Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed from bicycle experts

• 08-10-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

My son's bike has had problems with the back brake. I'm looking for advice as to whether it is repairable.

When the brake is pulled, the piece that grabs the wheel doesn't squeeze tight enough to stop the wheel.

I took it to a bike repair shop. There was also a problem with the saddle so I left it in to be repaired. It didn't work so I brought it back. The guy couldn't figure out what do do with it except charge me more money to change the brake pads. and as this was unlikely to work I left the shop with the bike.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

IMO the back brake on a bike is of little or no use as your weight is over the front wheel when you brake. Even a light squeeze on the back brake locks up the back wheel.
    It is unusual the bike shop couldnt fix it though.
    However, clean the wheel rim of any oil or mud.
    The quality of brake pad/block is very important.
    Check and oil all moving parts and ensure the cable is not loose, frayed or worn causing it to stretch.
    If the brake lever comes close to the handlebar when actuated the cable is probably too loose. There is usually and adjustment thumb screw at the brake lever or at the brake caliper to tighten it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Take a few minutes to examine the brake, pull on the lever and see how it works.

It would be impossible to say what kind of brakes the child's bike has at the moment. Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake_systems

If it's a full-size or junior size mountain bike, he very likely has V-Brakes or Cantilevers.

If it's a bike for a very young child, it's probably just a cheap caliper brake.

In all cases, they operate on the same principle: The brake is attached to the brake lever by a wire cable. When you pull on the lever, this pulls in cable, and the brake then pulls the two brake pads together.

Very simply, the brake pads should both grip the rim (the steel part of the wheel - not the tyre!) at the same time and when the brake lever is pulled somewhere between 25% and 75% of it's maximum.

Don't expect the back brake to stop the bike when it's moving. When the bike is moving, pulling on the back brake should slow it, and really jamming on the back brake should cause the wheel to lock and skid.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 decoratinghouse

seamus wrote: »
    In all cases, they operate on the same principle: The brake is attached to the brake lever by a wire cable. When you pull on the lever, this pulls in cable, and the brake then pulls the two brake pads together.

Very simply, the brake pads should both grip the rim (the steel part of the wheel - not the tyre!) at the same time and when the brake lever is pulled somewhere between 25% and 75% of it's maximum.

Don't expect the back brake to stop the bike when it's moving. When the bike is moving, pulling on the back brake should slow it, and really jamming on the back brake should cause the wheel to lock and skid.

When the brake lever is pulled 100% it doesn't do anything to slow the wheel.

The guy in the shop said it should be fine as you really only need the front brake. It's years since I have ridden a bike but I remember pulling both levers. Wouldn't you go over the handlebars if you only had front brakes?

I told him I couldn't let a 10 year old boy out on a bike with only front brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I told him I couldn't let a 10 year old boy out on a bike with only front brakes.

I'm surprised a fella in a bike shop can't fix brakes. Unless its an ultra cheap bike (or BSO) and the components are not be easily fixable.

Try another bike shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Go to a decent bike shop. That one you went to is rubbish,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can you take a pic of the brakes and post them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

-Chris- wrote: »
    Can you take a pic of the brakes and post them here?

Good plan Chris.

It could be a multitude of things, but you'll probably be able to tackle most of them yourself if you've a few basic tools, & if your 10 YO is interested they could probably do it themselves, or at least help ;)

One possibility is that the brake cable is ancient & corroded & the force required to overcome just this friction, means you get zero force from the pad to the rim when you brake. Its a doddle to fix with just a new brake cable & a little tweaking.

Advertisement