Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology the "easy option"?

• 08-10-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Im studying for a psych degree thru distance learning, which is perfect as im abroad right now. I really like it, but its tough going. I just had 2 people tell me that in Canada (where i am now) psych is considered the "easy option". :mad:

I dont know...it really bothered me cos im here studying my arse off to get this degree and hopefully go on to do my phd (thats the plan anyways, i know its a long hard slog), and it just feels like its not respected at all over here.

Plus, it seems so hard to get work over here in an related area....i know people in Ireland with psych degrees and they got support worker or working with special needs people straight after they graduated. But here they look for 3 yrs experience and they require certain certificates. I thought id have more options over here, but it really does seem as if a psych degree means nothing.

Have you ever had people belittle your psych degree?

I suppose the added frustration is that im still trying to get my head around how things work here, and doing distance learning i have no real support of a Canadian uni to advise how things work here and what a psych degree is worth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Wow thats weird, psychology is not easy!!!! :mad:

I have no experience with the Canadian side of things but in Ireland it is getting harder for anyone to get a job out of college. In the time since i graduated 4 years ago its gone from needing 1 years experience to 3 years. As well as needing professional training like TCI or suicide intervention.

(Be interested in hearing what others have to say cause I am hoping to settle in Vancouver eventually:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

ash2008 wrote: »
    psych is considered the "easy option". :mad:

the easy option compared to what? Brain surgery? rocket science? a degree in recreational studies? :confused:

Advertisement