Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember Julian Dalby...?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

shnoop wrote: »
    well that didn't quite work, try this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pxyx9Q7ZM

What part of the country was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

feargale wrote: »
    What part of the country was that?
    Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

He's on Newstalk sport today talking about MMA. Seems he broke his leg "flipping a car"...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Dont think I ever met Julian though I heard a lot about him. However I raced motorbikes in England in the same club (Bemsee) as his brother Peter. Julian was a rank conservative by comparison with Peter who was real character and a great racer. In the early eighties peter won the Bemsee championship (equivalent of the UK Clubmans Championship) much to the chagrin of the organisers who considered Irish as undesirable and Peter as being an even worse nusiance. Part of his prize was a place in the UK Team in the Transatlantic Match race series against a team of US pro riders the next Easter. This was a pro series full of GP riders with Peter as a guest rider for the UK team. Peter was even more cracked than Julian and no one would sponsor him so he rode his own dog slow bike in the first race and rode the wheels off it. Rumour had it that the yanks were so impressed that they organised a better bike for him. He later got some sort of sponsorship from a Welsh manufacturer and the rest is history. I met him some years later and he had become a Christian Scientist ....because they promised to sponsor him!
    A great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

This is John Blackwell (Kerry) on one of those Alsop bikes on the Rás (talking to Jason Meredith). The bikes were popular for a while but were then blamed for some bad crashes.

496148.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

Fascinating character, was in the same year at school and even then he was a bit different but not in a bad way, remember he said he slept on the floor as it helped his physical development for cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

He features a lot in the McGregor documentary on Netflix and he comes across as a right strange fish. A weirdo.

Looking through this thread apparently he used have a swastika on his helmet and fed live cats to his python? (And he ended up frying the python)

Looks like he was made redundant by the HSE and launched a court case as well:

https://ie.vlex.com/vid/dalby-v-health-service-792982933

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

Not surprised to see him involved with McGregor, his best buddy in school in the same class was a guy called Linus Murphy who I think won the the Irish Junior Road Race in the 80's.

Advertisement