Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House share - Who pays tv licence?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who pays the tv licence in your house?

I'm now house sharing and paying the tv licence myself but wondering what others are doing.

Do you pay tv licence? 11 votes

Don't contribute to it
    0% 0 votes
    Pay the full licence myself
    0% 0 votes
    Share the cost with my house mates
    18% 2 votes
    Don't have tv
    81% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

With any house share I've lived in, all tenants have contributed equally to the TV licence. Unless the house was owner occupied, I wouldn't expect any one person to assume the sole financial responsibility.

It's more equitable if everybody just pays an equal share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If it was owner occupied, would you consider it fair or unfair to pay towards the licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It depends on the situation.

If it was a standard house share type tenancy with a fixed term, etc. then I wouldn't mind so much.

However, if it was the sort where the tenant paid a set amount per week to cover rent and bills, then I don't think they should be required to pay extra for the TV licence. That should have been factored to the agreed monthly sum already.

Advertisement