Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember Julian Dalby...?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

See he also won the International Tour de Toona the same year riding with Toga Club!. Some famous past winners of this race scroll down and see 2002 and 2003. Pate and Danielson both ride with Dan Martin on Garmin-Transitions Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 edge500

Yeah , thats a young Kevin Kimmage alright.

Lots of top road men back then . No so many now , be great to put names to the faces. I know some but others will know most of them.
    Dalby was motoring that day , looking flash as always with his Oakley Razors and trendy hairstyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

sy wrote: »
    Watch above linked video on YouTube at 13.06. Good shot of a very young (everybody looks young!) Kevin Kimmage? at 6.35 who went on to win the Ras the following year. Anybody confirm

Was it Kevin or Raphael ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 super70

Julian and John visit Romanos in Capel Street on a regular basis.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kevvhayes

great video. brings back good memories of racing back in the 80's at underage. jaysus im old :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sticky Bottle has a "where are they now" type interview with him today, which makes this worthy of a bump.

He's now a doctor, 20kg heavier and into mixed martial arts.

JulianDalby1-602x399.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Holy jebus. HULKMANIA. Can't see Michael Rasmussen morphing into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Quote, "My buddy and I wound up on an RTE television reality show and won ourselves a e250,000 apartment in Portugal." WTF!!!

When were RTE giving away apartments in Portugal? Don't remember that reality show!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

I really like Cillian and get on with him very well, but that report is very disjointed and a little misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Junior wrote: »
    .... report is ........ and a little misleading.
    Care to expand on this Junior

By the way I think it is Kevin Kimmage in that clip on Youtube but then again all the Kimmages look(ed) very similar on the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Junior wrote: »
    I really like Cillian and get on with him very well, but that report is very disjointed and a little misleading.

Who's Cillian junior? Getting your sites mixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Who's Cillian junior? Getting your sites mixed up?

Cillian Kelly wrote the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

Just seen this. A bit of a blast from the past for me. I remember calling over to his House one Day to get a pair of shoes off him and all the Snakes and Spiders and mad **** ,in his Basement Bedroom . Some great characters back then. Anyone remember the time Kevin Kimmage had a row with the Comissaire Before the start of the Ballymun stage in the Tour of Fingal(cant remember which year). He got disqualified before the start but still got into the Race and went out and won the stage on his own out of pure stubborness.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭irishpeloton

He's a very interesting guy. A 1000 word article doesn't even half do him justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

To me it was the Golden age of Irish Cycling. It was great to be a part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭irishpeloton

He's a very interesting guy. A 1000 word article doesn't even half do him justice.

Not that a 2000 word article would have done him justice either. You know what I mean! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Now if there was a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Sorry to drag up old threads.

I was ust googling "dublin 1990s" in google images and saw a pic of a guy punching a punchbag that I thought I recognised.

clicked on the link and said Julian dalby. Was more interested as the guy I thought he looked like was jules

Turns out it was him!! known him over 10-12 years from the 2 gyms we both train at. Very very intelligent, polite , friendly decent guy

Never knew anything about his past. He trains hard in the gym always a little puzzled with his programmes but they seem to work -good shape

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

He is a doctor that does locum work in various ED's around the Eastern region. I don't believe he worked as a surgeon or has been a consultant. Calm relaxed articulate are words to describe him. Scary powerful and a winner would have described him as a racer.

He was such a talent on the bike and still cycles to work but not for racing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Patched me up a few weeks back. Lovely chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

bcmf wrote: »
    When I was racing back then he was top of the pile (whereas I was bottom).

Things haven't changed much so since then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's got a pretty big physique compared to his cycling days.
    Conor-McGregor-Julian-Dalby.jpg

CH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

he was on Off the Ball a few weeks ago - strange outlook on a few items discussed - he wouldn't judge dopers as likened it to condemning drinkers when he himself doesn't drink

me thinks he took one too many bangs to the head without the helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Thud

he went into powerlifting after cycling so not really going to look like a cyclist after that

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/former-national-road-champ-julian-dalby-takes-weightlifting-world-record/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

One post deleted. Please don't make unsubstantiated allegations about people. Aside from it being unfair to the people concerned, it could land you (and Boards) into legal trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Dalby, gas man.

In the Ras one year, on the last stage neutralised from Naas into Dun Laoghaire (think it was 92) he comes up the outside of the bunch on a motorbike! Literally, wearing his cycling shoes and a motor bike helmet!

He used to wear some sort of other helmet with fur on it.

Remember in the Ras a lad who won a stage got dsq for tailgating, next day everyone staged a sit down protest except Julian, he got on his bike and started the stage. Reckoned it was ok to break the rules but if you were caught take your punishment (I think that's how he explained it).

Got 5th in a Pro Crit around Stephens Green and was disappointed, I think Roche won it (or was it Dave Rayner).

Always had a different way of looking at things, but fair play to him, he would talk to you even though you were a fred, unlike other stars of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Thud wrote: »
    he went into powerlifting after cycling so not really going to look like a cyclist after that

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/former-national-road-champ-julian-dalby-takes-weightlifting-world-record/

I know, it's not every often you see someone going from the extreme of being a skinny cyclist to a big hulk like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Doc07

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I know, it's not every often you see someone going from the extreme of being a skinny cyclist to a big hulk like that.

I crossed paths with Julian only briefly in a work capacity ages ago but also when I went to the same gym a couple of years back. I only knew of him as a power lifter/bodybuilder/MMA guy then and knew nothing of his cycling past as I only got back into following cycling 2-3 years ago. He's certainly a colourful character but I would also like to say that he came across as a genuinely modest guy. We discussed sports including cycling and he barely mentioned any of his many cycling accomplishments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Knew Jule's when he was cycling, remember him turning up to stage 2 of the "Tour of Fingal" with a helmet made from a coconut as he's got told of by Paddy O'Sullivan (R.I.P.) the day before for not wearing a "hardshell helmet". Colourful character and sound geezer,"Le Enfant Terrible" :) .

Advertisement