Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP 64bit driver for Ati Radeon Xpress 1150?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

hi guys,

Does this laptop require a 64 bit os? if so is there such a driver out there for the graphics card?

i have a Dell:
    Inspiron 1501 Turion 64 X2 TL50 (1.6GHz, 256K)
    15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display: 1280x800 1
    Memory Upgrade from 512MB to 1024MB 1
    1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x512) 1
    80GB (5,400 rpm) Hard Drive 1
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory 1
    European - Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card

i had to reinstall my os and couldnt find my cds, dont remember was xp 32 or 64 oringonaly installed on it.
    found a copy of xp 32 bit, installed it, laptop was operating ok, then i installed a copy of xp 64 bit(on the same partition, formating then installing it), all ok so far except i cannot find the driver for the graphics card.

i tried to install the driver for the card from dell http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=INS_PNT_1501

but it says during installition "no driver found"
    i assume this driver is for xp32 bit only.

all comments welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Does this laptop require a 64 bit os?
    No but it does support a 64bit OS

To be honest you're going to run into more problems than it's worth with XP x64.
    If I were you I'd go back to XP x86 or Vista/7 x64.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Jus poking around the ATI drivers site and none of their their notebook graphic card drivers seem to support 64 bit XP, it only seems to be an option for desktop graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

"SickBoy 13:12 Today
    Originally Posted by :
    Does this laptop require a 64 bit os?
    No but it does support a 64bit OS

To be honest you're going to run into more problems than it's worth with XP x64.
    If I were you I'd go back to XP x86 or Vista/7 x64."

Cheers might switch back so.

"Jus poking around the ATI drivers site and none of their their notebook graphic card drivers seem to support 64 bit XP, it only seems to be an option for desktop graphics cards."

Cool. The only reason I thought xp64 was the original is was that the chip is 64bit.

XP x86 here I come

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

64bit os was made to handle more than 3,25GB RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Fresz19 wrote: »
    64bit os was made to handle more than 3,25GB RAM
    yep, among other things, and 64bit XP has the worst driver availability of any of the OS's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is exactly why I downloaded(from MSDNAA) a 32 bit and a 64bit copy of 7Pro. With older notebooks avoid 64, not worth the hassle.

My vostro is practically the exact same spec BTW.

Advertisement