Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being laid off and my rights

Options
  • 08-10-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well, sad news for me this morning as I just got handed my two week notice. My question really is, who can I contact for information about my working rights?

The reason I ask is because I myself started in a full time position on 24th May, was told that I was being let go today due to "company not meeting targets so have to make cuts" etc etc, which is fine right....

I was told that another girl who was due to finish up her contract covering maternity leave is now being kept on to cover 2-3 days a week split over her department and mine...I wanted to find out if this was ok legal wise, i.e. should they have given me the oppurtunity to work 2 or 3 days a week as I am a full time employee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

in your circumstances you are been made redundant which basically means your job no longer exists within the company. if your work load is been completely taken over by a single other person who does nothing else other than your job role then there is a case for unfair dismissal

However you say that she is taking on your role and another, then there is nothing wrong with that.

The selection process for redundancy is tricky, are you confidently able to say that you could have taken on both roles that this other staff memeber is now covering, have they any special skills that you dont that would make them be selected over you?

I can see where you are coming from with your questions, why dont you address them to your management team?

ps who told you about this other person maybe its just rumor or are you in receipt of the full facts.

best people to contact are NERA or the Citizens Advice over the phone as their websites may not give you a specific answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here. I was told by my own manager when she gave me my notice that this other person would be covering 2-3 days between both departments, or so I understood it. From talk here in the office since I believe she is being kept on in her current role (working Mon-Fri) and doing her usual one day helping in my department. I'm not sure how I could find out otherwise.

To answer your question above, I'm "overqualified" for the job, over 6 years working in admin roles, took it back i May as I was offered the position 3 weeks after returning from travelling for a year...I think though I don't have a leg to stand on though, as the other girl, despite being less qualified then me, is trained in both departments, so thats the excuse to keep her on...

I'm going to take the advice posted above though and make sure I'm right, a jobs worth fighting for these days!!

Advertisement