Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

search and rescue helicopter

• 08-10-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Saw it flying over the river this morning, anyone know what happened? There was also fire brigades and ambulances drivin around..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

yea, i saw it flying fairly low over john street was wondering what it was about too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Looking for Mexicans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Training exercise or possibly someone in the river? I'm going with the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

There was someone pulled out of the river.

danjo-xx wrote: »

Twice in a week. Jaysus, is there any official statistics on this problem in Waterford? It just seems to be shoved aside and covered up everytime, understandably as it is a delicate subject but its a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Do you work for the search and rescue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Jesus this is happening shockingly often now. I was there on the plaza about a month ago when they pulled someone out. Turned out I knew him briefly from underage football.

This has been happening a long time,i know of many people who done it,look at poor Paddy Lucas nothing ever said about him was there ,RIP.

This has been happening a long time,i know of many people who done it,look at poor Paddy Lucas nothing ever said about him was there ,RIP.

I dont mean to be nosey or anything but do you mind if you tell about him?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I dont mean to be nosey or anything but do you mind if you tell about him?

Paddy was a true Waterford man,done a lot for the football in the parish,i dont think it would be right of me to be discussing it here about the man,but he was an honest decent auld sort who worked hard and loved his St Paul's like nobody else,but as times are hard and it is difficult for everybody we all choose a path to go down and unfortunately Paddy choose to go down a path we wouldn't choose,but at least he is at peace with himself.

• Advertisement

Paddy was a true Waterford man,done a lot for the football in the parish,i dont think it would be right of me to be discussing it here about the man,but he was an honest decent auld sort who worked hard and loved his St Paul's like nobody else,but as times are hard and it is difficult for everybody we all choose a path to go down and unfortunately Paddy choose to go down a path we wouldn't choose,but at least he is at peace with himself.

Ah Im sorry for asking that question. I tried to delete it a second ago but you already replied. It was innapropriate of me to ask.

Im sorry for your loss and hope he will rest in peace.

Ah Im sorry for asking that question. I tried to delete it a second ago but you already replied. It was innapropriate of me to ask.

Im sorry for your loss and hope he will rest in peace.

No need to be sorry to me,Paddy was just someone i knew,not really a friend but always said hello to me,and unfortunately he is just a statistic in what is happening along our quays.

Its very unfortunate. And its happening alot. I wonder what (if any) plans there is to prevent this problem. I haven't been in the city in a good few weeks but is there anything on the bridge like phone numbers to call for people in time of desperation? If I recall there isn't. Maybe the Gardai should put some cctv there too.
    I also wonder what plans are in place for the fire brigade and gardai etc when something like this happens. Unfortunately they cant respond quick enough, I suppose the best asset is the boat and helicopter but how long does it take for them to get up and out.

Unfortunately if you want to jump into the quay there is nothing stopping you,if you have it in your mind to do it nothing will stop you,there is cctv at the start of the bridge and there is another camera in the middle of the train station roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm open to correction on this (and hopefully my information is wrong) but I don't think the CCTV cameras are monitored, they just use the recorded footage as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

Its very unfortunate. And its happening alot. I wonder what (if any) plans there is to prevent this problem. I haven't been in the city in a good few weeks but is there anything on the bridge like phone numbers to call for people in time of desperation? If I recall there isn't. Maybe the Gardai should put some cctv there too.
    I also wonder what plans are in place for the fire brigade and gardai etc when something like this happens. Unfortunately they cant respond quick enough, I suppose the best asset is the boat and helicopter but how long does it take for them to get up and out.

the fire brigade are the primary river rescue service in the city and it provides two rescue boats 25/7 and are both manned by full-time professional fire and rescue personnel and are on the water in approx 4 minutes from gettin a call..and rescue 117 is also scrambled at the same time as the brigade get the call resulting in a very efficent and successful rescue service..the stats for river rescues/incidents within the city are high but 99% of call outs result in a successful rescue..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

No need to be sorry to me,Paddy was just someone i knew,not really a friend but always said hello to me,and unfortunately he is just a statistic in what is happening along our quays.

Ye that was a bad situation that family have gone threw alot and now with paddy too , the quay is and has bein known as the place to go if you are thinking of bad things , unfortunately , i dont know any thing can be done really as if someone is going to jump they will find ways , if im right in this case it was a case of just jumping out of van on bridge , totally surprising and unstoppable really if the thoughts are in someones head. :(

I know the red cross moved into the ground floor of the building at corner of lombard st and the mall in order to be closer for river rescues.

Its sad to say but with the forth coming dreaded budget I feel we ain't seen nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There were 4 uniformed security lads 'patrolling' the bridge tonight as I was passing over at midnight. They were still there on the way back about 30 mins later. One of them was coiling the rope on one of the life buoys and replacing it in it's housing the second time I passed them. A couple of them had radios.

Anyone know what the craic was with these lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

I know the red cross moved into the ground floor of the building at corner of lombard st and the mall in order to be closer for river rescues.

Its sad to say but with the forth coming dreaded budget I feel we ain't seen nothing yet.

i dont know where you got your info....but you are are all wrong the red cross are not a primary emergency service and have nothing to do with river rescues and have never seen them involved in any river incident ..... there are only 4 fully qualified services in waterford city capable and responsible of dealing with any emergency on the river and they are the GARDAI,the FIRE SERVICE, the HEALTH BOARD PARADEMICS and RESCUE 117....nobody else but those mentioned are responsible and capable of a first class emergency and rescue service....and it is a proven service provided by all 4 along with the help of the voluntary river rescue services available also... the lads on the river bank are members of waterford marine search and rescue and are volunteer members and are not a frontline emergency service and are not there 24/7 but they do a good service...unfortunatlyt the river does claim lives and while it is sad it is not only a problem in waterford but a nation wide problem and very sad indeed...we do our best to rescue those involved and get them the help they need...just to add the red cros do an excellent service in training and providing a voluntary emt/parademic service for events in waterford city and county and i dip my hat to all their members..fair play

• Advertisement

i dont know where you got your info....but you are are all wrong the red cross are not a primary emergency service and have nothing to do with river rescues and have never seen them involved in any river incident ..... there are only 4 fully qualified services in waterford city capable and responsible of dealing with any emergency on the river and they are the GARDAI,the FIRE SERVICE, the HEALTH BOARD PARADEMICS and RESCUE 117....nobody else but those mentioned are responsible and capable of a first class emergency and rescue service....and it is a proven service provided by all 4 along with the help of the voluntary river rescue services available also... the lads on the river bank are members of waterford marine search and rescue and are volunteer members and are not a frontline emergency service and are not there 24/7 but they do a good service...unfortunatlyt the river does claim lives and while it is sad it is not only a problem in waterford but a nation wide problem and very sad indeed...we do our best to rescue those involved and get them the help they need...just to add the red cros do an excellent service in training and providing a voluntary emt/parademic service for events in waterford city and county and i dip my hat to all their members..fair play

My source was not the best but lesson learned. I did think it a bit strange myself that the Red Cross would be involved in this.

Perhaps they moved near the river to be in a better position to provide cover during events held along the quayside or on the river. Or maybe my **friend** just got it all assways. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

they moved to that building casue they got it for free off the council no other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The helicopter was hovering over the Maypark area for a time this morning (11:15ish). Anyone know why...or is that an obvious question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

also saw it hovering over the old tramore road area at quarter to two today, dont know what thats about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

the fire brigade are the primary river rescue service in the city and it provides two rescue boats 25/7...

I knew they provided an excellent service, but I didn't know they were able to bend time. Now that's impressive! :D

They train pretty much everyday flying around and you will often see them hovering over places, most of the time its nothing but training.

Advertisement