Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for the Best HTC Phone To Buy in Irish Stores or Northern Ireland

Options
  • 08-10-2010 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey guys I want to buy a I phone I'm kind of put off the idea as I dont want to pay 50 euro a month and be contracted.

So Ive decided to Buy a Htc Phone and don't know what to buy.

I want wifi android and memory on the phone.

Whats the best I can get for 350 400 or 500 euro ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Specifically HTC or would you look at any Android phone?

Best HTC at the moment is HTC Desire or Desire HD. Links are to Expansys... I have no idea on if or where you might get a better price. Expansys take Laser card anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

What about the Htc Hd 2 ?

is that not better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Comparable hardware (I think Desire HD might be a bit better?) but the HD2 is a Windows Mobile phone, not Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Sorry to bump an old thread but any thoughts on whats out at the moment, or whats going to be coming out??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

HTC Sensation on the way.

Desire S out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm using Desire S at the moment & its capable of anything I need it to do. Very fast, good battery, feels great in the hand, good screen, 8GB card. The screen is slightly smaller than top of the range phones & it doesn't have dual core - but that will only effect you when very high end games are released in 6 months time.

I'm lovin' It...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm using Desire S at the moment & its capable of anything I need it to do. Very fast, good battery, feels great in the hand, good screen, 8GB card. The screen is slightly smaller than top of the range phones & it doesn't have dual core - but that will only effect you when very high end games are released in 6 months time.

I'm lovin' It...

+1 on the S it does it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

The Desire S is a bit pointless IMO. It's basically the exact same hardware in a slightly different shell. 768mb RAM, that's the only thing that's been updated, oh and Gingerbread, but it wouldn't be a good upgrade from a Desire. Those (Desire S, Incredible S, Wildfire S) were really phones HTC just released to release tbf.

You're best off waiting for the Sensation or something alike as it's more future-proof with it's dual-core CPU and has the whole new Sense 3.0.

The Desire S is old hardware in a new chassis with new software, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

LukeS_ wrote: »
    The Desire S is a bit pointless IMO. It's basically the exact same hardware in a slightly different shell. 768mb RAM, that's the only thing that's been updated, oh and Gingerbread, but it wouldn't be a good upgrade from a Desire. Those (Desire S, Incredible S, Wildfire S) were really phones HTC just released to release tbf.

You're best off waiting for the Sensation or something alike as it's more future-proof with it's dual-core CPU and has the whole new Sense 3.0.

The Desire S is old hardware in a new chassis with new software, basically.

+1

Unless cash or network is a major factor there is zero reason not to wait for the Sensation.

LukeS_ wrote: »

Just to reword this in a less sensational way:
    The Desire S is a progressive upgrade of the Desire. It uses similar architecture but adds RAM, front facing camera, most up to date software. It uses proven hardware & is capable of handling everything that can be thrown at it in the current market.

If you want a bigger screen, go for the Sensation. It has a bigger screen. It also has a dual core processor. There are little to no apps written to take advantage of a dual core processor at this point & when they are released they will be made up mainly of games. These will start to roll out in the next six months. In six months time there will be a new line of phones, with more powerful dual core processors - the games will be optimised for these & your Sensation will not be capable of handling them as well.
    The Sensation is not future proof, no phone is. A dual core processor is only useful when software is specifically written/optimised for that processor type. Most software will not be optimised for dual core, as the developers will want the widest consumer base & the least costly development process. In about a years time it will be more relevant to have dual core.

If you you are the kind of power user that has to have the most powerful and best phone at all times, then get the Sensation when it arrives on the market (when?) but you will need to sell it a couple of months later (that is if you are a power user) for the next best thing.

The Desire S is a very (very) capable phone. Make your own decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Great post bluefoam, this was the very reasoning I went for xperia arc, and because I love its looks over the iPhone carbon copy galaxy 2. I will renew again in 12 months time when I see how things are going with dual core / quad core whatever.

Great post bluefoam, this was the very reasoning I went for xperia arc, and because I love its looks over the iPhone carbon copy galaxy 2. I will renew again in 12 months time when I see how things are going with dual core / quad core whatever.

The Arc looks like a return to form from Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

My only problem with the Desire and the Desire S by extension, is the pitifully poor amount of internal memory. Many of the largest apps on the market are not SD ready and as such you'll find you have barely any space left after Maps, Flash and Facebook update themselves a few times. Go for the Nexus S.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

hare, I can attest to this. I have a Desire, and while being a brilliant phone - very snappy, and will do anything I want of it - its battery life is pretty damn horrible to be honest, and I'm running out of space for apps, despite having a 32GB SD card in the damn thing. A lot of apps simply don't want to be moved from the phone, and though rooting your device can partially fix this, it's a pain in the hole, and shouldn't have to be done in the first place, not for something so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The Desire S has improved hardware and software.

Hardware revision with more ram.

But the biggest improvement is in better software and and hardware management.

Dont mean the hardware is pretty much the same that the performance is the same. Plenty of reviews out there proving that.

Its a great little phone and will do for everyone. Unless you are a very hardcore user and want the newest gadget then wait for HTC Sensation.

Ive seen Desire S being sold for around 350 brand new on adverts.ie
    Plenty of people selling them of if they get them as a gift or an upgrade and just need some cash

Serephucus wrote: »
    hare, I can attest to this. I have a Desire, and while being a brilliant phone - very snappy, and will do anything I want of it - its battery life is pretty damn horrible to be honest, and I'm running out of space for apps, despite having a 32GB SD card in the damn thing. A lot of apps simply don't want to be moved from the phone, and though rooting your device can partially fix this, it's a pain in the hole, and shouldn't have to be done in the first place, not for something so simple.

Have you tried conditioning your battery? How many apps do you have on the phone. I have tonnes & am nowhere near filling the memory. But I don't generally hold onto apps I don't use. I suppose if you have loads of games it could fill up memory...

I've got about thirty apps? At a rough guess? Not too sure to be honest.

Similar to myself. Have you tried deleting the cache from your apps, internet etc...

Yup. It's gotten to the point where I have to delete an app or two, download the app/update, an only if it can be transferred to the SD card, can I reinstall the other apps. If it can't, it's decision time.

I bought a big SD card to avoid exactly this situation. I might get a 2.3 ROM and see if that helps things. I'm running unrooted HTC 2.2 at the moment.

Advertisement