Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.87 mps download speed with Eircom NGB

• 08-10-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I recently signed up to Eircom NGB as there is no UPC in my area. I received the modem this morning and set it up and everything ran smoothly. However, I am only gettnig download speeds of .87 mps. Does anyone know of anyway I can improve this or if I may be doing something wrong. It is very slow and I got those figures from speedtest.net.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

are ya sure it was ngb ya signed up for, reps called to us the other day offering the 1mb bundle saying it would be upgraded to ngb soon, which i dont believe for one minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

thats a 1 meg connection you are on . It still could be NGB if you are far from the exchange that could be all you get. PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to check you line stats and sync rate. Log into the router to see this, http://192.168.1.254 should be the address. DSL sync rate should be visible on the main page, Go Advanced, and look for stats. Up and Down SNR and Attenuation are the important ones. Attenuation will determine the maximum speed you can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Same thing happened me.. I was on 7 or 8 MB package with Vodafone and Eircom salesdickhead said NGB will be in my area in a week or so.. I changed over to their 1MB package and was told that by the time I get switched over NGB will be active and I will automatically get 7 or 8 MB.. that was 28th August and I am still waiting.. so i contacted Eircom and they said it will possibly be December when NGB is rolled out in my area..

Best person to ask in eircom is eircomconnect on Twitter... the guys there seem to give straight answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Same thing happened me.. I was on 7 or 8 MB package with Vodafone and Eircom salesdickhead said NGB will be in my area in a week or so.. Was advised to change over to their 1MB package and was told that by the time I get switched over from Vodafone NGB will be active and I will automatically get 7 or 8 MB.. that was 28th August and I am still waiting.. so i contacted Eircom and they said it will possibly be December when NGB is rolled out in my area..

Best person to ask in eircom is eircomconnect on Twitter... the guys there seem to give straight answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

yep, you are all right. It hasn't been rolled out in my area yet. Dickhead that called around to the door never mentioned that it hadn't been rolled out in my area. Eircom lady in cancellations told me I would have it in the next couple of days. I told her that I would give it a week and then cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

please don't sign up for it, it's usage-based broadband, not speed-based like we are used to, this means, your 30 - 50GB cap on Eircom DSL was complete BS and couldn't be tracked, so you could use 500GB and not be overcharged, NGB is usage-based, so the minute you go over your limit, Eircom will charge you for it (€2 for every extra gig you use), NGB is a scam, uncongested? I call BS, if you live in a small town or a rural area, chances are, you were not getting congestion anyway, stick with DSL and remember, we are all Eircoms b!tch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

€2 Gigabyte is cheap compared to Mobile Excess Cap that varies from €80 to €820 per Gigabyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

stick with DSL

There is no actual choice. They are migrating all exchanges and accounts eventually. Both are DSL. Just new backhaul at exchanges and different charging model.

just looking for another piece of advice.

OK the guy who called to the door did not make it clear to me that NGB was not in the area yet but I have been told that it will be here within the next couple of days by the cancellations department. He also never told me that there was a 10 gig cap on it. Now I know I should have checked this stuff myself and the moral of the story is never sign up to anything with a door to door sales man. I just feel a little sorry for them at the moment.

Between the jigs and the reels, I would like to upgrade to the NGB with 30gb allowance but when I put this to eircom I got a very abrupt response explaining that the 12 month contract is now in place with 6 months promotion and if I upgrade, I will lose the promotion.

I explained that I have a 12 month NGB contract and NO NGB. I only have the modem since this morning. Could anyone advise on the best way to approach this? Or am I now at the mercy of eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

check ur order form, i bet the box for ngb isnt ticked

guil wrote: »
    check ur order form, i bet the box for ngb isnt ticked

I tell you actually what isn't ticked, that it was an NGB presell

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

watty wrote: »
    There is no actual choice. They are migrating all exchanges and accounts eventually. Both are DSL. Just new backhaul at exchanges and different charging model.

I know they are both DSL, but I said speed-based earlier in the post, so I think people got what I was on about, maybe Vodafone will be decent by the time they switch over to NGB and we can all move over there.

Advertisement