Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School homework has 'no real benefit'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

For me (my child is in 3rd class), homework causes so much stress and worry, that I have already had to speak to the teacher a few times.

I enjoy the fact that homework lets me see how he's doing in school, so I get him to wait until I get in from work before he does it. However, at 6pm we are both tired and the last thing we want to down to do homework. Anyway, the stress begins when he realises he has forgotten a book, or a copy....they leave their books in school and only bring home the relevant books for homework. So far, after 6wks back, I'd say there were two days when he brought home the right books. It's 2.15 before the teacher writes the homework down for them so they've to write it in their journal and get all the relevant books in their schoolbags, within 15 minutes.

So then he gets upset when he realises he has the wrong book/workbook/copy because he'll be in trouble the next day....there have been tears in our house most evenings....

I actually dread that hour every evening now and would be all for the recommendation that the idea of homework is reviewed....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

cats.life wrote: »
    i dont mind the home work for half hour when they get home, but when it goes over an hour and half thats stupid, few times last term when my lad was in 6th he got heaps of it to do ( a new teacher startefor 6th class) the child was crying doing it cos he was afraid of teacher , so i chatted to the nose wipe (teacher) and told him to calm it with the work at home, now im usualy calm and hold back on things but not that day, i let fly . my lad is very good at the homework and finised what he got, so this is out of order by this new teacher coming from another school shouting at the lads and girls who were excellent at their school work, after that they were told if they dont get the work done in the 45mins , the parent is to write a note . yes home is good but not over half hour or an hour for 2ndery school. im told that teacher is nice this year.

I feel sorry for your child. If you have no respect for teachers, how on earth do you expect your child to have some? Calling a professional a "nose wipe" is bang out of order, as is marching into a school and "letting fly" at someone whose job it is to educate your child! What kind of lesson is that to teach your child? :eek: If you have an issue, there are adult ways to deal with it.

And, for the record, in sixth class, the teacher is preparing your child for the huge amount of work expected of him in secondary school. I don't think an hour and a half is unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

deemark wrote: »
    I feel sorry for your child. If you have no respect for teachers, how on earth do you expect your child to have some? Calling a professional a "nose wipe" is bang out of order, as is marching into a school and "letting fly" at someone whose job it is to educate your child! What kind of lesson is that to teach your child? :eek: If you have an issue, there are adult ways to deal with it.

And, for the record, in sixth class, the teacher is preparing your child for the huge amount of work expected of him in secondary school. I don't think an hour and a half is unreasonable.
    read private message ive sent you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I wish they'd do 'show and tell' here - now I know it's straight out of American tv, but it's looks like such fun. I have so many things in mind to send in for my son's show and tell.... if he had any:(
    And I would LOVE to help him build a pyramid for homework, or a volcano, or something. We just fill in the blanks in workbooks zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fittle wrote: »
    For me (my child is in 3rd class), homework causes so much stress and worry, that I have already had to speak to the teacher a few times.

I enjoy the fact that homework lets me see how he's doing in school, so I get him to wait until I get in from work before he does it. However, at 6pm we are both tired and the last thing we want to down to do homework. Anyway, the stress begins when he realises he has forgotten a book, or a copy....they leave their books in school and only bring home the relevant books for homework. So far, after 6wks back, I'd say there were two days when he brought home the right books. It's 2.15 before the teacher writes the homework down for them so they've to write it in their journal and get all the relevant books in their schoolbags, within 15 minutes.

So then he gets upset when he realises he has the wrong book/workbook/copy because he'll be in trouble the next day....there have been tears in our house most evenings....

I actually dread that hour every evening now and would be all for the recommendation that the idea of homework is reviewed....

+1 about the forgotten books, we have that nearly every night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

suggestion tomake sure he dont forget any books or copys , i look through my lads bag in the car and if he has forgotten anything i just nip in to school to get it from his school box . teacher dont mind me doing it, it mght not work if you have him collected by bus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I would say the entirety of the first four years of my primary education were a complete waste of time. Except for penmanship. That was the only thing I learned in school. I learned how to read and basic maths before I started school. I was bored stiff and played hookie at 5. Drove my mother demented.

Completely agree. I learned much more at home, and my mother taught me to read. I disliked school and was constantly bored. The relentless routine, petty regulation and constant supervision was very oppressive. As for the long list of things school does for you, I have another list. This is what children learn in the first few years at school:

They learn to sit still and be passive.
    They learn to be the same as everyone else.
    They learn if they are different they will be bullied.
    They learn to take orders and listen to instructions.
    They learn to live by rules and regulation.
    They learn to listen for a bell, to watch the clock and obey the teacher.
    They learn to please the teacher.
    They learn everything of value is outside of them.
    They learn they must fit in, and that fitting in means being the same as everyone else- doing the same thing, thinking the same thoughts, saying the same things and asking permission for everything.
    They learn they can ask certain questions.
    They learn not to question.
    They learn how to be completely bored.
    They learn how to be dumb.

cats.life wrote: »
    suggestion tomake sure he dont forget any books or copys , i look through my lads bag in the car and if he has forgotten anything i just nip in to school to get it from his school box . teacher dont mind me doing it, it mght not work if you have him collected by bus etc.

Not do-able in my situation unfortunately. I work f/t and have a minder collect him...it's not something I could ask her to do, as she collects another child after mine and is under pressure of time.

the simple solution, or the simplest I could think of was to ask teacher to write it on the board earlier than 2.15....but it's not something she can do she tells me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My Mother was a national teacher for years and when I used to complain about it ( homework) she would explain that it was some parents who demanded the homework, not the teachers at all. Now this makes sense as teachers do not want to be correcting the stuff in their own time.

I wonder what would happen if you told the teacher, the head, whover, that your child wouldn't be doing homework as you didn't believe in it's educational value and the school day was long enough for a child. Let's say up to 10 or 11 years and it's a given that you are happy with your child's ability and progress. That would be my ideal plan for my child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

planetX wrote: »
    I wish they'd do 'show and tell' here - now I know it's straight out of American tv, but it's looks like such fun. I have so many things in mind to send in for my son's show and tell.... if he had any:(
    And I would LOVE to help him build a pyramid for homework, or a volcano, or something. We just fill in the blanks in workbooks zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We had show and tell. I think its great. We get lots more practise at public speaking and presenting. Probably why we appear more confident.

I remember bringing in my volcano before it became fashionable and a clock that used marbles.

My mother despaired over the take home projects because it cost her more money. It meant buying more supplies, like modelling clay and plexiglass. ALso she had a small baby [my brother] so was busy and hugely resented these projects, having come from the IRish education system she thought they were stupid.

• Advertisement

Actually building things, or doing anything remotely useful, wouldn't be boring enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I disagree.
    When my eldest started primary at the new parents meeting the principal read out a piece on what children learn in the first few years.

They learn to listen,
    they learn to share,
    they learn to look out for each other,
    they learn to wait their turn,
    they get a chance to use their manners
    They learn to take off their own coat,
    they learn to ask permission
    they learn that they can not fight or hit
    they learn to mind their bags
    they learn to sit and complete tasks
    they learn to ask questions

There are so many 'lessons' which are not on the circulum which are absorbed in those first two years.

isn't that what pre-school is for??
    maybe thats the difference i see with certain kids in our school.
    some seem much ..i dunno-relaxed/used to it more than others.

i definitely think homework is essential for children.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Pedagogy: The strategies of instruction, or a style of instruction used by teachers.

Well if we look around at how much the world has changed and then look at school, 100 years ago we had kids sitting in rows with the teacher at the top of the class, and it's the same to day.

There was a wonderful TEDtalk about child driven learning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10663353

incredible.

Oracle wrote: »
    Completely agree. I learned much more at home, and my mother taught me to read. I disliked school and was constantly bored. The relentless routine, petty regulation and constant supervision was very oppressive. As for the long list of things school does for you, I have another list. This is what children learn in the first few years at school:

They learn to sit still and be passive.
    They learn to be the same as everyone else.
    They learn if they are different they will be bullied.
    They learn to take orders and listen to instructions.
    They learn to live by rules and regulation.
    They learn to listen for a bell, to watch the clock and obey the teacher.
    They learn to please the teacher.
    They learn everything of value is outside of them.
    They learn they must fit in, and that fitting in means being the same as everyone else- doing the same thing, thinking the same thoughts, saying the same things and asking permission for everything.
    They learn they can ask certain questions.
    They learn not to question.
    They learn how to be completely bored.
    They learn how to be dumb.

^^ = wow..

i disagreewith most of it.

noteveryone can homeschool.not every school suits every child.
    to say school teaches you to be dumb,well thats dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

school home work has real benefits,it give parents a chance to see how advanced their offsprings are at school,i sat every evening giving each of my children half an hour of my time, i am glad i did, i helped lay the cornerstone of what they are today, one of them was bad at reading, spelling and paying attention, another was slow at maths, another was lazy, and the other could not put the books away, through that time i gave them i do know it helped, it is very hard on teachers looking after, teaching, keeping them quiet and sitting at the age of four, five and six, 25 to 30 in numbersHOME WORK HAS BIG BENEFITS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I reckon the school day uses up enough time in a childs life especially in primary school, they deserve to have a good quality of life to be enabled to relax, play and be kids when they get home at the end of their day.:)

Unfortunately, 'relaxing' for most children nowadays means vegetating in front of the TV for hours. I'm inclined to think Math and reading are more worthwhile activities, no matter how much the parents and children complain.

A far greater tragedy is the amount of time wasted on indoctrinating our young children in superstition and superficial spirituality.

thebullkf wrote: »
    .... to say school teaches you to be dumb .....

Yes, thats what I'm saying, in school, children learn to be dumb. In fact, it's worse than that, the school system is deliberately designed, to create dumbness.

Orizio wrote: »
    Unfortunately, 'relaxing' for most children nowadays means vegetating in front of the TV for hours. I'm inclined to think Math and reading are more worthwhile activities, no matter how much the parents and children complain.

A far greater tragedy is the amount of time wasted on indoctrinating our young children in superstition and superficial spirituality.

Could you expand on that a little?

Superstition? I don't spend any amount of time indoctrinating my young child in superstition as far as I'm aware...
    And superficial spirituality is what exactly:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

As a mature student I have found the importance of homework/ study.
    To keep up with my studies I have to spend at least 3 hours a night studying and doing homework to keep up.

Having Kids in secondary school doing this prepares them for Collage.

As for the above point I also believe that more time should be give to Practical things like Learning Touch Typing, Entrepreneurship ect,and such.

In Conclusion Home work is a Vital part of the education Presses, as it will prepare students for there future, Plus as said before it dose let parents know how your child is doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I think homework has a real and definite benefit, but the key thing is the form of that homework. I think the other important thing is parental involvement with the homwork.

What am I blathering on about. In school I found my homework in Maths for example to be very useful I hated doing it (thou I liked Maths), but I definitely benefited from it. But then again my mum was a math teacher herself and was super involved. Lets take Irish on the other hand - as soon as I entered secondary school my homework every day without fail was to learn off an a4 essay every night from a book of essay and be able to write it in the morning. This would have taken me hours had I done it and meant I was doing out. So even as a 12 year old I just said f**k that I'm not doing that. And I didn't. Everyday we spent ten mins of Irish class writing out said essay, whici I of course cheated on and got caught all the time. And my Irish never progressed beyond my primary school level.

So I think the point is that homework is a good thing if its usefully constructed to practice some key points and make you apply your knowledge and push your ability. If it is pointless busywork then its just a complete waste of both home time and class time in correcting it. I also think parental involvement in homework is a good thing. But there are 2 problems with that - not all parents have the time to get involved and not all parents are able to do the homework themselves.

Finally when it comes to languages I feel conventional teaching wasn't very good for me. It turns out much later on in my career I write as a part of my job - that has done far more than my English than homework ever seemed to do - in terms of expressing myself I mean. Grammar is unavoidable but I think I'd learned whatever grammar I know in primary school. Somehow the course in secondary school didn't train my ability to express myself through words, which is just as important, if not more so, than knowing your Shakespere etc.

• Advertisement

Lets take Irish on the other hand - as soon as I entered secondary school my homework every day without fail was to learn off an a4 essay every night from a book of essay and be able to write it in the morning. This would have taken me hours had I done it and meant I was doing out. So even as a 12 year old I just said f**k that I'm not doing that. And I didn't. Everyday we spent ten mins of Irish class writing out said essay, whici I of course cheated on and got caught all the time. And my Irish never progressed beyond my primary school level.

I'm laughing here - we used to have to learn off a page of Irish off by heart and write it out the next day. It wasn't possible to do even with the best will in the world, but it did teach the whole class to invent new ways of cheating (came in very useful later in exams too). Must have been a standard teaching method :eek:

Oracle wrote: »
    Yes, thats what I'm saying, in school, children learn to be dumb. In fact, it's worse than that, the school system is deliberately designed, to create dumbness.

ok. so a system learning is deliberately designed to create dumbness??

explain please?:eek:

thats an outrageous statement,obviously metrovelvet concurs.
    i'm flabbergasted.

By 'dumb', I think the poster means the literal sense of the word - it teaches children not to speak, but to be quiet and not to interact with on another, or the teacher, until given permission to do so.

I don't think the poster means 'dumb' in the american sense......:)

By 'dumb', I think the poster means the literal sense of the word - it teaches children not to speak, but to be quiet and not to interact with on another, or the teacher, until given permission to do so.

I don't think the poster means 'dumb' in the american sense......:)

i don't think so.

ok. so a system learning is deliberately designed to create dumbness??

explain please?:eek:

thats an outrageous statement,obviously metrovelvet concurs.
    i'm flabbergasted.

Because anyone who is not average or just below will lose out.

I cant think of ONE person I know who liked school. If everyone hates it that much, there is something wrong with it.

Because anyone who is not average or just below will lose out

so this proves that schools make you dumb?
    I cant think of ONE person I know who liked school. If everyone hates it that much, there is something wrong with it.

oh sweet jeebus.

the criteria for somethings benefit is based on its popularity then??

why isn't hardcore porn on the curriculum then i wonder..? :rolleyes:

c'mon metro,i think you know better than that.

i liked school, so did all my family,and most of my friends...just because you don't like something doesn't mean its detrimental to you.

most kids don't like having their earsscrubbed..is that bad for them?
    most kids hate cabbage.. and so on.

so this proves that schools make you dumb?

oh sweet jeebus.

the criteria for somethings benefit is based on its popularity then??

why isn't hardcore porn on the curriculum then i wonder..? :rolleyes:

c'mon metro,i think you know better than that.

i liked school, so did all my family,and most of my friends...just because you don't like something doesn't mean its detrimental to you.

most kids don't like having their earsscrubbed..is that bad for them?
    most kids hate cabbage.. and so on.

You know what. If hard core porn in were IRish more people would learn it. Not a bad idea. That is exactly my point.

School teaches you that learning is BOOORING!!!!!!!!!!

You know what. If hard core porn in were IRish more people would learn it. Not a bad idea. That is exactly my point.

School teaches you that learning is BOOORING!!!!!!!!!!

excuse me??

excuse me??

Im not suggesting primary school students be shown hard core porn in Irish.

Language in general needs to be overhauled to latch on to kids natural curiosity which seems to get killed the minute they start school.

• Advertisement

Im not suggesting primary school students be shown hard core porn in Irish.

Language in general needs to be overhauled to latch on to kids natural curiosity which seems to get killed the minute they start school.

kids need structure. they also need support and a learning environment.

the majority of irish people don't speak irish because its not spoken outside of school-its also a difficult language to learn.coupled with the fact that most irish parents dislike it due to their own experiences,thus creating a negative attachment to irish from the beginning.Gaeltacht kids speak it no bother.. why?.because its encouraged/re-inforced at home.

homework is fine if monitored,engaged with parents/guardians.
    to say school dumbs you down is silly,ignorant and untrue.

Advertisement