Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death of Maurice Neligan

• 08-10-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

The death has been announced of former cardiac surgeon, patient health services campaigner and newspaper columnist Mr. Maurice Neligan. He was 73. A great man.

Link here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

RIP

He helped keep my da alive for the last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

heard him on the radio yesterday, speaking common sense to the very end. if only he was listened to.
    ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Very sad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Very sorry to hear that. My heart went out to him and his family in 2007 when his daughter was murdered. It seemed a strange irony to me that he spent his life saving lives yet his daughter's life was cut short in a brutal way. I often read his articles and listened to him being interviewed - he was a man of deep faith and believed he would be reunited with his daughter some day. Today I hope he is. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

RIP

No more to add to what has been said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A very humble and intelligent man. A big loss to the country.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'll always remember him for how he corrected that "Who wants to be a millionaire" question - Lunula...

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Extremely sorry to hear this news.

He really was one of the good guys. If only we had more people like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I can't believe it. He was a very good man.

He is now re-united with his daughter Sara.

My condolances to his family. May he RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He was interviewed very recently on radio. Sorry to hear of his passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 astaines

He was a lot of fun, a phenomenal surgeon, and not a bad writer. He will be sorely missed. My sympathy to his family. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As was said he was really one of the good guys. A humble and compassionate man, whose accomplishments, as well as learning, always lightly worn, were considerable!

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

He worked on me when I was a child. It's amazing how many lives he touched. You'd probably find just about anyone you know that either knew him or saw him. A great man. Doesn't help that our health service is being sold off down sh*t creek. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

He was one of the very few medical writers I respected and enjoyed reading. Sad news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

tricky D wrote: »
    RIP

He helped keep my da alive for the last 20 years.

He trained the guy who helped keep my da alive for the last 20 years.

RIP to the man, he was a great surgeon and a good man.

Wasn't the on Newstalk yesterday or the day before?

Anyway RIP to an amazing man. A man that quite literally spent all his adult days, working for the welfare of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very sorry to hear this. he was so dignified after the horrific death of his daughter, that episode obviously took a lot out of him.R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Twinkers

He was a great man indeed. He carried out my late father's heart transplant in 1985 and gave us over 13 more years together. The warmth and compassion he showed us over the years was something that I will always hold dear. Very saddened today when I heard the news. Sincere condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Have never heard of this man, apart from the loss of his daughter, but by the sounds of it he was a lovely fella without the oft seen detachment from surgeons

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

RIP a great man who helped countless others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He performed a heart transplant on my dad, gave him 25 more years.

A great man.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

salonfire wrote: »
    Wasn't the on Newstalk yesterday or the day before?

Anyway RIP to an amazing man. A man that quite literally spent all his adult days, working for the welfare of others.

just yesterday. he was slating the decision to build the new children's hospital on the mater site, and rightly so. he worked there, and was probably the most eminent person to voice against it in preference to a greenfields site off the m50, with easy access to most of the country. but it had to be built in bertie's constituency. he saw through it from the start. hopefully there will be someone to pick up his ball and run with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Obviously a very gifted surgeon and always came across as an extremely intelligent, self-aware man; passionate and forthright in his opinions but no egoist.
    Wrote some excellent articles in recent times.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm so sorry to hear this - one of the few doctors to have a weekly column in the Irish Times where he gave out about present Harney developments in the downgrading and privatisation of the HSE. Who can replace him?

And he was humble enough to say when he got things wrong.

My sympathies with his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Operated on me too. That said, any other heart surgeon could've done the job just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

He operated on my grandad twice and saved his life.. Gave me a few more precious years to spend with him..

Condolences to the family, RIP

Advertisement