Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New line install for BB: Forced with eircom for 6 months?

• 08-10-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get broadband in a new apartment and I've two questions.

I was told on the phone by eircom that if it's a new line install, then you need to sign a contract with eircom for 6 months, and you can't move to another BB provider until after that. Is this true? Trying to find some mention of it on the website. (Also, they seem to have gotten rid of the €121 install charge?)

As it turns out, eircom told me that I don't need a new line install, and that my phone line had already been activated (last September), so I went to Vodafone and got home phone, broadband set up with them. The problem was that I never had a dial tone, even after Vodafone told me everything is activated and sent out my modem. I unscrewed the eircom socket on the wall and found there was no phone line at all behind the socket. I also checked with the only previous tenant of the apartment (it's only 2 years old) and he confirmed he never got a phone line installed. He contacted eircom for information last September alright, but nothing more.

So I'm wondering now should I go to eircom for a new line install (which it seems I definately need), and be forced to a 6month contract with them (although I've already agreed to a 12 month contract with Vodafone).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

If you ordered the home broadband through vodafone they can get the line order put through by eircom and you wont need to go near that shower at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This was discussed here some time ago. Go to the isp you want your bb with to order the new line. They then order it through Eircom wholesale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Has anyone here gotten a phoneline installed through Vodafone?

I've emailed them, rang them and sent their support rep on boards a PM, but I still haven't been contacted by anyone to install a phone line.

Going on over a month now. Do I still have to pay the €48 charge for this months service even though I don't have a phone line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 donegalnordie

as far as i'm aware, vodafone wont connect the line for you. I have UTV NGB BB and i paid them 49.99 one off connection charge and they dealt with eircom.

Advertisement