If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a 200Hz Full HD TV - best deals please?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I want a 200Hz TV coz it will be easier to watch for prolonged periods ( I get migraines occasionally) and it will be better for sport.

Having done some research, I've discovered that there aren't too many 200Hz TVs out there! :(

<Snip>

Thanks.

D. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Dinarius

200Hz TV's tend to be positioned towards the top end of manufactures TV ranges so you'll find they start to include all the latest tech as well such as NET TV and 3D readiness etc.

Have a look here for the Philips range that includes 200Hz refresh rates, The 8 series TV's from 37" upwards

http://www.philipsshop.ie/eightseries.htm

We have them all on display (apart from the 52" which I HOPE to have next week) so feel free to call on in and have a look.

Cheers
    Ash

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Dinarius.

Unfortunately I can not comment on Pixmania as this is the RicherSounds Part of Boards.ie

I can however offer the Following screen:
    is the LG 42LD790. This is a 200Hz LCD that's priced at 729 Euro and this is a 200Hz LCD, also features the net cast feature that allows you to browse certain websites from the TV, the picture on this screen is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks guys.

Philips TVs are out of my budget and 200Hz can be bought for a lot less than that, though I accept that they have other features. e.g. massive contrast ratio!

Will look into the LG. Seems a very good price.

Any other info appreciated.

Finally, I didn't realize that this thread was devoted to one company (silly me!) - where should I have posted?

Thanks again.

D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Dinarius, please see the Charter for the rules regarding this forum, particularly in respect of mention of other retailers - I've snipped your original post.

If you are looking for general advice from Boardies, feel free to cross post on the Home Entertainment Forums here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=863, people are not encouraged to answer general queries here, the forum is primarily for commercial interraction with Richersounds and the Philips Shop.

Ritz.

Apologies for the faux pas! :rolleyes:

I've already posted on the HE forum.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

Kenny,

What do you have in Plasma TVs of similar spec. i.e. full HD, 37"-42", refresh rate of at least 200Hz etc...etc....

Also, where are you based and is the LG on display there?

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Dinarius.

Plasma technology works differently to LCD.

Plasmas are running at 600Hz but it's technically 50Hz that's cleverly used :

A Plasma panel display has near instantaneous response times on the order of 2 milliseconds. What this implies is that a plasma TV subpixel is only alight for a fraction of a second. Typically, most conventional Plasma TVs display video at 60fps (research has shown that the human eye cannot tell any significant difference in motion and smoothness of videos at higher frame rates). This implies that each frame has to be displayed for 1/60 or 17ms. However, the sub pixels of a plasma TV stay alight only for around 2ms when excited. Thus, to display a single frame for 1/60 seconds, the plasma panel excites the sub-pixels in pulses so as to keep all the pixels “bright” so that they can continuously display the desired frame.
    Thus, for example, a 60Hz plasma panel can have 10 pulses per frame, to display the image. Effectively, the screen is being refreshed 60Hz times 10 pulses/frame which gives us a value of 600Hz. This is what Plasma manufacturers refer to as the Sub field drive refresh rate. If the Plasma panel performs 8 pulses per frame, it gives a sub field drive refresh rate of 480Hz. Now when the displayed frame has to be changed to the next frame, the ultra-fast response times of the Plasma TV sub pixels enables an almost instantaneous transition to the next frame.
    As a result, even though only 60 frames are displayed per second by the Plasma TV, the near instantaneous transition between frames drastically minimizes motion blur and image ghosting. While the subfield drive terminology is a bit misleading as each frame is not being updated 600 times a second, it still portrays the inherent advantage of Plasma TVs when it comes to fast moving content due to its near instantaneous pixel response times.

I hope this helps.

We are based in Belfast and the LG 42 at 729 Euro is on display in the shop.

Let me know if we can help any further, but I would suggest that the LG is the best value 200Hz screen around.

Regards

Dave

Just been looking at the LG website............

http://www.lg.com/ie/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-42LD790.jsp

http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-42LD790.jsp

Only difference is the uk/ie appelation. But, on one link the TV is 32" while on the other it's 42".

My mistake or theirs?

I just want to be clear that we're talking about a 42" tv. :)

Thanks.

D.

Edited: Just been to a local TV store and saw the Samsung LE40C750. Gorgeous piece of kit! Only two inches smaller than the LG, but the thinness of the frame around the screen makes it appear a lot smaller. I really liked it. What price is it from you guys? Thanks. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.