Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Really annoying Xbox Live connection issue

• 08-10-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My brother has moved home from London yesterday and he seems to have brought a connection problem with him. Im connected to an eircom wireless netopia router via ethernet, and prior to him being home had no problems at all. He uses his laptop wirelessly, and it seems to be stopping me from playing on Live. I ran the tests on the Xbox, and its giving me some serious bull**** solutions, telling me everything is connected but it fails on 'Xbox Live' and tells me to turn my router off and back on again, obviously I have done that but it didnt help.

I tried assigning a static IP to the xbox but that didnt work.

I have had the Xbox Live ports open the whole time so its not that.

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

are u trying to play while he is on the laptop by any chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

naughto wrote: »
    are u trying to play while he is on the laptop by any chance

Probably yes.

But I also often used to play while on my own laptop with no problems.

is it just lag u are geting ??if u are playing upstairs and hes downstairs on his laptop,streaming music torrents what ever this is going to effect you game

is it just lag u are geting ??if u are playing upstairs and hes downstairs on his laptop,streaming music torrents what ever this is going to effect you game

No its not lag. I cant connect to Xbox Live. I ran the test and it said ' Network: Connected, Internet: Connected, Xbox Live: Failed ' Clicked on more info and it suggested I restart the connection, didnt work, made a static IP and opened ports, didnt work. Keep in mind I was connecting fine yesterday.

have u tried to connect straight in to the router??

• Advertisement

have u tried to connect straight in to the router??

I am connected via ethernet cable, straight to the router, as I said in the first post.

the cable could be damaged it happened to me before when i used to connect that way.iam out of ideas if its not that,id have to see all you settings and the way its connected to be of more of a help sorry

Right, think I sorted this one out.

I set up a static IP address again and got a new error message saying I can connect to Live but my connection is limited due to my NAT, So i checked my ports and they were open for xbox live, but then I checked my router firewall and it was on medium, I noticed that changing it to Low said it allowed default Nat or something so I put it on low and connected with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

i am having similar issues i just got my halo reach xbox today and i cant seem to connect to internet.. i have a belkin n+ wireless router and the xbox does have wireless n support.. if someone could help that would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mikey, can you clear up a few things.

If you remove your brothers laptop out of the scenario now does xbl work ok?

On the netopia the xbox live ports should be opened to a specfic address.

Did his laptop take that specific address with the DHCP lease?

When you said you tried with a static address, was this address free on the network? e.g. another device didn't have a dhcp lease for the same address?

did you re-open the xbox live ports to that static address?

Can you actually sign into xbl or is it you can sign but with strict NAT? or?

• Advertisement

sorry missed your post saying it was fixed :pac:

Ok im having problems again, for a totally unrelated reason but I didnt want to make a new thread.

Last night my Netopia router died, today I bought a Belkin N Wireless router. Ive set it up and am (obviously) having no problems connecting to the internet. Ive hooked it up via ethernet to my xbox and its not connecting. I tried my wireless adapter for the xbox and got on Xbox Live no problems and had a lovely game of Halo, no problems. But why wont the ethernet connect? Its saying something along the lines of problems with DCHP or Mac Filtering on my router, but DCHP is enabled and open, and Mac Filtering is disabled so that cant be it, any suggestions?

I know I can play on wireless but I prefer a wired connection as imo its more stable, any advice welcome.

Is there a limit on the DHCP scope?

e.g. only gives out x amount of address?

Is there a log to see what address's have been assigned to what MAC address's? if so can you poing the ip the MAC of the ethernet on the xbox is assigned to?

If you plug your laptop into the router via a wired connection can you get an ip assigned via DHCP?

I don't know that particular router's gui so I can't guide you to anything specific :(

there is a limit on the DHCP scope, its 192.168.2.100

the laptop is connecting fine via ethernet.

umm, odd

if you manually assign the addressing the xbox ethernet card does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

Everytime you reset (NOT restart) your router, your router settings will be set back to its defaults. From my own experience, you need to have the firewall settings saved to 'low'. Set it to 'low' and don't forget to press 'save' at the bottom of the page. It will let you connect to live.

You can forward ports in a section (I think it's called "Custom Services"?), and in the drop-down list, you can select the 'Xbox live games' option and assign it to an IP. If you don't know which IP it is, you could plug every other connection out of the router and the remaining IP is the Xbox. I only found this out recently and my live was working fine before it anyway.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

Some router's don't support xbox live so you might have to go back to the netopia one. Seen a thread last night about people reverting back to the netopia router because the one they had didn't support xbox live. I'll be back online later and I'll see if I can find the list of what router's do.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Some router's don't support xbox live so you might have to go back to the netopia one. Seen a thread last night about people reverting back to the netopia router because the one they had didn't support xbox live. I'll be back online later and I'll see if I can find the list of what router's do.

Hope you get it sorted :)

I thought that aswell myself but I checked the Xbox site and it says it is supported.

Ntlbell I tried a static IP but I just keep getting "Cannot manually assign an IP, do you want to try automatic?" so I try auto and it says "Cannot find IP address."

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I thought that aswell myself but I checked the Xbox site and it says it is supported.

Ntlbell I tried a static IP but I just keep getting "Cannot manually assign an IP, do you want to try automatic?" so I try auto and it says "Cannot find IP address."

I'm going to say something to annoy you now lol

Have you tried upgrading to the latest firmware on the router?

It sounds bizzare.

I havent, but I bought the router yesterday, would it not have the latest firmware on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

I havent, but I bought the router yesterday, would it not have the latest firmware on it?

Although it should,give it a try anyways,can't hurt :)

generally they wouldn't

Normally routers sit around in warehouses, then to distrubutors then to shops, it could be on a shelf for months.

give it a lash

Advertisement