Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chinese in Portarlington

Options
  • 08-10-2010 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Following on from the Portlaoise thread what do you think is the best chinese in Portarlingon.

My vote goes to Bamboo Gardens.

Food is good, service is fast, always get what we order in the bag, good Thai selection and they have their own order service unlike others. Ok no sit down but i like my chinese as a take away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

none of them. its cat you re eating not chicken:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thanks for that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tinas for takeaway.... new star for sitting down...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    tinas for takeaway.... new star for sitting down...

I like Tina's for sitting in but not for take away. I got home too many times to find chips missing or rice missing or something and you won't bother going back down for them so its a nice way to make a few quid;)

Also with Tinas i find that if you put in an order for collection they only seem to put it in when you arrive. I've often ordered and then gone down 20 mins later to be left sitting for another 20 mins ( even in quiet times ).

BUT Tina's honey ribs are the best in town:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Ya but its tasty cat... :)

I too think Bamboo Garden is the nicest chinese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Following on from the Portlaoise thread what do you think is the best chinese in Portarlingon.

My vote goes to Bamboo Gardens.

Food is good, service is fast, always get what we order in the bag, good Thai selection and they have their own order service unlike others. Ok no sit down but i like my chinese as a take away.

I worked for bamboo the food is tasty, but theres something not right about it; They are also the biggest cnuts to work for in town. Although despite this there Singapore chow mein takes some beating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Sunny86

The indians kick all of their asses. Hate cheap meat

Yeah they do, esp great India serious vindaloo to be had there.

civichead wrote: »
    Yeah they do, esp great India serious vindaloo to be had there.

Indeed the Great India do great food, but if you compare price the indian is a lot more expensive and thats a negative against them.

A 2nd decend chipper in the town that have nothing to do with the roma would be welcome.

Indeed the Great India do great food, but if you compare price the indian is a lot more expensive and thats a negative against them.

A 2nd decend chipper in the town that have nothing to do with the roma would be welcome.

Yeah i find the one over the anvil is quite good price wise, and yeah a chipper to break the monopoly the Roma have would be great but I can't see it being sustained.
    I think there is already too many food places in town as evidenced by the loss of two of the best local ones An Chistin and The Wilton (voted best restaurant in Laois before it closed) :(

• Advertisement

civichead wrote: »
    Yeah i find the one over the anvil is quite good price wise, and yeah a chipper to break the monopoly the Roma have would be great but I can't see it being sustained.
    I think there is already too many food places in town as evidenced by the loss of two of the best local ones An Chistin and The Wilton (voted best restaurant in Laois before it closed) :(

I dont think the closure of those places had anything to do with competition.

There will be no new "chippers" in the town for a while. Planning requirements in the county development state that "take aways" will only be permitted where they are ancillary to a restaurant.

a la the new star, Dennis' and the indian over the anvil. Situations like Roma and Tinas wont happen again until this policy changes.

I know in the Wiltons case it was simply that they couldn't match the pricing and familiarity of other restaurants in town, despite having way way better food imo, but your right i think An Chistin was something else i have an idea what but I dont want to speculate.

Shame about the planing laws in a relatively small town like this it just pushes away jobs due to the higher cost of running a restaurant and reinforces the monopoly; not saying the roma is a terrible chipper its just competition benefits everybody in the long run.

the only food service business that i can see that havent dropped prices over the last two years is take-aways....

... and i can bet suppliers have dropped wholesale prices!!!!

I like roma burgers and pizzas, itys just a pity about their chips and curry.
    They should have kept murphys old recipe, now there was good chips!!!

Yeah especially pizza places like domino's etc their price is actually ridiculous for the stuff that you get; and yeah either that or take lessons from a decent chipper ala Silvio's in Rathangan, although why would they when they are the only option in town for chips so they can be as crap as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beachbuggy68

I like Tina's for sitting in but not for take away. I got home too many times to find chips missing or rice missing or something and you won't bother going back down for them so its a nice way to make a few quid;)

Also with Tinas i find that if you put in an order for collection they only seem to put it in when you arrive. I've often ordered and then gone down 20 mins later to be left sitting for another 20 mins ( even in quiet times ).

BUT Tina's honey ribs are the best in town:)
    just paid a visit today to tinas at 4 o clock as we were on our way home from the hairdressers and it has to be the worse chinese meals we have ever received both me and my wife we used to go to tinas quite often but stopped because of the bad food but since its been a few years we thought we,d try it to see if anything had changed,we guess not as for the staff there was a large chinese lad on the front counter and to be fair i,ve never meet anyone as rude will i go back .....NEVER

Advertisement