Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247 and network key connection??

• 08-10-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm wondering can anyone help me out here, i recently sold a Netopia 2247 router to a member on Adverts a few days ago and we cant seem to be able to join his network at home by using the router,

Fergus has the router plugged in and powered up and all the lights are on including the wireless connection light and he can see his home connection through the router, so when he goes to join the network and types in the network key that i used for it originally it tells him that the key is wrong and to enter the correct key to join,

i'm 100% positive that the key i have here is the correct key,

he has also tried his own key from his original router and that doesnt work either,

is the router locked to our home connection or can it be used by someone else like Fergus at a different location?

can he or i reset the router so Fergus can use it at his home?

if nothing can be done or such then i'll gladly take it back for a full refund.

hopefully someone here will be able to help us out

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If can connect through the Ethernet cable, log on to the router, then he can set his own password. This is actually something he should do anyway.

If the security is WPA, and he is running Windows Vista, then it may not work. Vista has a known issue with WPA. This could be why his password doesn't work.

Either way, he should set a new password, and make sure security is set to WPA or WPA2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Like Jor_el says, connect via ethernet cable, go to http://192.168.1.254 and you can see the wireless settings there.

Alternatively, you can also just reset the router (little hidden button at the back) and then the SSID & key will be as per the label on the back of the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hi jor el, i was just speaking with Fergus there but my credit ran out,

he can connect to the internet through an ethernet connection with the router so obviously he needs to change the network key to his own personal key for security reasons,

i cant for the life of me remember the layout of the Netopia homepage after not using Eircom broadband in over 6mths and cant direct him to where he needs to go to change the key on the homepage,

i've asked Fergus to reply here and some good folks that actually have the Netopia 2247 at hand might be able to guide him through it,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Get him to reset the router to its original settings
    Push a pin in at the back and wait for all the lights to go off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

tell him to type http://192.168.1.254 into the address bar at the top of his internet browser hit enter then it will bring up eircom broadband interface page on the left of the screen there is A menu and wireless will be there then he can change the wireless key and even can view the current one that is set on the router he will need to do this over ethernet(wired) connection..
    or either he could just reset it might be easier:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fergus o brien

hi john sorry for not getting back sooner ,i got into the home page and sorted it thanks. the router reverted back to the original key (if this is because its on a different network i dont know ) but the original key was available from the home page so i got it and all worked fine . thanks for going to the trouble of starting this thread john and thanks to the guys for their replies ,take care mate .

Advertisement