Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay pigeon shooting maximum number of cartridges FCA1

Options
  • 08-10-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey

I am applying for my shotgun having got my .22.

Question:-

What is the normal amount of cartridges to out down on the FCA1 form for clay pigeon shooting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

defib wrote: »
    Hey

What is the normal amount of cartridges to out down on the FCA1 form for clay pigeon shooting.

What ever you normally use ;)

If you shoot clays I would put 500 min down, or even a 1000.

Most guys shooting clays buy cartridges in 1000 as it is the most economic way

I'd always apply for the max, that way you have more purchasing power with RFD's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

defib wrote: »
    Hey

Put in for 1,000 you might get it, or they might give you 500, if you put in 500 they might give you 200, put in for plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I applied for 1000 - they gave me 100

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    I applied for 1000 - they gave me 100

B'Man

I applied for 500 they gave me 200

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

The firearms officer told me I only needed 400.
    Lets see what happens when I get the license back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I applied for 1000 got 100 I then asked for more and got 250 and I won't get more than that :rolleyes:

I applied for 500 for game and 500 for clays and got 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I applied for 650 and got 650.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Applied for 1000 and got 1000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Given 500,argued the toss and got 1000.:DAfter having my ammo locker inspected.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Figure out how many you think you'll go through realistically and outline the reasoning on your application (separate sheet), then apply for more than that number as they'll try to reduce you if possible. Easier to bargain down than up.

johngalway wrote: »
    Figure out how many you think you'll go through realistically and outline the reasoning on your application (separate sheet), then apply for more than that number as they'll try to reduce you if possible. Easier to bargain down than up.

250 Alphamax for duck, 250 no 7 for pheasant, 250BB for foxes, and 250 for clays

Or something like that.
    you can alter the amounts to suit your individual needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 burke08

i applied for 400 and got 500.:eek::eek:

couldnt believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

applied for 5000...... got 2500.... :):):) lots of buying power :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I think the guidelines recommend 750 for clays. That's what I put down and thats what I got. It will depend very much on your local FO. 750 is a stupid number, most buy slabs of 1000. Give that a try.

I think the guidelines recommend 750 for clays. That's what I put down and thats what I got. It will depend very much on your local FO. 750 is a stupid number, most buy slabs of 1000. Give that a try.

750 for clays and 250 for game = happy number 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

750 for clays and 250 for game = happy number 1000

yep thats what I got 750 on the clay gun and 250 on the game gun. Went and told him waht I needed and why, the only thing I will say is remember you also need somewhere to store these securely so be mindful of that. (its a topic that has been done to death here regarding ammo safes)
    I also found it useful to show the FO what a carton looks like, then its "4 boxes" not 1000 rounds. In fairness our FO is very fair and firm, we meet him twice a year as per the guidelines and thats where as a club we ploughed the furrow on cartridge limits. One guy however decided he was applying for 2500, he got 250:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

OK, so I have 3 shotguns, each one licensed for 750 rounds. Does that mean I can buy 2,250 rounds at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

OK, so I have 3 shotguns, each one licensed for 750 rounds. Does that mean I can buy 2,250 rounds at once?

If you have the space and money and the security........however there is a debate out there that its not per gun its the maximum amount, i.e "in your possession at anyone time" anyway my FO says its aggregate in relation to the amt of guns 750+250= 1000. We arent arguing:) were happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I probably do';t shoot a lot compared to some - this year has been a bit quieter than the previous few.

I'd days I shoot on average 100 clays a week (used to be more like 200-300 a week - then the war department grew!!)

Unless I happen to be on a range which can sell me ammo I can only shoot a maximum of 100 at a time.

I had a letter attached to the form outlining how much I shoot and why I need them. Didn't make any difference.

Have some other licenses in the pipe at the moment so waiting until they are completed before I go back looking for alterations.

I will want multiples of 250 at any rate. Not too often - but I have been known to fire off a carton in one go on occasion and would like to do so again.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Ok, went down to local station today with 500 on the form. FO said that was to much and would not be approved by super. He changed it to 300.

Will let you know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

From the Commissioner's guidelines:
    The type or category of shooting being conducted by the applicant will be a key consideration when an issuing person is determining the amounts of ammunition to be specified in the firearm certificate. The following ratio of ammunition to purpose could be considered average:

•Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.

•Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.

•Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.

•Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

civdef wrote: »
    From the Commissioner's guidelines:

I know, I know... but what can you do.....

3 weeks in and no letter to say my application has even been received.

I phoned the station and was speaking to FO, he said he only handed over a few days ago. Super is in the same station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Applied for 500, got 400.

I have a gunsafe and ammo safe even though I don't have to have them for a shotgun. Think I'll keep it on the wall over the fireplace.

Same credit you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

hi
    got my shotgun licence a few months ago applied for hunting ad clay shooting and asked for 1000 rounds. got 1000 rounds no questions asked.
    dont have an ammo safe either as wasn't asked to get one. i just have them stored in steel ammo boxes (ex military ).

sorry for this slight off topic but what is the average ammo ask on .22 rifle??
    im in the process of gettin my licence for it but dt know how much ammo to ask for i want it for vermin and target shooting?

many thanks james

james4510 wrote: »
    hi
    got my shotgun licence a few months ago applied for hunting ad clay shooting and asked for 1000 rounds. got 1000 rounds no questions asked.
    dont have an ammo safe either as wasn't asked to get one. i just have them stored in steel ammo boxes (ex military ).

sorry for this slight off topic but what is the average ammo ask on .22 rifle??
    im in the process of gettin my licence for it but dt know how much ammo to ask for i want it for vermin and target shooting?

many thanks james
    Shhhhhhhhhh;)
    Apply for 500 and take it from there

Got shotgun licence today :D

Advertisement