Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B licence holder wanting to start with a 125cc

• 08-10-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi there,

About to go out and purchase a 125cc bike for daily commuting, some sort of a scooter. I have read that having a b licence already means that I can ride a 50cc no problem, but I am fairly tall and not so light (not fat!!), so am thinking I want to get started on a 125.

Do i need to sit a theory test for a 125?

Do i need to do a test on one?

What's generally a good one with a bit of poke to get started on?

I really don't have a huge amount to Spend one so am constantly checking adverts for something good.

Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction??

Thanks for your time,

Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Best advice I was given when starting out 7 years ago was not to bother with a 50cc scooter and get a 125 scooter instead. This means you wil have to apply for a "A" licence which will let you drive bigger bikes in the future if you wish to, having passed your full test.

I like Vespas or LMLs PX's, traditional metal bodied scooters, (not plastic) with manual gear shift on the handlebar and a clutch just like a motorbike. Better than automatic scooters for taking off from the lights. Parts are very very cheap and they have reliable engines. Storage is good on the Vespa too. Oh yeah 6 euro for a full tank!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Best advice I was given when starting out 7 years ago was not to bother with a 50cc scooter and get a 125 scooter instead. This means you wil have to apply for a "A" licence which will let you drive bigger bikes in the future if you wish to, having passed your full test.

I like Vespas or LMLs PX's, traditional metal bodied scooters, (not plastic) with manual gear shift on the handlebar and a clutch just like a motorbike. Better than automatic scooters for taking off from the lights. Parts are very very cheap and they have reliable engines. Storage is good on the Vespa too. Oh yeah 6 euro for a full tank!! :D

Yeah was thinking of a Vespasian alright but not sure what they're really like, never been on one. I rented a peugot of some sort in Spain a year or 2 ago, a 125, and it was pretty handy with the auto on it, and also a nice big bike.

I'm 6 fot 4 so would a Vespasian be big enough? And also, are they 125? What speed box is on them? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

you'll need to sit a theory test alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I realy need to get my A into G, and get this finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

the whole thing about being able to ride a 50cc or less on a B license should be added into your sticky too, as that was my main question being a non rider at the minute!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I would always advise someone to get an A licence.

Do the theory test, get a learners permit, get leasons, get a learner legal bike, about 5 month later apply for the full test.

That way, after you have passed the test, and your two year restriction is up, you can ride any bike you want.
    Also - once you have the licence, you have it. Even of you do not own or ride a bike for years, you still have the licnece if you want to get back into biking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Get an A licence. If for no other reason than to learn to drive again. Driving a bike is completely different to driving a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Honda Varadero 125 is a tall bike and reliable.

Advertisement