Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless bad?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

I had a friend visiting over from Paris and she was shocked to see a wireless in the house with a child and said it's REALLY BAD for kids because of the radiantion or something. I had never heard of this before but she said in France it's common knowledge.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

It's nothing to worry about. While wifi works on the same wavelength as a microwave oven, it only outputs at about 100mW, which isn't enough to even come close to cooking you.

If you're worried about high power microwave energy then stay away from the big yellow thing in the sky - it puts out an awful lot more than wifi will.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There was a lot of scare mongering about it but as with a lot of things that people get all upset about once you educate yourself to the facts then you find out it is actually nothing to worry about:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If you knew how many different sources of radiation there are in day to day life, it would probably scare the hell out of you.

Wifi is very low power and really not something to be concerned about.

Of course, you could just make the kids wear tin foil hats when at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Not a problem at all. I'm actually a PhD student researching radiation carcinogenesis so this is one topic I know all about and I have no qualms about having wireless in my house.

With that logic you'd want to be throwing away your phone too; wireless LAN devices transmit at a lower power than mobiles. I wouldn't be worried about them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

As has been posted already, WiFi is not at all dangerous. People hear the word radiation and get worried when in reality it is very specific types of radiation that is dangerous.

Advertisement