick the 6 month contract to you. Write everything down in a letter, and send it off by registered post. If you have set up a direct debit, make sure to cancel it by writing to the bank. Do not pay a penny for something that they aren't providing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jor el wrote: »
    It's true that broadband and the phone line are separate things, but when you order a line & broadband in a bundle, you're buying them as one. If they can't provide the order in it's entirety, then the order is void.

Exactly, the OP did not order a standalone line to which they later added a standalone BB package . They ordered a bundle.

Over half of all eircom lines are now DSL lines, no point eircom pretending anyone gets a line nowadays EXCEPT for broadband.

I had a similar situation about 2 years ago. Ordered a bundle with BT, line was installed and then came back with an amber pass (it later failed entirely). Never got a sniff of DSL on the line. I ended up escalating the complaint with BT but as the order was for a bundle (which they couldn't provide due to the poor state of the line) I was let out of the contract. I lost the connection fee and first month's line rental though.

This was in Drumcondra, north Dublin, hardly the middle of nowhere!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You should also copy your complaint to Comreg just for the record.

Also if you are cancelling the direct debit dont do it "silently" put it on record to them that you are not prepared to pay pending the outcome of the complaints process - that covers you as they then cannot complain that you refused to pay etc etc.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I rang Comreg earlier and the lady I spoke to gave me a complaint refernence number and an email address to send the complaint to in Eircom so I have just fired off a 7 page letter to them. Apparantly they have 10 days to come back to me.

To add insult to injury I just got an email to say that the 1meg bundle I ordered has just been confirmed and my modem will be sent out by next Monday :mad: I never ordered a bloody 1 meg bundle. What a shower of morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Incapable fools .....

Just take the modem see what you get and if below par ,ring them up and tell them they arent getting a penny so it would be in their interest to collect them.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

they are without a doubt the worst bunch of idiots I have ever came across, there technical comptency is no better than that off a retarded monkey, hence why I changed ove to vodafone when they gave me "free" next generation broadband and then charged for going over the cap, when in the previous 3 years there was never any charge!

my advice is do yourself a favour and ditch them ASAP, don't pay them a cent, and change to vodafone of UPC, you WON'T regret it!!

sonic.trip wrote: »
    they are without a doubt the worst bunch of idiots I have ever came across, there technical comptency is no better than that off a retarded monkey, hence why I changed ove to vodafone when they gave me "free" next generation broadband and then charged for going over the cap, when in the previous 3 years there was never any charge!

my advice is do yourself a favour and ditch them ASAP, don't pay them a cent, and change to vodafone of UPC, you WON'T regret it!!

Unfortunately I cant get UPC where I am (near Ballyjamesduff in Cavan). Funnilly enough I went onto the Vodafone site and when I entered the phone number it said I could get up to a 8meg connection yet when I enter the number on the Eircom site now it says the max my line would support will be 3megs.

I tweete eircomconnect and in fairness to the guy who responded he did some checking on the line and came back to me to say that the max bandwidth on the line is 1.5 and that even though I ordered a 7meg bundle Eircom will process your order for the nearest to the max your line can handle so they actually processed a 1meg bundle order for me even though I didnt wnat that :confused:

Well the modem arrived yesterday and I set it up this morning. I have tested the speed on speedtest 10 times in the last 8 hours and most times I am getting .90+ download. 2 times I got 1.02megs for the download speed.

I imagine that the broadband is running at its full capacity seems as Eircom put me on a 1meg bundle. I am wondering know if I can persuade them to put me on the 3 meg bundle. There is only a 10gig allowance with the 1meg bundle but a 30gig one with the 3meg bundle.

Are there any websites where I can run a test online and get a true picture of what my line can handlle?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well the modem arrived yesterday and I set it up this morning. I have tested the speed on speedtest 10 times in the last 8 hours and most times I am getting .90+ download. 2 times I got 1.02megs for the download speed.

I imagine that the broadband is running at its full capacity seems as Eircom put me on a 1meg bundle. I am wondering know if I can persuade them to put me on the 3 meg bundle. There is only a 10gig allowance with the 1meg bundle but a 30gig one with the 3meg bundle.

Are there any websites where I can run a test online and get a true picture of what my line can handlle?

Thanks

You should check your line stats they will tell you what your line is capable of. Remember that your isp will not be doing you any favours if they put you on a speed that your line is not capable of. Increasing the speed puts pressure on the snr which if already low will result in constant interupts.

This is what my line stats are showing

Speed: 1024 kbps /128 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 58 dB /29 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 29 dB /19 dB

I just ran speedtest again and I am getting .99megs download and .11 upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

This is what my line stats are showing

Speed: 1024 kbps /128 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 58 dB /29 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 29 dB /19 dB

Should be able to get 2/3Meg on that line but that's about all.

Advertisement